[BTS] BOTM 262: Saladin, Prince - Final Spoiler (Game submitted)

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
BOTM 262: Saladin, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 262 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

After 1AD I prepared first to get rid of Tokugawa. He was cleared off the map without too much trouble, be it with a short peaceful interlude to get reinforcements close by.

Teching went rather slowly. I had rushed the MoM with a GE in the late BCs. My next great person was also a GE which was used for a first golden age. However, after that I popped two low-odds Great Artists in a row, which of course were of no direct use with the Great Artist from music. So I didn't get a second GA until well into the 1200s.

By then I was still busy with Stalin. His first city had fallen rather easily with the veterans from the Japanese war, but the battle for St Petersburg was rather bloody. In a rare AI display of good tactics, Stalin threw a whole bunch of catapults at my stack and wiped it out nearly completely. It also didn't help that he had a magic crossbow that was unscathed after 4 camels tried to trample it down. He also sent some raiding parties by boat to my soft Japanese underbelly and two cities switched hands a couple of times. So the war dragged on quite a while, finally I did manage to get St Petersburg, but had to peace out for reinforcements. After that ran out, the rest of Russia was annexed speedily enough.

Then I poured my units into Khmer lands to attack the Chinese from there, they were the most backwards. Conquered it all without trouble. Meanwhile I had been filling out unclaimed land on the home continent. As the former Chinese cities came out of revolt I attacked the Khmer, but hit domination after conquering their first two cities.

All in all quite a slow game, in part surely due to suboptimal play. Hit domination at a time when in other circumstances I might be busy assembling space parts, in this case I just barely had libbed biology. :lol:

A fun game, I learned alot from this one but still lost to the AI. :cry: Chinese space victory. Took Beijing hoping to stop the launch but I guess that is a Civ3 thing. I did learn that spies can sabotage space ship parts. Had a 68% but missed it. On top of that disappointment somehow my docking station went missing and so the Chinese won the space race by five turns, On top of that I was only 5% away from the land I needed for a domination victory. Could have snagged that if I hadn't trapped my army in Beijing on the Fool's Errand.

Good fun game - loved the puzzle of the low commerce start with very few strong (peaceful) city spots nearby.

I went for a Space Victory this time.

After my peaceful Pre-1AD REX I got a couple more pieces on the board (Hanging Gardens complete and Construction) and went for Ethiopia. Toku DoW'd him first so I had to jump in quick to make sure I would get what I wanted. Very easy fights to take out his 3 best cities and sue for peace. When I took Aksum I got the Pyramids and switched into Representation. I made peace for Code of Laws and Monotheism, then started to tech into CS which came in at 840 AD.

I got Stalin to pleased fairly early on, he was doing well and made a useful tech buddy.

A few turns after CS I declared on Japan and took Toku's best cities with Elephants and Cats before making peace for his Machinery tech. The peace break was good with the remaining Japanese cities being a buffer between me and my mate Stalin and I needed some time for more units and army healing.

In this break I went Liberalism -> Astronomy in 1230 AD to get my international GLH trades up and running and to send some settlers to the antipodes. Around this time I built a new palace in Kyoto where I put Oxford University.

I had to quickly take out the last two puny Ethiopian cities because Stalin and Toku declared on him and sent their armies in.

Next event was 1320 AD when I made final war with Japan and took his three remaining cities. Around this time I settled Australia and New Zealand for some nice internal trade routes.

Stalin was fearing that I was becoming too advanced, but I had a plan for that, teching straight for Communism and sharing in some State Property made him a very effusive comrade.

I'm unfamiliar with optimal space racing but thought the plan for beelining Super Conductors (1610 AD) and building lots of labs was the way to go.

I built Apollo Program with aluminium in 1695 AD and actually managed to get some useful trades along the way from Stalin; Steel/Democracy/Corporation/Railroad. It was all selftech after that point though. With a big home continent full of grassland workshops I was in a "hammer economy" that would benefit nicely from Three Gorges Dam (1715 AD).

Around this time I started playing war with Khmer for some capture gold.

I launched my spaceship with all the parts in 1814 AD with one turn left on my 4th golden age.

While I was watching my ship fly through space I declared war on China and took their cities over 7 turns to give me something to do and for a higher score. Was fun playing with gunships, modern armor, bombers and marines.

This felt like a fast Space Victory for me with 1834 AD. I came out satisfied with my meta-strategy with coastal cities, GLH, emphasising production, short snappy wars, partnering with happy Stalin, and lots of settler building. I'm sure I messed some stuff up, maybe my wars were broken into too many parts, and I'm bad at micro - but that's what GOTMs are here to help improve!

Fun fact - I built exactly 0 cottages this game!

Spoiler Happy Joe :
Stalin love.png

1580 Diplomatic victory, got it 1 turn earlier than in the previous Victoria game despite a slower tech pace (1030 Astro, 1430 Mass Media), mostly by better great people management and planning for the UN build (having all cottages and windmills in capital 1-turn from being converted to workshops and mines, etc.). Wasn't necessarily planning to go for the same victory again, but having 3 friendly neighbors on continent due to same religion and no way to get a clear military tech advantage in the midgame made it the more natural route.

Got 7 great scientists in the end from running caste-pacifism most of the game except for whipping rounds (thanks to SPI), first for philosophy for pacifism and for some tech trades, 2nd to start a golden age, 3rd for printing press, 4th-5th for scientific method, then I libbed Physics and used the free GS on Electricity (7th GS after mass media used for chemistry to boost workshops). Traded the pre-reqs for Communism ASAP to Zara and Stalin so one of them would research it for State Property.

In the first UN voting round I was 20 votes short of a diplo Victory with Zara, Stalin and Toku, eventually got Mao to +9 with shared civic when he finally adopted State Property, and got to +10 by bribing him into a joint war on Sury just before the 2nd diplo victory vote.

Top Bottom