BirdNES 2: Forge of Empires -- The Manonash

Culture map posted above.

Leadership among the nations posted in #545 at the end of the update.

Or the worst, depending on your view ;).

Since we're both in an odd habit of ignoring the update, how does a peace treaty strike you Lightfang?

We've already decimated your navy; perhaps just a small reparation to cover our losses shall suffice. Ilosilletar was kind to Rynt before, and we do not forget. We will be reasonable.

Could really have done with a response to my PM'd diplomacy. I'll assume no-one is taking me up on my offer. Order being written now.

For the record LightFang, I'm going with peace and I will offer tribute of equating to .5. Soon for the late response.

Orders sent, honor to the Crusaders!

The Manonash​
Update Eight: The Great Northern War​

Prelude to War
At the command of I’danio Swiftalan Lord of the Tekashen, General Kalan’ash Tekali stood atop the wall that over looked the harbor of Teka. Fifty warships, battle ready, were anchored below and their crews strained to hear his words that were aimed at the captains gathered on the quay below the general.

“Today, we depart to humble, nay destroy, the Ilosilletar. Their cities shall be ours, their women shall be yours, and our victory cries will echo in the valleys and among the forests of their lands and the riches of their lord’s manors shall fill our coffers. Your warships will sweep away their pathetic navy and make way for the invasion to follow. The full might of the Tekashen will strike and crush the helpless Ilosilletar. Glory shall be your name and victory your badge! Anchors aweigh!” And so the Tekashen went to war.

The great harbor of Ryntgrad was a busy place. Once the supplicant ambassadors from Ilosilletar had been turned away without audience, preparations for war were renewed at a faster pace. The fleet was almost doubled in size and as Admiral Kobruk Vuryta watched it assemble, he was justly proud. Like an expectant father, to whom the gods had proclaimed his success in this venture, he anticipated “great good fortune”. He would win control over the seas and once that was achieved, perhaps the army would extend the victory to the islands. Even as he prepared to sail north, he imagined that the Teka were also departing safe harbors for the uncertainty of battle.

When news of the sailing of the great Teka fleet reached Cantoria, the king fanned the flames of Yiithic passion and prepared to join the fight. The opportunity to extend his domain at the expense of Ilosilletar was too good to pass up. His forces might be late to the party, but he didn’t really care; he was out for the easy pickings with minimal risk. A crusade against the unbelieving islanders would feed the passion of his army and easily carry them on to victory. God’s will be done.

Guide Celuminiur had hoped that peace would come to the islands of Ilosilletar, but he was a realist and planned for war. Not only had he continued the improvements started by Guide Raminiur, he went steps further. Both on land and sea he worked diligently to bring the quality of his forces up to or even better than his neighbors. By the time his ambassadors returned with word of their rebuff and the likely continued war, the first of his Imbarucsa warships were afloat and training. More were being built. On land the army was preparing; even the people had been recruited to enhance the defenses of the islands with brick walled fortifications at important locations. He wasn’t sure if the first attack would come from the east or the west, but his agents would alert him as soon as the war fleets of Rynt or Teka headed out to sea. He would be ready.

Belo Lutiur had sailed his five trading ships south to the volcanic isles of Cantoria to avoid the coming war. Business would be a mess and profits would be slim as long as the war closed off ports and markets. Belo was prepared though. He had hired on extra crew and equipped them with weapons. The chaos of war would afford him an alternative avenue for providing for himself, his family and those of his men. What trade there was would be vulnerable and an easy capture. Arrrgh!

The war in the north was not the sole accomplishment of the peoples of the northern Manonash. Peaceful endeavors were undertaken by many. East of the mountains, the Nylarlak turned the years of uneasy truce with Cantoria into a decade of growing trade. This shift coincided with the internal changes that moved the nation from an aggressive expansionist to one more mercantile oriented. New roads and infrastructure to support the movement of goods were built in an effort to knit the widely spread peoples into a more unified whole. The astute visitors to the larger cities would have noticed that two men vied for power: Hetkruullar Pigsticker the lord of the land and one Kuokret who headed the council. The exploration didn’t stop, but the pressure to move west subsided. The lake region was rich in furs and timber that were in demand in much of the southern Manonash. But Nylarlak merchants could only go through the traders of Cantoria to sell their goods and with the past in mind, the Cantorians tightly controlled the flow of goods and kept the profits for themselves. Efforts to sell through the Kiidorians met with similar problems since they had the very same goods to sell themselves. Fine horses were always in demand though. Expeditions to the east sought to unroll the map of the world, but of what they learned nothing leaked into the west.

