Black Friday Sales?

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ V Fans:

Please post any information / links to any sales regarding Civ V for this Friday..."Black Friday". I wanted to get BNW from GMG but that did not work out.

Thanks

Brew God

Steam always has sales going on between Black Friday & Cyber Monday. Normally there is a medium discount for everything from 2K (and other publishers); but the steam sells to look for are the daily sales and 8 hour flash sales, which are deeper.

CivV will probably be 75% deep this upcoming sale across the board except for Scramble.

I thought Thanksgiving (aka indian holocaust day) was last week... Gotta prepare my wallet.

Thanks for the heads UP.

I was going to keep a tight eye on Steam and see if a Flash sale popped up. That is how I got the Gold Edition with all the trimmings along with it. I had Civ V Vanilla as it's reported here on the site. Standard edition with updates. Gods and Kings is a real treat and was not thinking about BNW until next Summer Sale but if it hits a flash sale then great.

Thanks to all.

Brew God

I thought Thanksgiving (aka indian holocaust day) was last week... Gotta prepare my wallet.

I don't think the point of the holiday is celebrating conquering the american Indian, but remembering the few peaceful times back then and giving thanks for the good things in your life. Cheers! :goodjob:

Brave New World currently $15 right now on Steam, along with all the DLC and CivV.

Don't get it. It'll go deeper before the third.

I don't think the point of the holiday is celebrating conquering the american Indian, but remembering the few peaceful times back then and giving thanks for the good things in your life. Cheers! :goodjob:

It's specifically a national holiday for being thankful more soldiers didn't die in the Civil War.

It's specifically a national holiday for being thankful more soldiers didn't die in the Civil War.

That's when it got nationalized; the original origins was the Pilgrims being thankful they were still alive for their first harvest. (About half of them died that first year)

Is BNW good? How much does it improve the game from G&K?

It adds more Civs and that's about all you'll notice. The other stuff is just fluff, similiar to G&K..the core game hasn't change enough to spend more money on. The AI still can't do jack in combat other than build units faster than the player. I don't own it but if it drops down to under $10 it might be worth it just to get the additional civs. You still have to play it on steam though...bleh

^ Really? I find trade routes to be the most dramatic change in the game so far. Far more than any individual change in G&K. The entire early economy is different and money is more scarce. That's not a small thing. Since you said you don't own it, I can understand missing that, but to suggest it's fluff would seem odd to anyone who has actually played it.

That's when it got nationalized; the original origins was the Pilgrims being thankful they were still alive for their first harvest. (About half of them died that first year)

Well, yes and no. Thanksgivings have been something that was done by Europeans for centuries. We trace our celebration to that date in a sort of Disney-fied idealized way. Pilgrims had a Thanksgiving because they were happy to still be alive, but they weren't establishing a specific holiday so much as just doing something because they were thankful. In fact, there's a good argument that it was a harvest feast, not a Thanksgiving, which was usually a somber day of prayer.

Anyway, to be more on topic: I just found out you can put something on a wishlist to get an email alert when there's a sale. I don't think there's going to be a Steam sale for the Scrambled Nations pack, which, iirc, is the only one I still need.

Really? I find trade routes to be the most dramatic change in the game so far. Far more than any individual change in G&K. The entire early economy is different and money is more scarce. That's not a small thing. Since you said you don't own it, I can understand missing that, but to suggest it's fluff would seem odd to anyone who has actually played it.

I agree, BNW is a whole lot different than G&K, due to the things you mention. I too enjoy the trade routes aspect of the newer xpac. BNW adds some interesting things to the game, but it also takes some away. If you prefer more peaceful games with more emphasis on trading and a fairly predictable means of avoiding conflict, BNW is a good fit. If you liked having to always be on your toes and expect to be attacked at the drop of a hat in most games, then G&K is your cup of tea. I'm hoping they may tweak BNW a little more towards the earlier style in future patches, but we'll see. For now, to get a decent chance of being attacked in most BNW games, you have to either ignore your own defense almost entirely, or play Immortal or higher. G&K encourages and rewards warmongering, both yours and the AI's... BNW punishes it and makes it a lot more difficult- also for both. Personally, I'd like to see these two opposing styles blend together a tad more, still.

There will presumably be Christmas/New Year's Sales coming up soon too - the Scrambled Nations pack might be on sale by then, especially if the mysterious "Bison" DLC is released before then (they seem to usually lower the sale price of the previous DLC when a new one comes out).

What even is thanksgiving?

One day out of the year when we Americans are grateful for everything we have, and then laugh as we buy more things the next day because we can.

America#1

Is BNW good? How much does it improve the game from G&K?

Yes it is. G&K is just a war fest which the AI has major advantages. In BNW the AI is more likely to be friendly early on as trade is more important. Coupled with the new culture system you'll find yourself winning more. I suggest you get it.

What is this Black Friday thing about? It`s everywhere!

Is this some special business idea cooked up to sell more things?

Top Bottom