[GS] Bought a new computer I hope will be great for Gathering Storm

I've been playing civ6 on my old laptop (intel Core i3, 2.6 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, no dedicated graphics card). It works well if I play on small maps, low graphics settings and turn off diplo animations. I thought it was about time I upgrade my gaming machine to enjoy Gathering Storm in all its glory. Of course, I will use it for other games and stuff too. :)

Here are the relevant specs of the computer I purchased on Amazon (to be delivered on Saturday):
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor, Quad-Core, 3.50GHz.
  • Video graphics: AMD Radeon RX 550 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated).
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (I purchased an extra 16 Gb to increase the RAM even more).
  • Hard drive: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA.
I know it is probably not top of the line but it should make playing Gathering Storm and other games much better. I am so excited and just had to share with my civ fanatics friends. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been playing civ6 on my old laptop. It works well if I play on small maps, low graphics settings and turn off diplo animations. I thought it was about time I upgrade my gaming machine to enjoy Gathering Storm in all its glory. Of course, I will use it for other games and stuff too. :)

Here are the relevant specs of the computer I purchased on Amazon (to be delivered on Saturday):
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor, Quad-Core, 3.50GHz.
  • Video graphics: AMD Radeon RX 550 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated).
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (I purchased an extra 16 Gb to increase the RAM even more).
  • Hard drive: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA.
I know it is probably not top of the line but it should make playing Gathering Storm and other games much better. I am so excited and just had to share with my civ fanatics friends. :)

Thanks.
I have an i7 8700 rated @ 3.2 GHz and I have no issues what-so-ever on standard map sizes that come with the game. The modded ones sometimes slow down, and the closer I get to ludicrous (200x100), the more noticeable the lag is. But even on the ludicrous, it's not really all that slow that it becomes a bother.

I have an i7 8700 rated @ 3.2 GHz and I have no issues what-so-ever on standard map sizes that come with the game. The modded ones sometimes slow down, and the closer I get to ludicrous (200x100), the more noticeable the lag is. But even on the ludicrous, it's not really all that slow that it becomes a bother.

Good to know. Thanks. I am really looking forward to having a computer that can give me the full civ6 experience.

Nice!

Ryzen 3 + RX 550 should work splendidly for Standard and Large maps, you'll probably get some slowdown late in game on the larger map sizes but still perfectly acceptable to the point you'll be enjoying the full experience. I built a Ryzen 5 + RX 580 machine recently and have been completely satisfied with it (my first gaming build too!). I get some minor slowdown on Huge maps when using the Historic speed mod because the AI builds a metric butt-ton of units with it, but nothing that bothers me. AMD is doing some really good stuff for people on tighter budgets.

Happy gaming!

Nice!

Ryzen 3 + RX 550 should work splendidly for Standard and Large maps, you'll probably get some slowdown late in game on the larger map sizes but still perfectly acceptable to the point you'll be enjoying the full experience. I built a Ryzen 5 + RX 580 machine recently and have been completely satisfied with it (my first gaming build too!). I get some minor slowdown on Huge maps when using the Historic speed mod because the AI builds a metric butt-ton of units with it, but nothing that bothers me. AMD is doing some really good stuff for people on tighter budgets.

Happy gaming!

Awesome. Thanks!

Should work well, but what I found helped me a ton was moving civ to my ssd drive. You may want to look into picking one up. It holds my OS and then my major played games only. So 90% is on a regular sata drive then things like civ make change to the ssd.

Should work well, but what I found helped me a ton was moving civ to my ssd drive. You may want to look into picking one up. It holds my OS and then my major played games only. So 90% is on a regular sata drive then things like civ make change to the ssd.

Thanks

For reference folks, I updated the OP with the specs of my current laptop:
Intel Core i3 2.6 GHz
16 Gb RAM
No dedicated graphics card

So a pretty big jump I think from my current machine to my new machine.

Well mine is going on 10 years old with the exception of my video card and 10k rpm hard drive. I can actually play large maps.

My PC is 11 years old now (first gen i7, with ssd and updated last year to gtx1060) and runs acceptably on any stock size 60fps until about atomic era before turn time start to drag. Civilization is actually pretty generous to older PC's.

I bought a laptop last year and was disappointed with the performance, so I added a m.2 ssd, while the rest of the laptop specs are similar to my pc, (mis level i5, mobile 1050ti, ddr4 vs ddr3 on my pc), the much faster HDD makes a big difference. The game is more fluid(?).

What I am getting at, if your PC can take it, spend the money on a good m.2 ssd. They aren't cheap, but I get 2500MBps on mine vs 250 on my SSD and 75 on my HDD.

I'm hoping to upgrade for civ 7, maybe I have time.

That's 50 in computer years.

Not necessarily. My current built I assembled in July 2014, and it runs civ 6 with everything on high and above without much hiccup (including the venerable GTX 760). It depends on what parts you select for future-proofing.

For example, just a few days ago I discovered that my CPU (Intel I7 4790 @ 4 GHz) is selling right now at double or more the price I paid back in 2014... who said real estate is the only investment that doubles in a few years??? :lol::lol::lol:

I have seen prices as crazy as 1200 US$ for that CPU, no idea why... people must love it.

Thanks guys for all the kind words and tips. I should get the computer tomorrow. I will keep you all posted on how civ6 plays on it.

I bought one too:

AMD RYZEN 2700
NVidea 2200 RTX
16 SSD and a little 2TB user hard drive, with a 256 TB Windows.

I really hope that is enough?

Okay you guys convinced me, time to build a new computer. My health seems well enough that I shouldn't be out of work. *knocks on wood*

Question on the ssd's. Do you guys keep your saved games on that as well? Should I have both the game files and save games on the ssd?

Okay you guys convinced me, time to build a new computer. My health seems well enough that I shouldn't be out of work. *knocks on wood*

Question on the ssd's. Do you guys keep your saved games on that as well? Should I have both the game files and save games on the ssd?
I would (I mean I am). It would be a waste not to get 'full optimized i/o" if you are going for a ssd. It's not like the saves will take up a lot space (relatively speaking)

Top Bottom