• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Booga games diar..rhea

Unrelated,

Mapinder,
Grant me the serenity to recognize the maps I cannot do a record (and thus quit early)
courage to challenge the maps I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

:)

Mapinder,
Grant me the serenity to recognize the maps I cannot do a record (and thus quit early)
courage to challenge the maps I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Brilliant!!

Oh, and a question to readers...
I noticed that I get different Random Events now. Why?? Is the industrial trait important for that??

I always play with random events, but I've waited ages for a random GA on Terra with Pacal.
Nothing (other events I did randomly get, like +4 on coal plants).
Now on highlands with Huayna Chapec, I get a lot more of the Great library quest and the +2 health "experiment" test. I played months without getting them AT ALL and now they spam my games (and I've only started getting into maps a few days ago).
What gives? :?
I've noticed that too. It may be that the conditions for some events do not exist on all map types. Additionally, restrictions on the time when certain events occur also affects things. In other words, the pool of events for, say, ancient era gets reduced sufficiently that certain events are almost forced.

All that is needed for GA events is a period of time between sciences.
I know that period and extend it (early gunpowder, for example), so that's not the issue.
Even if the pool of quests is smaller and events are almost forced, that does not explain why I do not get other events at all even when the pool is large. :|
That just bugs me.

CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml contains a tag that defines in what per-cent of games an event will spawn.

f.e. for the common event Motherlode!!!
Code:
<Type>EVENTTRIGGER_MOTHER_LODE</Type>
[...]
           <iPercentGamesActive>90</iPercentGamesActive>
           <iWeight>200</iWeight>
90% of games will contain this event, 10% will not. The higher the weight the more likely the event to fire, I believe.

f.e. also Breakthrough
Code:
<Type>EVENTTRIGGER_BREAKTHROUGH</Type>
[...]
           <iPercentGamesActive>80</iPercentGamesActive>
           <iWeight>50</iWeight>
I get this one about twice a game. But it will only show up in 4 out of 5 games.

Guns and Butter (which has a golden age option) only shows up in 30% of games. Marathon shows up in every game, but has a weighting of 800 (meaning it is less likely to fire). Sports League only shows up in 25% of games, with a 500 weight.

I have done a lot of games, and it still may be that I was just very unlucky with Pacal, but I suspect foul coding ;)

And I do have an excel file for random events I took from another thread... with some reordering and additional remarks :) (file attached for sharing with the community sake)

Attachments

• rand_events.xls
    134.5 KB · Views: 83
Yes, some events exist in the code but the triggers are either absent or impossible to fulfill.

Idle thinking ... The +2 health event shows up in the city screen as +2 from civilization. Starting a new game as Pacal shows +2 health from civilization in the city screen. Could there be a limit to this and hence Pacal won't get the event as a result?

I'm also seeing an increase in the Great Library event. Only major change is specifying a different set of opponents. And I've just seen Sports League now in 2 straight games. To be fair I've only recently started using events so there may be some luck involved.

Could there be a limit to this and hence Pacal won't get the event as a result?
Nope, you're overthinking it!

Event157
Healing Plant
Prereq:
Obsolete: FEUDALISM or MACHINERY or PHILOSOPHY
Active/Weight: 70/100
Result:
1.+1 happy face for 10 turns
2.+1 angry face (like whipped) in all cities, 20% chance of 4 and 35% chance of 5
3.+2 angry faces (like whipped) in all cities, 50% chance of 4 and 90% chance of 6
4.all cities lose 1 population
5.all cities gain +1 healthy face
6.all cities gain +2 healthy faces

Attachments

• randomeventslist.txt
    47.5 KB · Views: 51
Nope, you're overthinking it!

Event157
Healing Plant
Prereq:
Obsolete: FEUDALISM or MACHINERY or PHILOSOPHY
Active/Weight: 70/100
Result:
1.+1 happy face for 10 turns
2.+1 angry face (like whipped) in all cities, 20% chance of 4 and 35% chance of 5
3.+2 angry faces (like whipped) in all cities, 50% chance of 4 and 90% chance of 6
4.all cities lose 1 population
5.all cities gain +1 healthy face
6.all cities gain +2 healthy faces

So when the even fires it has to choose between 5 & 6. There's no +0 health option. If +2 health is the limit that suggests that there may be another +1 health event.

Event164
Better Coal
Prereq: own plot with Coal AND Mine
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 75/100
Result:
1.+4 production from coal plants
2.+2 production AND +1 health from drydocks

Idle thinking ... The +2 health event shows up in the city screen as +2 from civilization. Starting a new game as Pacal shows +2 health from civilization in the city screen. Could there be a limit to this and hence Pacal won't get the event as a result?

I'm also seeing an increase in the Great Library event. Only major change is specifying a different set of opponents. And I've just seen Sports League now in 2 straight games. To be fair I've only recently started using events so there may be some luck involved.

You may be on to something about the +2 health event. I never got it as Pacal.
The Great library event I also never got with Pacal. but it is not related to opponents, since I always play vs. Musa and Ghandi.

@zarkon
I'm rational , and I want to believe it is just chance. But I've played so many games with Pacal, including tens of thousands of starts, and some events were NEVER there.
I don't use a totally different strategy and well aware of when events could be turned on if they exist in game.
There's no explanation from the file apart from saying I had really unbelievably bad luck...
So I'm exploring this issue :)

I'm rational , and I want to believe it is just chance. But I've played so many games with Pacal, including tens of thousands of starts, and some events were NEVER there.
You're going to make me trawl through the code aren't you :lol:

I have the complete source code, Firaxis released it some years ago.
Good to know!! :eek::D
I'll probably download and look at some points when I have time and enough desire to understand something to go into it.

Another thought - I also moved from Terra to Highlands.
Perhaps could a map-script disable events? (in this case Terra)

Sorry. Didn't mean to create work. But has the +1 health option appeared for the health event? If not the program might be checking on the status of the Hanging Gardens before creating the option of +2 health. In other words, build the HG after the event fires.

Now on highlands with Huayna Chapec, I get a lot more of the Great library quest and the +2 health "experiment" test. I played months without getting them AT ALL and now they spam my games (and I've only started getting into maps a few days ago).
What gives? :?
It may be in the batch of maps map finder produces. If an event is in one map from a set of maps then it is likely in all of the maps in that set. Something to do with preserving the random seed. I've been seeing the Sports League quest enough I can probably play another map with the certainty of a free golden age lurking.

Mapfinder doesn't have "batches" of the same random seed AFAIK.
However, both GA quests have a (theoretically) decent chance to appear, and I sometimes (rarely) even have both, but this just didn't happen at all with Pacal on Terra.

To be clear, "Sports league" has 25% to appear in the game quests, and has weight of 500.
With enough turns (which it should have between construction and modern age) it should be close enough to 25% be in a game proper. Say 20% (and 5% games that you are unlucky to get it although in game).

So, in a NORMAL situation, it SHOULD appear once every 5 games. Not a mapfinder issue, it's an issue with other maps or leaders..

It may be in the batch of maps map finder produces.
I think you're onto something - when do the game quests get generated and do they get reset when you regenerate a map?? It may be they are all set at the beginning and if you play 100 maps from the same mapfinder run they will all have the same events enabled??

Top Bottom