[BTS] BOTM 256: Maya; Prince - Final spoiler (Game submitted)

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
BOTM 256: Pacal II, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

How did it go? Any fun anecdotes?
Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 256 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Soon after 1 AD I met the 2 remaining AIs, and they were also backwards. Until then I was a bit afraid they would have all the great land with gold mines and stuff, and perhap be ahead of me...

So I stopped expansion after my 13th city, then teched/bulbed my way into Military Tradition (800AD), switched to Theocracy/slavery, and attacked Persia's archers and axemen in 920. The Indians, with whom I shared my religion, had already peace-vassaled.

When fighting Hannibal, I had to defy an AP resolution, but it was basically just noise. Conquered the last AI in 1180.
Built 75 cuirs, which I think is more than I ever did. 6 of them were lost. Encountered only a handful of pikemen and longbows.

It was a fun game!

Shortly after 1AD I captured the remaining Persian cities with my horse archers and went on to attack Hannibal. Unfortunately, he had a second metal resource, so this war came at a higher cost since I didn't have construction yet. Made peace when he was down to one city and got construction and CoL in the deal. The Russians were the next target and because they had metal units; I built a couple of cats to take care of the capital. I had chopped a lot of courthouses in the former Persian cities and built the Forbidden Palace in Persepolis and also chopped The Colossus, so the economy was good enough to warrant a push to Guilds and knights. The Russians were mostly gone when the Knights appeared on the scene and increased the Mayan power rating, pushing Gandhi to become a peace vassal (he was already at "friendly"). The end game was simultaneous attacks on Hatty and Genghis paired with settling empty parts of the northern ice and tundra. Hatty was left with one city to avoid conquest and the cultural slider was set to 100%. The timing could have been more precise and building more settlers earlier on would have resulted in an earlier domination date.

Domination victory in 1610AD.
It was harder than I thought to finish this map. Well, I am usually slow in finishing games.
Cyrus offered to peace vassal (in other games, Gandhi made the same move) since we were alreay friendly with each other.
Gandhi was a cakewalk, only that Bombay revolted all the time after the conquest. He must have built lots of culture around.
For Catherine and Hannibal, Knights plus Trebs were enough.
Then I made the mistake to declare simultanously at Hatty + Genghis, because i wanted to finish the game.
I had underestimated their fire power. They recaptured several of my vassal's cities.
Also Hatty surprised me, she had 50 pikemen or so. So I had to tech up to Cuirs and eventually also Cavalry to take her cities.
All these forests didn't make it easy to reach her spots. Also the fact that everyone had insane production (Catherine could offer 21 Deer when I capped her) lead to higher unit production I suppose.
I never enjoy end games, but it was a great scenario, thanks for creating!

Arrrgh! First time I’ve actually found time to play a GOTM for ages, and I’ve just had the most stupid embarrassing defeat.

It’s 1834AD. I, along with my vassal Gandhi have 57% of the land. I’ve almost finished building my spaceship, and am 1 turn from Genetics to build the final parts. Everyone else is miles behind, so victory is guaranteed. Then up pops the usual dialog asking me to vote for Gandhi for Apostolic Palace thingy. Those votes have been coming up regularly for ages and of course I vote for him, scarcely even looking at the dialog. I’d rather have my vassal in charge than one of my opponents. Dialog goes away. Then just too late the text of the dialog registers in my brain… that wasn’t a vote for who runs the apostolic palace… It was a vote for diplomatic (religious) victory! And I hold almost all the Apostolic Palace votes.

Ooopsy!

Sure enough, next turn.

botm256-defeat.jpg

With most of my spaceship already on the launching pad, I’ve just voted myself a defeat! :lol: :cry::lol::cry::lol:

Arrrgh! First time I’ve actually found time to play a GOTM for ages, and I’ve just had the most stupid embarrassing defeat.

It’s 1834AD. I, along with my vassal Gandhi have 57% of the land. I’ve almost finished building my spaceship, and am 1 turn from Genetics to build the final parts. Everyone else is miles behind, so victory is guaranteed. Then up pops the usual dialog asking me to vote for Gandhi for Apostolic Palace thingy. Those votes have been coming up regularly for ages and of course I vote for him, scarcely even looking at the dialog. I’d rather have my vassal in charge than one of my opponents. Dialog goes away. Then just too late the text of the dialog registers in my brain… that wasn’t a vote for who runs the apostolic palace… It was a vote for diplomatic (religious) victory! And I hold almost all the Apostolic Palace votes.

Ooopsy!

Sure enough, next turn.

View attachment 671479

With most of my spaceship already on the launching pad, I’ve just voted myself a defeat! :lol: :cry::lol::cry::lol:
I am a little bit happy to hear that, since I know darn well that I will do a faceplant on your deity map. 😘

Ouch, that's an epic loss DynamicSpirit!

I did it the other way around and had Gandhi vote me the Pope. ;) Not a particularly fast religious victory, didn't go for it immediately and was a vote short on the first vote. It had been ages since my last religious victory so had to refresh on the mechanics as well. For the rest a peaceful game, but for declaring on Hannibal when Gandhi asked for it when he was attacked by the Carthaginian, to ensure some extra friendly points as a buffer.

A few other random things from my game.

The AI's management of the forested tundra was awful. Where I was carefully preserving forests for lumbermills, knowing that on non-irrigated flat tundra there was nothing else you could do with the tiles, in the mid-late game the AI started just routinely chopping those forests. I could've cried... the cities I'd been planning to capture/settle where the land all around had been irreversibly reduced to waste by incompetent AIs! (See, I was warring and conquering with the best of intentions - protecting the environment!)

I also had a very unusual event: India offered to peace-vassal to me at a time when they were at war with Carthage. I've never seen an AI do that before and didn't even realise it was possible. I almost never accept vassals when going for space because of the land domination limit, but I accepted this one out of pure curiosity to see what would happen (and besides, the +1 happy wouldn't hurt on this map). As it turned out, it meant I automatically declared war on Carthage, which was fine: I was mentally eyeing up some of their land anyway. And India didn't do too badly out of the deal either - they took several cities off Carthage and later Egypt courtesy of my wars, as well as that religious win.

A few other random things from my game.

The AI's management of the forested tundra was awful. Where I was carefully preserving forests for lumbermills, knowing that on non-irrigated flat tundra there was nothing else you could do with the tiles, in the mid-late game the AI started just routinely chopping those forests. I could've cried... the cities I'd been planning to capture/settle where the land all around had been irreversibly reduced to waste by incompetent AIs! (See, I was warring and conquering with the best of intentions - protecting the environment!)

I also had a very unusual event: India offered to peace-vassal to me at a time when they were at war with Carthage. I've never seen an AI do that before and didn't even realise it was possible. I almost never accept vassals when going for space because of the land domination limit, but I accepted this one out of pure curiosity to see what would happen (and besides, the +1 happy wouldn't hurt on this map). As it turned out, it meant I automatically declared war on Carthage, which was fine: I was mentally eyeing up some of their land anyway. And India didn't do too badly out of the deal either - they took several cities off Carthage and later Egypt courtesy of my wars, as well as that religious win.
Late reply, but I'm surprised you've never had that happen to you before. Admittedly, I mostly play modded (FFH2), but it happens all the time, and you have to be super careful when they're at war with the game-dominating AI. I generally don't like vassals, so I normally turn it down anyway.

Top Bottom