Bogged up in clicks?

Carl v.

Chieftain
It is difficult to play CIVIV as a strategy game when administration on lover levels takes all attention. To lift gameplay to the strategy level, the gamer can increase the size of everything by playing 10 AI civs on a tiny map (Number and size just as an example).

This is definitely not the way to play for gamers who like to have lots of everything.

How does it work? First, it might be possible to build three cities before the whole map is crowded. But still the country is complete, with all possibilities. And the AI-nations start with the same limitations as the gamer.

To serve the cities, I needed one worker.

I first got Hinduism, researched basic technologies (in this game I needed to build roads, and had cows and furs as initial resources), and then directed my research towards writing to get open borders. At that time, highly spirited Asoka had infested the Romans and the Greeks with Buddhism, the Mongols were Jews and Mansa Musa Cristian. Only Napoleon was still a pagan, and I let him see the light.

In this small map-configuration the gamer meets the other nations quite early in the game. Therefore I got alphabet and traded techs. By knowing so many other leaders (and being the first to get alphabet), it was a great harvest.

But by knowing so many other leaders, it is also a great risk; they start to demand resources (including techs and money). I was still too weak, so I mostly gave them what whey wanted. And if I did not, I gave them gold to keep the good mood.

Napoleon and I got a great relationship; we sheared religion, I gave him a tech now and then and traded resources primarily with him. And when he called for help against the Mongols, I send an expeditionary force.

After crushing the Mongol improvements, this corps became the nucleus of a strong force, build up to invade the Romans. Napoleon got rich gifts, and I bribed Asola to be my even better friend. With no fear of an immediate invasion, I took the Roman Empire.

It was two cities, and few units were needed compared to big map warfare.

Now it was time to build infrastructure, so I spread my war-experienced army as garrison troops in my cities. Suddenly Isabella, as usual, got pissed, and invaded in an amphibious operation. The units destroyed a few improvements before I could take them out. Then I called for my friend Napoleon, who invaded Spain and took the capital.

Mansa Musa was my closest opponent. I bribed Alexander to attack, and so did the Zulus after appropriate gifts.

After Mansa Musa was gone, the situation was: Isabella had lost her capital, the Greek and Zulu nations were exhausted (and probably insolvent), and Napoleon had a big empire, a strong but old-fashioned army, and got half of his techs from me.

Asola had cultivated his peaceful corner with a lot of culture, and his borders were expanding. I had given him no reason to arm; trading with him, giving him gifts and so on. It was time to capture the Indian empire. Besides; my diamond mine was now inside his borders.

After that, I barely bothered to build a few tanks and bombers when that became possible. I headed for space victory. No other nations were any military treat.

The main reasons for the latter, was my diplomacy (or intrigues). I had fought three wars, at times when I was prepared. But that was peanuts compared to the damage the other nations in my vicinity had done to each other.

The main reason for testing such a small map-configuration was to find out if it is possible to play CIVIV with fewer clicks. I mean; with all the possibilities and challenges of a big map.

I think it is. To me, it meant I could focus on diplomacy, trade and other strategical matters. Modern age was also interesting; I was not bogged up in an orgy of clicks and mouse movements.

This configuration has also other impacts. First; the desperate need of money that follows the initial expansion in default-configuration, did not occur. Second; wonders work different. Compared to default-configuration, the percentage of the production capacity of the whole nation allocated to build a wonder, is enormous. The best impact comes from wonders benefiting only one city (National Epic, Hermitage and so on).

But it is hardly any barbarians.

I usually play this way--tiny or small map with 10-12 AIs. I usually turn space race off, though, as I don't like that as a victory option (even though I'm usually ahead in tech). Just personal preference. I'm usually playing on Noble or Prince. I've played on most of the map styles, and I like pangea, fractal, continents and lakes the best. Back on 1.61 I played as Catherine a lot (very good traits for my style of play), and on Warlords I'm usually playing as Ram II.

An important key when playing with this many opponents on a crowded map is a successful early war. I usually don't get more than two or three cities settled, but if I can grab one or two from a neighbor I'm well on my way. Size matters!

As far as techs go, I usually research BW as early as possible to get axemen & spearmen and then beeline to alphabet to allow tech trading. You can get all the other early techs through trades. This also develops friendships with other AIs. The next target is Construction for the catapults.

I follow strict trading rules with AIs I want to be "friends" with and those I want to be enemies with. It takes some experience, but after a while you get an idea of who you can work with and who you should exterminate quickly. Only trade with your "friends"!!!!! Have open borders with your friends and not with your enemies. Sometimes a "friend" will attack you, in which case you simply shake your head, consider him an enemy and eliminate him.

Defining "friends" and "enemies" along religious lines can be very powerful, but it's difficult to do. I've had great success and substantial failure when I've tried it this way. A good way to build an alliance of friends is to pick a "best friend" and then look to see who they like and don't like...and be a copycat! I find that Hat/Egypt makes a very good best friend. Elizabeth isn't bad, and neither is Cyrus. HC and Mali can run hot and cold. Monty and Isabella should never be considered best friends.

If friends are chosen correctly it serves to break the board into two camps--those with you and those against you. Research HR and Feudalism and then concentrate on the military techs. You can trade for the rest and military techs make great bribes to get your "friends" to war with your "enemies"--this keeps both of them occupied while you grow.

I find there's no shame in picking-off a weak AI. Just don't let a strong AI get too strong, unless they're a friend. In that case, eliminate all the "enemy" AIs first and then go for the biggest friend. By then you won't need many alliances, and you may even get some help from your friends that your strongest opponent (and ex-friend) may have annoyed.

As far as wonders go, I never get any of the early wonders. I don't even try until I eliminate my first opponent and have about 5-6 cities. After that, being the biggest civ gives you ample opportunity to go for wonders and great people. I often win the game by the time tanks appear through a domination victory.

It should be said that your starting position and first war are extremely important on a crowded map. If you see yourself starting in a desert regenerate the map. If you fail to take a city in your first war your chances for success are marginal--you've only served to weaken both yourself and the other AI. Both of you will likely be eliminated soon.

What I like about these small, crowded maps are the challenges in diplomacy and the relative lack of down-time. It's a lot of action with small numbers of units and small numbers of cities. Stakes are high--you can't afford to take too many unsuccessful risks. A full game can be played in just a few hours.

I don't claim that this is an optimal strategy, but it's one that has worked for me. These strategy articles really helped me learn how to be a decent player. Hopefully some of you find this useful.

I play similar games. They're up close and fun. One way to make these tight games even more exciting is by making all land maps that wrap around both axis. That way, everyone's borders are tight all the time and you have no way to get your back up against a wall for protection. You can set this up using the fantasyland map preset, or by heading over to the Map Scripts forum and downloading SmartMap.

Top Bottom