BNW is the final expansion

Kennan

Chieftain
It all points that in one way:

"According to producer Dennis Shirk, the Brave New World team has worked to bring the sense of wonder to the late game in what is likely the title’s final expansion."
Source:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...on-will-be-quintessential-civ-experience.aspx

"Brave New World is the second major expansion for Civilization 5 and Firaxis intends for it to be the last"
Source:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/12/civi...orld-explored/

Seems like this is it. I'm hoping for a grand final!
I honestly thought G&K was the final and was quite satisfied with that.

...But maybe we get CiV on the iPad next year? The new Pitboss muiltiplayer features would be fantastic on iOS:
"XCOM: Enemy Unknown lead designer Jake Solomon has confirmed that his studio is definitely thinking about an iOS version of Civilization V"
Source:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sid+Meier%27s+Civilization+V/news.asp?c=49984

One of the things I read indicated that they hadn't planned to do one after G&K until G&K did so well. So even if they aren't planning one past BNW, if it does well, they could be persuaded to keep going. And the graphics engine isn't even close to being obsolete yet. They don't really need to get Civ VI out the door.

They work under the assumption of finishing the game with this expansion. There could still be a chance to further expand the game if they find extra reasons for it.
Wouldn't count on it though, unless we manage to give them plenty of reasons for another expansion =)

Not too many games go past two expansions so in that sense I wouldn't be surprised. Doesn't mean there won't be additional DLC's--scenarios and such.

One of the things I read indicated that they hadn't planned to do one after G&K until G&K did so well. So even if they aren't planning one past BNW, if it does well, they could be persuaded to keep going. And the graphics engine isn't even close to being obsolete yet. They don't really need to get Civ VI out the door.
I agree.

Besides from the interviews, what you can hear from the actual Firaxis suggests that they are not planning on making BNW the very last addition to the game.

Either I dreamt this or Dennis Shirt in one of the interviews said something along the lines of "we don't know what future will being, we did not make any plans yet."

Wouldn't count on it though, unless we manage to give them plenty of reasons for another expansion =)
Colonization! My wallet is open any time! I am pretty sure that I am not he only one. What other reason would you want?

... More seriously though, even if they worked it as a last expansion, they could suddenly be motivated for a third one hehe...

This all comes down to us, the fans, I think. If BNW sells and is received as well as G&K then we might have a shot at future content. I don't think Civ needs a graphical update right now, so they don't need VI for graphics. I think there is so much more they could do and if they have good reason (sales and desire from fans) then they have plenty of reason to do so.

My impression of those statements was that they were entirely guesswork based on what has happened before in civ and fan site expectations. I place literally no value on these statements.

Besides, I'm ok with it either way, since once they finish with 5 it's straight onto 6. Win win situation!

In the Game Reactor interview, Dennis was careful not to rule out another expansion. But his comments did give the impression that one isn't planned.

Q: When you were considering what features to include in this DLC was it decided from the offset, when you were mapping the route for the game, to introduce these different aspects slowly over time, or are you reacting to the way people have engaged with the game so far, and the feedback you've received from the community?

A: I think it's more along the lines of a combination of feedback, and stuff the designer really wanted to put in the game later. It's extremely rare, and it certainly didn't happen with Civ V, that we know that the expansions are going to have religion and this, this, and this. It's more along the lines that we released Civ V, the designer's put out some DLC packs (Polynesia, Spain and the Inca). Then he starts to get a feel, he sees what's happening in the community, how they're playing the game, stuff that he's experiencing when he's playing the game, saying: "You know what would really work here... Let's put in religion and do it this way, let's put in espionage."

A: Brave New World came about the same way. We really weren't expecting necessarily to do a second expansion, but then Gods & Kings really fleshed out that early game well, the fan reaction to it was great. Universally we thought that the end game now paled a little bit because of everything we had done in the first half of the game. So we used that opportunity to do something cool with Brave New World and all these new systems. It's always been a problem with Civilization - that late game - and we're really trying to tackle that for the first time.

Q: So, I pretty much know what you're going to say, but beyond this are there any more refinements planned? Or are you going to start working on six?

A: No comment.

A: There's never technically an end of stuff that you can do when you've got the whole of human civilisation to deal with, but there is always a line where you can say that this is full, that this is the game that we've made. If you try to jam anything else in here you're going to go over the cliff, so to speak. We want to be there with Brave New World, but until we get it into the hands of the millions of players who are playing Civ, and we start getting that feedback... you never know.

I think Civ5 is only now starting to run well on low and mid-range laptops with integrated graphics right? Civ was never about cutting edge graphics so I hope they take their time before VI. I don't know if they'll make another expansion or more DLC though.

I'd only want to see CivVI start next if they were going to take the time to make a more flexible graphical and gameplay engine. Something that could do whatever you wanted (within reason) without running into limitations embedded deep in the code. Think the Source of the turn-based 4X world or something. That would be ace. Then they could make lots of games with it.

We don't need a more powerful or pretty graphics engine, but I suspect we could do with a better-engineered one.

I would be shocked to see a third expansion. You can't just keep adding more and more things to the game without taking away from the fun of the core game itself. More isn't always better.

Civ 5 is one of the best games I've ever played and I'm sure BNW will make it far better. so, thank you Firaxis for this fantastic game.

... More seriously though, even if they worked it as a last expansion, they could suddenly be motivated for a third one hehe...

Never thought i could be in love with a button........

Top Bottom