The war provided Kiidor a fresh market for timber and metal goods, but aside from that business the nation was mostly quiet. King Crythias eased his way from the hard despotism of his predecessors and established himself as a more enlightened monarch emphasizing education and internal improvements. Currency of various sorts began to circulate and important laws were codified and preserved in writing. In Cantoria the war was an opportunity to establish themselves on a few islands at the edge of the western ocean and secondary to a great temple on what was to become the Island of the Fire Oracle among the volcanic islands of the central Reach. The project was partially funded by the Oracle of Wendar and constructed under the leadership of a Cantorian priest by the name of Michawen who had been initiated into the mysteries of divination at the holy Oracle itself. By 450 the grand complex was finally taking shape and beginning to attract visitors from all around the north. In 444 Luten Drumn, one of Luggon Drumn’s seafaring sons left the north with explicit instructions “to sail south as far as humanly sensible”. He must have sailed a bit further, because he was never heard from again. In spite of the war and upturn in piracy, the wily Cantorian traders were able to take advantage of the surplus of Nylarlak furs and timber and control their distribution to the rest of the Manonash and the ‘buy low, sell high’ opportunity provided a windfall of tax revenue.

+1 EP Cantorian Treasury from Nylarlak trade

Lya Nokazth ruled Razzak from his palace in Nimunak and, with the exception of two expeditions sent to confirm the information from newly acquired maps of the unknown, his focus was on improving governance across his nation. But the rising cost of maintaining the roads and infrastructure strained his treasury. His ministers attributed it to terrible inefficiencies in tax collection and the almost total lack of any government bureaucracy to facilitate such efforts. Less than a third of the expected taxes were actually being collected.

When the war with Ilosilletar ended Captains Naki Krats and Treith Kolus continued to explore the southern waters and word filtered back through traders and whores that Rynt had settled new territories. Exactly where was speculated by many, but little real information made its way east.

In the south Xochicalco underwent significant change. In 441 Emperor Shalmanesser I came to power and within two years had been ousted by a young peasant girl named Ayauhcihuatl. Ayauhcihuatl’s past was steeped in mystery and rumors of powers followed her like those who saw her as a prophetess. Her rise was meteoric and by 443 she had complete control over the government of Xochicalco. Change came quickly. Within five years she had drained the treasury with investments all across the nation including religion, roads, farming, education the army and even expeditions of exploration. But such change does not come free and in doing so she had to purge the established bureaucracy of many of its experienced workers who retained allegiance to the old regime. In fact many of her plans had to be put off simply because there was no more money to spend. In addition, the lack of readily available funds weakened her war effort against the Vissarai and little was shown for that war except further squabbles and mistrust along the borders. Her newly armored horsemen did show themselves to be effective under the right circumstances.

And of Wendar? Its influence grew. The God Wendar spoke the queen of Xochicalco:
“ ‘Do I not know the hearts of all men? Do I not know what is in store in the future? Construct a pillar with these words, ‘The Queen of Xochicalco has sworn before all the gods of the heavens that there will be peace between her and those who follow the god Wendar. And if she does these things, the favor of Wendar shall be upon her. And let the one who breaks this agreement first suffer the punishment of the gods for breaking their oath.’ Send also jewelry and princely raiment, and all manner of fine treasures from my storehouse, as I direct you, let their price add up to [0.5 EP]. And let the Queen of Xochicalco display these things so that all men might know of her oath, and that the favor of Wendar will rest upon her. And also send [0.5 EP] of the purest gold, and let her spend it upon her people, that they might be satisfied and want nothing.’

Are not I, the High Priest, a faithful servant of Wendar? Will I not do what he has commanded me? Therefore let you also do as he directs, and his favor will cover your kingdom as a cloud.”

And to Kiidor of the north:
“ ‘You have come to me with questions, do I not know your plans, and the end of them also? For I have read the Book of Fate, on which is recorded the deeds and thoughts of man, both in the past, and now, and in the future. Therefore, know that the plans of peace in your head, if you do them I will prosper them! And let this be a sign between you and me. I will send to you my image, a statue of gold weighing [19 kilograms]. And along the bottom will be carved this message: ‘I Know.’ Therefore do the plans of peace that are in your mind, for I know the end of them. I will also send you Rakael, who is a senior priest before me and who is skilled in the mystery of divination. Listen to him, for he hears my voice! If you do these things, I will surely bless you, as I am a god.’

