Biggest Nightmare

mclericp

Warlord
I am Morroco aiming for cultural victory on king.
Spawned next to Shaka in the southwest, Atilla in the north and Isabella in the east......

Several turns later a bunch of impis showed up at my doorstep and then Atilla came down with his horsemen.

:(

I am Morroco aiming for cultural victory on king.
Spawned next to Shaka in the southwest, Atilla in the north and Isabella in the east......

Several turns later a bunch of impis showed up at my doorstep and then Atilla came down with his horsemen.

:(
Reload Autosave. beeline "Construction" then build at least 4 CompBow. Build/buy walls on your cities which you think would be the target of the siege, then if ever the siege happen kill first the Siege Units (catapult, battering ram) then the Melee Units. Don't waste attacks on archers or CompBows unless they're the only one left.

Atillia is always my *BEST* friend when I play. Of course to him that means he helps me level up my troops by attacking every century or so. He is always friendly to me though, until I take his capital.

You have to learn how to build an use archers/bowmen, especially when you are squeezed between several Civilizations. If you want practice, try turning on raging barbarians for a few games to get the hang of defending yourself.

Starting next to a Shaka who only has one way to expand (through you) is definitely worst case scenario IMO. He's certain to attack eventually, and if he gets Impis it's hell to defend against. But preemptively killing him ruins the relationships with everyone else.

i refuse to quit so yea i did reload an autosave and focus full on military(no cultural for this time) until this threat is being repelled.

I did build 4 composite bowmen, 2 walls for my 2 cities and several swordsmen(i got 6 iron, no horse though).

Should mention i always start in the classical era.

Anyway i did repel shaka's first swarm of impis and whatever catapults he brought, but that left my army totally wrecked. I have to say i m not used to going full military as i didnt get any wars usually until the industrial era.

Was gonna capture some screenies but fraps and ingame capture screenshot(print screen) doesnt seem to work, strange.

Was gonna capture some screenies but fraps and ingame capture screenshot(print screen) doesnt seem to work, strange.
press print screen, then go to screensshots folder on "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots" then convert those .TGA filles to PNG or JPEG those are your Print Screen Scrennshoots.

i refuse to quit so yea i did reload an autosave and focus full on military(no cultural for this time) until this threat is being repelled.

I did build 4 composite bowmen, 2 walls for my 2 cities and several swordsmen(i got 6 iron, no horse though).

Should mention i always start in the classical era.

Anyway i did repel shaka's first swarm of impis and whatever catapults he brought, but that left my army totally wrecked. I have to say i m not used to going full military as i didnt get any wars usually until the industrial era.

You can always fortify your melee units in front of your cities or vital terrain points (like mountain narrow passages) while your cities and archers pick apart catapults and impis. ;)

Fortified unit can take 40% more damage, so for example, Pikeman on open terrain, with shock 1 promotion and fully fortified can take a load of damage. If he's also fortified on citadel or fort, it can withstand several turns before it finally goes down. ;)

He can't attack tho, but that Pike would turn into mountain. :D

have to differ a bit with some posts here.

You should absolutely NOT focus on military unless you plan to destroy Shaka very early.

Here is why;
Attila is a total pansy, he will just send a bunch of rams over. Rams can not attack units, just plant spearmen in their way and pick him off with archers. Assuming you settled defensive positions (river hills), Attila is about the easiest civ with an early unit to beat, so just basically ignore him and kill his units when/if he DoW's.

Shaka is a whole different animal. CB's are useless against Impi, so making a bee line to construction does absolutely nothing for you, and will in fact make things much worse. Bee line to education, then back track down to machinery, grab construction on the way only if he DoW's early - his spearman rush is easy to beat.
The reason you want to head to education first is because you also get civil service on the way. Swords are absolutely useless, so you need pikes for blockade duty, and x-bows to kill his Impi. Shaka will tech slowly on all difficulties, so you have plenty of time even on Deity to take machinery after education, and on King you should have absolutely no problem out teching him. 2 to 4 pikes depending on terrain is needed to protect your range units, and 3 to 5 x-bows to pick everything off. If you try to just run military techs, he will gain tech parity then advantage, and you are giving him more time to build a bigger army.
Alternately, get the NC up, tech phylo, build 4 archers and upgrade to CB's, and go take his capitol. Shaka always neglect his own defenses early, and is one of the easiest civs to take down in a CB rush.

press print screen, then go to screensshots folder on "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots" then convert those .TGA filles to PNG or JPEG those are your Print Screen Scrennshoots.

This is good stuff. I've been wanting to put up screenies myself. I had downloaded easy slides and wondered why that still didn't work.

Pay one of them to attack the other. It'll mean you're slower to buy the next settler, but you'll have killed 2 birds with one stone.

You're happilly growing tall with your peaceful cultural empire when Pocatello decides to expand in the tiny space between your cap and your only other city.

On Deity.

This is my definition of nightmare.

Top Bottom