Beyond Earth AND more Civ 5?

True_Candyman

Emperor
"It would have been I think easy to make another civilization game just like the old civilization games, but firaxis is being bold"

Very interesting quote there with lots to be read into from the 5 minute reveal video at about 4m50s

To me this says that civ 6 is not due for a release any time soon and that this is their big project for civilization over the next couple of years, and potentially that means more content could yet be released for civ 5 before we hear about a civ 6.

Hopes look to be on for a third expansion of civ 5 :crazyeye:

Doubtful the whole Firaxis ship that isn't working on XCOM it probably now on Beyond Earth.

I still think Civ6 should be targeted for 2016 for the 25th Anniversary.

However, I'm surprised by the quick timetable for this game. Given that, I don't think it's realistic to expect any Civ stuff until after that is released.

The lead designers of Beyond Earth are Will Miller and David McDonough. I wonder what Ed Beach is busy with?

Doubtful the whole Firaxis ship that isn't working on XCOM it probably now on Beyond Earth.

Yep, no mention of Ed Beach being involved with BE, which is telling imo. I very much hope he stays on and will be the lead for civ6.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beyond Earth be the main entry in the civ franchise for a couple years, and waiting until the later part of this decade to see Civ 6, SMAC was something I played when I was very young and I am quite excited to see a spiritual remake today on the civ 5 engine.

The lead designers of Beyond Earth are Will Miller and David McDonough. I wonder what Ed Beach is busy with?

Civ 5: Expansion 3 :p

The feel i get since the release of BNW really is that there is no rush for civ 6 after civ 5 has done so well. If this game takes off and mrits an expansion, and if interest is maintained in civ v, i can see them going for a third expansion to experiment in some directions to take the next game and add some features fans have been looking for.

Of course, this is no proof, and i'm kinda going with hope on this one. I like the sound of beyond earth because its different, but i cant escape the feeling that civ 6 would be more of a wallet drain than a step up or something different at this point.

Here's hoping that you can port your civ V game into Beyond Earth, with bonuses. People who first complete science victory get to the planet first, but people who are military or cultural powerhouses get benefits to establishing their cultural identity or stronger starting units to protect their settlements.

Hopes look to be on for a third expansion of civ 5 :crazyeye:

The problem is more from a marketing standpoint. Civ: Beyond Earth is going to take a lot of Civ 5 players. Another Civ 5 expansion would be in direct competition with Beyond Earth and any potential expansions it might have. I think DLC is more likely and they are probably in the brainstorming phase for Civ 6 by now if they are wanting to release it within the next 3 years.

In my opinion the earliest possible release date for Civ6 is Fall 2015.

Well... I definitely can wait, since we are going to have Beyond Earth.

And Civ5? I don't even expect more DLCs, there are awesome mods during construction :p

Here's hoping that you can port your civ V game into Beyond Earth, with bonuses. People who first complete science victory get to the planet first, but people who are military or cultural powerhouses get benefits to establishing their cultural identity or stronger starting units to protect their settlements.

While I played civilization 5 and had the science victory, I sometimes wondered what happens/who was in the space ship after one more turn.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beyond Earth be the main entry in the civ franchise for a couple years, and waiting until the later part of this decade to see Civ 6, SMAC was something I played when I was very young and I am quite excited to see a spiritual remake today on the civ 5 engine.

I think a year is enough, CivBE for 2014, and Civ6 for 2015. Civ5 may be ok for SP players. But it's on life support for MP, and with Civ3 and Civ4 very potentially losing Gamespy services, things are looking pretty sad for the MP Community. Civ6 with real MP can not come soon enough. And though CivBE has 8 player MP, if it is following the same general model as SMAC and Colonization it's not meant for balanced MP so it's not a game that will take off in MP, just something nice to play with your friends casually.

CS

I expect we'll be seeing Civ VI late in 2015 - Civ: BE is the placeholder, the game to keep us Civ fans busy for the next ~12 months. My hunch is that, come PAX East next year, we'll get a teaser along similar lines for the next "regular" iteration of the series.

Plus, if we look at timing patterns, Civ IV: Col was released in 2009, Civ V was announced at PAX the next year (and then released that fall.) I think it's reasonable to assume that Civ VI development has already started in an early stage but we won't hear about it for another year.

Civ BE is the next expansion of C5 if you know what I mean.

After that onwards to C6.

My 2 cents.

What are the odds of BE Xpac if it does well (as Alpha Centauri did)? How would that play into your time table predictions for CiVI or CiV Xpac3 (the latter seeming a far more likely possibility)?

I was thinking exactly the same as Camikaze: wonder what Ed Beach is up to :mischief:. I've been around since Civ 1 and one thing that's resonated with Civ 5 more than any other is the sentiment that people don't really want to start over again with a new version that has a handful of civs and systems that will roll out to us over a couple of expansions. I think Civ 5 still has room for more content - yes, it feels complete as it is, but adding to it could only enrich it even further. I genuinely hope that Ed is working on a third expansion or some DLC.

SMAC is my favourite Civ game, so I don't mind if they sit on Beyond for a couple of years :3

That said, I'm hoping for a strong release that doesn't 'need' expansions.

Civ:BE kind of reminds me of Civ4:Colonization, which felt like a filler spin-off. Wasn't terrible, but not outstanding, either.

We'll see. :) I'll buy it in any event.

Top Bottom