Receiving the words of Wendar, I, the High Priest his servant, have rushed to do his bidding. Let you also do as he says, and he will grant to you his blessings, both in this life and the next.”

And to the Cantorians:
The slave of Wendar, who is honored to be known as the High Priest, the sixty-ninth to hold that title since the imprisonment of Wendar, to the King of the North, who rules over all his foot touches:

Your message has greatly pleased us. For what greater virtue can a man have than to exhibit piety towards the gods? Because of this, your act will not go unrewarded. For if a mortal knows to give good gifts, then what of a god? Is a god so poor that he must hold on to what he has like a stingy miser? Certainly not! For if a mortal gives with his right hand, the gods will give with both their right and their left, if a mortal gives honor to the gods, the gods will return it seven fold.

Therefore we have enquired of the god what we should give you and this was his reply:
“Send to the King of the North, my son, one idol of me, made of pure gold, [19 kilograms] in weight so that my presence may always be near to him. Send also ten temple slaves, and five priests chosen from among you, and Michawen, a senior priest who I have granted the mystery of divination. Send also these gifts from the temple storehouse [here is a list of gifts equaling 0.5 EP]. Write also this oracle on the finest parchment with golden ink to present to the Northern King. Let all of this be done just as I say.”

Therefore, as faithful stewards of the god, we have rushed to fulfill the task he has bestowed upon us. If you find anything lacking, send word, and we will fulfill it. If you see something in our nation, and you desire it, ask, and it shall be yours, for are not these but a drop of water to the ocean of wealth a god possesses? And if we see something in your land that we desire, we shall ask for it, for does not man owe everything he has because of the favor of the gods?

The Right Hand of the god Wendar, chosen to be known as the 69th High Priest; to the King of the North.

Hear the words of the god Wendar!
“Am I a peasant that I should dwell in a hovel? Therefore say to the King of the North ‘Build a temple worthy of me and my presence shall dwell there, and never depart.’ And so that the King of the North knows what pleases me, send carpenters and builders and goldsmiths and those who work with fine jewels from my Holy City. Send priests to consecrate the gold and stone and precious things so that they might be pleasing in my sight. Send gold and silver and the things from my storehouse that I shall make known to you so that all men will know that this is my house. Let the price of all these things add up to be [1 EP]. Do not delay, for this is my will!”

Therefore, as obedient slaves to the god, we send these things. Let you also be found to be obedient and his favor will rain upon you so that all the storehouses of your kingdom will not be able to contain them!

And like the sirocco, Wendar stretches forth his hand to warm the chilly climes of the north.

In these times little is known of the events of the Vissarai and Graznel except tales told by travelers. The Vissarai held their own against the invading Xochicalco forces and they pushed further south to find new territories, but rumors of weakened leadership and the deterioration of infrastructure was relayed to traders. Similar tales were reported from Graznel and some wondered if there was a king at all in that land.

The War’s Conclusion
General Kalan’ash Tekali hadn’t been home in three years. Today he was off the island of Carnollo, the last remaining strong hold of Ilosilletar waiting for new ships and more supplies. The war had been tough. As he relaxed on the deck of his galley he reflected on the early days of the conflict and the first great battle between his ships and those of the enemy. ‘Imbarucsa’ had no meaning then. His fleet, in a great wedge formation, had approached the Ilieon galleys as they lay in a sweeping crescent across the harbor of Formopele, their northern city. Even though the fleets appeared about equal in size, his scent of victory had been strong. His wedge would pierce the thin line of Ilieon galleys and then roll up their line in both directions. As he relived the moment, he winced. The shock of the battle was still with him. As his galleys neared engagement and archers readied their arrows, a cry went up from the Ilieon warriors on deck and to the amazement of the Teka they were bombarded by huge stones, stones that crashed through men and wood and splintered the decks and hulls of his ships. The glory of his magnificent wedge was his undoing as the rain of rocks stopped some ships dead in the water and forced others to follow suit or change course. He had learned of the ‘Imbarucsa’ the hard way. These catapult equipped ships had been the bane of his war for three years now. He had adapted and found ways to minimize their effectiveness, but he could not forget the confusion and death they had inflicted on that terrible day. The heavy stones crippled men and ships alike as fear and panic consumed the crews of the ships struck. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide and many men sat at their oars, paralyzed, as they watched their death fall from the sky. As his fleet was immobilized with confusion the Ilieon attacked to finish the job. His lowest moment of the war had been his decision to flee and save what he could of his fleet. At that point he knew the war would not be an easy one.

