[BTS] BOTM 183: Relive SGOTM - First Spoiler - 1AD

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff
I just remembered I needed to post spoiler threads.... so here they are.

Anything interesting?
If you played SGOTM15 do you see any differences?

Managed to get to 100ad so far. When you said there were some map changes, I immediately conjectured the opening above the stone. That made most sense. I aven't managed to take advantage of it because I was slow to settle that spot. We'll see what happens. Otherwise, I was doing quite well but dropped my guard and TOku attacked me from the east and captured my gold city. PITA. Cost me a ton of failgold, some buildings, and the Hanging Gardens. All for the lack of a couple of extra axes.

I didn't play SGOTM15, but I glanced at a couple of those threads to get at least a bit an idea of what a...challenging...map I'd be up against.

By 1 AD, I've settled seven of my own cities, built the Pyramids and switched to Representation, and I've gone to war against Tokugawa and captured two of his cities.

So, besides all the different team threads, is there a results thread for SGOTM15?

Played the monarch save, but still went Poly directly and converted to it to get the theme...

Lost my first warrior to a bear slightly east of Toku and lost the first warrior+settler combo on a hill against a Lion.

Growth was probably a little too slow and I should have gone more the military route, because I wasn't able to outresearch neighbors enough.

Built the pyramids and switched to representation as well.

Love that map so far. Great creation @neilmeister. Absolutely my taste, smells like Always War, with a (seemingly) inapropriate leader, but could also turn out into an Espionage / Great Person game.
I still decide to play it within the Botm-rules, so no reloading/restarting and I will also stick to the Hindu-rule. Level is monarch.

So I settle on the stone (early wonders are more important), and research Agri / Poly / BW / masonry. Switch to Hindu and after a couple of guys who I'd met, I know what's coming next. No-one will like me, not even OB will be possible. Everyone is buddhist. But to be Hindu opens up the Mono-route and I love to get OR very early. So Mono again (just like Botm 196) before Pottery/WRI to get all those basic buildings with a hammer bonus. Having a religion is also better than building monuments, so I can neglect SH and build TGW (Great Spy will become key element, I suppose).

Spoiler Placements of my 2./3./4. city at 50 BC: :
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

The real Tokugawa is plotting and I don't even try to please him. All the others get a gift from time to time. I try to please my direct neighbours and als ask them so stop trading with XY, so several guys could not even reach me. If EVERYONE had the Tokugawa-Personality (questionmark @neilmeister ), they should bear a grudge and re-open borders only with reluctance, so think "stop trading with" could be a good tool.

I wanted to bulb Construction, but I couldn't finish the Oracle because it took to long to tech towards Math, so Hatsegawa built it. "She" has the best techs so I go to steal from her. Most difficult part of the early-game = getting my spies through Toku's land w/o getting caught. Also in Hatshy land, my spies are not safe so I spent 1x counter-espionage on each of them. Toku also destroys my gold again and again. I finally get several techs from Hatshy, MC + Aestetics + even Machinery later. The tech pace is not too bad (for Monarch, for Tokugawas), but I am tech leader without doubt.

Besides Great Wall, I built Mids, HG (because I had 7 cities at that point) and I try for the Mausoleum at 50 BC.
No one else is plotting, but no-one is trading either, of course. I do my best to avoid getting really hated and I see a little chance of a game-shift here: Hammuragawa has one Hindu-city (random spread) and I could switch his religion with a couple of spies, once I am done with Hatshy. This could be enough to open borders and get a kind of buddy. Let's see if it works out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom