[BTS] BOTM 259: Montezuma, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 259: Montezuma, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 259, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Challenger save, 25 AD, 7 cities and 37 pop

Thanks for creating this map @DynamicSpirit - I like it a lot! I expected to have barb troubles, but still was too lazy to go Archery so I built overall 11 chariots and lost only 2 :thumbsup: The moment barb spears and swords came in, I had Jaguars. My WM3 guy picks off easy targets in the jungle.

I also took 1 barb city and razed one. Gilgamesh tries to steal my tiles but he is a very reliable trading partner and sends Confu missionaries to ALL my cities, so I will definitely attack Alex soon (Construction is 1 turn away). He doesn't seem too strong and is the first neighbour to the South.

Happiness was a problem before I could finally get TR into Gilgamesh and trade for Gems and Fur with Kublai. I still need more workers for the calender stuff. Trying to build some wonders as well, at the moment I am working on Mausallos, GLib and Parthenon. Artemis gave me nice fail gold. With all these cottage spots, the teching goes rather fast despite the difficulty.

And I forgot about my unique building and have ignored CoL so far. Probably after Construction + Horseback, first I want to get ready for war and then I will certainly need the whip anger reducer! :mad: --> :crazyeye: --> :cool:

Last edited:
Contender save. 8 cities and 49 pop @1AD.
Also 9 workers and 7 jaguar warriors, but still playing a peaceful game.
With so much available land, I chose to get some early wonders instead of expanding too fast.
Ended up getting SH (1760BC), TGW (1120BC), Oracle (975BC for MC) and Pyramids (rushed with a GE from early forge, 600BC).
Even then, I am not touching the sci slider. @0% -1gpt/47bpt. Currency, Aesth, Monarchy and MC are my most advanced techs. The AI has CoL, Calendar Construction and HBR over me.
Gilga has sent a lot of jewish missionaries my way, so I happily adopted his religion. That made me worst enemy of 3 rivals, but I am not too worried about that. :mischief:

Hello folks! This was my first Game of the Month for about 15 years... fun to jump back into Civ4 after all this time.

I remembered that rushing with UUs seemed to be a popular thing - so my aim was to get Iron Working early and try to get some traction with the Jaguar warriors. I was hoping to find an AI border close to me but had no joy with my early scouting. I eventually dedicated my first few Jaguars to head east only to find that they would be up against Creative/Protective Gilgamesh!

I also had to clear a badly placed barb city on my way to the Sumerian Empire.

By this stage I felt I had gone all-in for early conflict so decided to chance my arm against Sumeria.

There was a slight opening for attack where the number of defending archers had been diluted by the AI sending out a settler and Archer party so I declared in 750 BC. I can't remember all the gory details but by 1 AD I had built 24 Jaguars and lost 11. I had managed to take one of his cities and raze another which was his source of metal. With heavy losses and no chance of taking his capitals with my remaining Jaguar force, I resorted to general harassment before taking a peace deal (got Mathematics).

My economy was running on fumes and I suffered one turn of my units striking before desperately plopping down some cottages.

At 1 AD I have 6 cities and a total pop of 24. I've started teching to Currency to see if I can claw my economy back up off the floor (@ 0% research I'm getting 14 gpt). No religion adopted yet - hopefully I can get the same religion as Alexander and play nice with him.
13 Jaguars still standing, 3 chariots, 11 workers.

Once I've got the economy to support another invasion I'd like to take another swing at Gilgamesh with catapults and hopefully elephants too.

This game is a lot of fun. Thanks for the map!

I usually go for the fastest spaceship, mainly because I like the late game and don't want to miss it, and this game is no exception. But it would be a shame not to try Jaguar on a rainforest map. So UU rush was my intention before the game. Another idea I had in mind was the Oracle CoL for early UB and the caste system. Since we are SPIs, the caste system effectively solves problems with culture. Early religion also benefits SPI.

I settled S-SW, as many other players, I suspect. Went for 3 cities - Oracle - mass expansion. Oracle was completed by turn 64 - after some micromanagement, I was able to get the exact number of hammers AND commerce to finish Oracle ASAP. These are my favorite moments in CIV.
Spoiler Oracle :
63.JPG

I think I used SPI to the fullest. I switched between slavery and CS all the time to spread borders with artists. It really helped against barbarians - thanks to the vision and roads, I was able to defend myself with just 1-2 chariots for a long time. Happiness from the early religion and SPI temple also helped. A cheap temple and priest helped me get an early shrine. I was the worst enemy of Inca - so I switched off my religion for 5 turns to be able to trade techs with him.

I attacked Gilgamesh on turn 107 with 10 jaguars, 3 chariots and 6 catapults. In the first round of the war, the jaguars captured two cities (including the one with copper). Thanks to this, the catapults could use its roads and get to the capital faster. By turn 115 I captured 4 cities. On move 119, I captured another city and killed Gilgamesh. In the end, I was satisfied with the Jaguars - the best scouts in this mapscript, good against barbs. Probably good old cuirsrush was even better, but it's too boring.

T115 stats:
12 cities
67 pop
14 workers
187 CY
44 MFG
100% bpt/gpt 134/ -115
0% bpt/gpt 11; -4

Spoiler Empire :

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Actually, I feel like I overexpanded and underbuilt workers. II'm surprised at how bad my economy is - despite the Shrine, 2 silvers and 5 courthouses. So overall game feels pretty slow. I'll try to launch before T250, but I'm not sure whether it is possible from my current situation.

I don't have time to finish this game with enough attention, so I will just click through the second half.

Top Bottom