More galleys had been built, more troops trained and the war continued. He had learned about the ‘Imbarucsa’ and how to minimize their effect. He fought his battles differently now and in the end been the victor. All the islands of the Ilosilletar north of Carnollo itself were held by Teka. He had taken them one by one in bloody fighting and at great cost. Once the Ilieon army was trapped on an island they fought tenaciously from strong forts that were well stocked, and they fought to the death. Even the peasants fought to preserve their hovels and meager fields. Ten thousand men had become twenty thousand as new troops replaced the dead and wounded; his fifty ships had been replaced by hundred as the Ilieon replaced theirs and he had to keep up or be defeated at sea. He needed the truce. His troops were weary and the early promise of glory and easy victory long gone from their minds. An attack on the heart of Ilosilletar was not looked forward to. Promises of loot and women were dismissed by all but the newest and least experienced. For the most part he dominated the waters of old Ilosilletar, but as the war had progressed, piracy had grown and even his supply ships were attacked unless well defended. All over the Reach, trade had diminished as pirates become bolder and stronger.

About the same time that the Teka were contemplating extending the lull in the war, Admiral Kobruk Vuryta and General Rymok Styp were holding council on Renoll, the metal isle, and home to Ilosilletar’s tin mine complex. Rynt had done well in this war and the conquest of Renollo was the crowning achievement. It had come at a price though. Mostly, Rynt had controlled the waters around the southern Ilieonic isles, but periodic forays by the enemy fleets had inflicted serious losses upon the Ryntan navy. In the few larger scale pitched battles, the ‘Imbarucsa’ had proven themselves to be an effective weapon against any massing of ships either at sea or in port. But with the Ilieon loss of its heavily forested northern islands, new ships were becoming scarce. And it was the land war where Rynt had focused. In the battle for Renollo the Ilieon had released yet another new weapon: powerful new bows with a longer range than previously used and they had more penetrating power too. They were particularly effective at bringing down horsemen. The battle for Renollo had been long and slow. Well designed defenses and walls made progress costly and the original plan of using 8,000 men and 1,800 horsemen was exceeded long ago. And the hard part was still ahead of them. Carnollo Island was prepared. The cities of Rihare and Renelan were well stocked and had plenty of soldiers. As long as the island was in their hands, crops would be grown and the granaries kept full. Peace now would reduce the Ilosilletar to insignificance and allow the council time to rebuild a drained treasury and incorporate the new lands into Rynt proper. It would also prevent a reversal of fortune should they lose beneath the walls of Rihare.

News of the winding down of the war in the islands was seen as good news among the Cantorians. Piracy was a growing problem and until the war galleys were turned towards that problem, all the nations of the Reach would suffer. Cantoria’s effort in this war had been less than her allies, but even if it’s only prize was a small group of islands on the outer fringes of the world, that would suffice for now.

The war had been a terrible blow to Ilosilletar. All but the home island of Carnollo had been lost to Rynt or Tekashen. While the army was strong and well equipped, the navy had over the three years been as devastating loss. And as the great forests of the northern rainforests fell island by island to the Teka, shipbuilding was more and more difficult. Time and money would replace the galleys of her enemies, but the Ilieon did not have such a luxury. With peace her traders and trade would return, but many of the sources of her previous wealth were now gone. Guide Celuminiur had taken ill and died in 444 and his son Raviniur had succeeded to the leadership of the nation. While he was only 14, he had been shaped by the war and involved in everything his father had done to keep Ilosilletar together and alive as a nation. He knew that if the enemies invaded Carnollo, it would be a terrible and dangerous battle, but he also knew what preparations had been made that would, perhaps, make such a battle too costly for the armies of Rynt and Teka. He would seek peace.

Outcomes:
War costs to replace, repair and refit:
-3 EP from Teka treasury
-3 EP from Rynt treasury
-3 EP from Ilosilletar treasury
Ilosilletar: reduction of agricultural lands, infrastructure, production facilities and roads
Ilosilletar: increased cost of ship production
Teka: reduced cost of ship production
Rynt: reduced cost of ship production

NPC nations this turn:
Vissarai
Gaznel

Manonash update 8 map:

Attachments

• Manonash Update 8 posted map.png
    Manonash Update 8 posted map.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 150
Shalmansser I was presiding over a group of courthouses and systems that were becoming wracked with massive amounts of corruption. He bribed both the judges and the clergy to do and make acts that were against the Observationist law and the general law in general. He was seen as corrupt by the masses but his elite guard silenced them.

He once again admitted only very late and then he once again made changes to artificial and slowly for the people to take. When a group of disenfranchised people made up the poor and rich alike felt they did not get the treatment they needed they created an underground court system where they debated over the latest issues.

Through this, the humble but extremely charismatic Ayauhcihuatl came out into the public and spoke of the crimes and atrocities that were being done to the people. People claimed that she was the true descendent of the original founders and thus should be in charge. When she was finally heard of by the King he was infuriated and required that his guards go put these people under arrest and to stage a trial to legitimatize the people.

Before their day of arrest, a small squadron of people from all walks alike came up to the base of the palace and etched right into the wall the proclamation of grievances. Ayauhcihuatl spoke

“Listen people, do you hear that? The cries of the children the weeping and the deaths of our comrades? The wretched lies, boasts, idiocy and hypocrisy of our monarchy? Do see the pain of families who starve, the parents whose children die in battle and the wealth that the king flaunts at the faces that have none? Do you see the abuse and rape of the Observationist belief for the gain of the king? Do you see all of this?”

“We shall take it now longer and thus proclaim that, we are to gain all of the rights that we have had lost! We are to restore what the great unknown sent us to do long ago! We are to tear down the walls of oppression and economic equality! We are to build a highly educated civilian group! We are to suppose to be seen as both equals and individuals! We are to have fair trials where we can have our issues be brought up without being hurt and get a chance for compensation! Finally, we shall spread this word to those who seek it! We believe that all people deserve these rights, which has been deprived by you the king. Say no longer to this imposter and thus rip off his crown and give it to its rightful owner!”

When this had happened, the king promptly sent Ayauhcihuatl to the pyre, which was located in the pit, and the king spoke

“It’s important to know that there are people out there. These people will feel the need to get attention. They will even spread the most false of lies to get there point across. Although such people can be entertaining at first they will then just turn into a pest and even a downright threat. With this, I command that all cleanse their ears of any words said to them by this floozy. She shall be put onto the fires once forth.”

Several people had protested but then quickly were killed by the guards. However, one of her most loyal but shy of supporters came rushing out and then pounced upon the king, in which he trusted both he and himself into the flames. The last words of the king were

“Damn you people, you allowed having a lame and worthless peasant to take control of the empire. I will never forgive you of that.”

Once this had happened, Ayauhcihuatl addressed the crowd and said

"You people who may have loyalties to the king may kill me for this. However, really is there really anything to gain from doing so? For I feel that in the end, despite the king’s actions being brutal and unforgiving I feel that he was not a bad person. He had been corrupted by the sinews of power that is too frequently given to the rulers of this world. As such, I would like to not become your queen but due to the will of the people, I shall. But it’s important to remember that even though I may be the empress of the nation, there will always be someone above all of us humble humans. That in which would be the great unknown.”

With this, the people cheered and threw roses, flowers and gold trinkets all over the empress. On that next day, she made the court system that had for so long been prosecuted to be the official. She inurn started a cultural, scientific and religious revolution and created on of the greatest periods ever in the history of Xochicalco.

Note: The pictures at the bottom. The first is Ayauhcihuatl and the second is
Enkichaltl.

Well, SS you are way late for additions/changes to your orders or any additional material for this update. See above ^^^ :)

Stats up too!

Nice update!

I just wanted to make a small nitpicky detail: Treith Kolus isn't the name of a captain; it's the name of an area of land.

I was a bit shocked when I read "After the end of the war..." and I scrolled back up to see if, somehow, I had skipped paragraphs worth of information about the war. Then I found out you snuck that information in at the end, you tricksy birdy. :p

Nice update!

I just wanted to make a small nitpicky detail: Treith Kolus isn't the name of a captain; it's the name of an area of land.

I was a bit shocked when I read "After the end of the war..." and I scrolled back up to see if, somehow, I had skipped paragraphs worth of information about the war. Then I found out you snuck that information in at the end, you tricksy birdy. :p
Sorry about the error.

So I see. I offer peace and this is the result? I can honestly promise that I will send war orders for this turn. Enjoy your bed.

Bird, any occur with my land UU?

Why did these infrastructure costs so suddenly start to take effect, making my national upkeep shoot from 0 to 2?

So I see. I offer peace and this is the result? I can honestly promise that I will send war orders for this turn. Enjoy your bed.

Bird, any occur with my land UU?
Only one UU at a time, and the ships seemed more important, but I did not ignore your effort and as you probably read.

Top Bottom