Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here, so be gentle. The question of which civ's to include involves much more than historical significance. An even more important factor in my opinion is diversity. IMO the game would be somewhat less interesting if Polynesia wasn't included. Putting aside the fact that it's not really a civ in the "traditional" sense, it's also somewhat difficult to make a case for its inclusion on historical grounds. Nonetheless, it makes the game more geographically diverse and (again IMO) more interesting to play.

My wild-ass guesses with leaders and confidence:
Poland (Casimir III) 100%
Assyria (Shamsi-Adad I) - 100%
Zulu (Shaka) - 90%
Kongo (Nzinga Mbemba/Afonso I) - 50% - could be another African civ in its place I suppose but we need two for sure
Brazil (Pedro II) - 70% - There's got to be at least one new S. American civ and this one makes the most sense
Indonesia (Gajah Mada) - 50% - Ditto for Asia
Portugal (Joao II) - 60%
Khmer (Jayavarman II) - 35% - the only other candidate for Asia is Vietnam I would think.
Sioux (Sitting Bull) - 20% - have a feeling another native American civ will be added for $$ reasons. I'd much prefer seeing Israel or the Almohad in this slot)

There's still plenty of cities in the world that can be made into city-states.

Kiev (unless that's already Russian)

Kiev is long overdue to be in the game. I always tough they were in the Russian city list but when I discovered that they weren't, I was very surprised that they weren't a city-state from the beginning.

I'm new here, so be gentle. The question of which civ's to include involves much more than historical significance. An even more important factor in my opinion is diversity. IMO the game would be somewhat less interesting if Polynesia wasn't included. Putting aside the fact that it's not really a civ in the "traditional" sense, it's also somewhat difficult to make a case for its inclusion on historical grounds. Nonetheless, it makes the game more geographically diverse and (again IMO) more interesting to play.

Zulu (Shaka) - 90%
Kongo (Nzinga Mbemba/Afonso I) - 50% - could be another African civ in its place I suppose but we need two for sure
Brazil (Pedro II) - 70% - There's got to be at least one new S. American civ and this one makes the most sense
Portugal (Joao II) - 60%
Khmer (Jayavarman II) - 35% - the only other candidate for Asia is Vietnam I would think.
Sioux (Sitting Bull) - 20% - have a feeling another native American civ will be added for $$ reasons. I'd much prefer seeing Israel or the Almohad in this slot)

Nice list, good arguments. I just think Portugal has more chances over Brazil to be in the game. (both in the game will be awsome)

Ill be very cautious with the words permannt impact my friend. Im sure no other great Empire see the falling coming. BTW, i dont have any problem with America in the game, i just dont understand why not other modern Nations. Make the game more dinamic and its good for those like me who enjoiyn especialy play the last turns.

Of course America won't last forever. America will fall just like all other empires have fallen (and at the rate things are going it will probably happen this century). The Roman Empire is no longer here, but their impact was still permanent. The Mongol empire is no longer here, but their impact is permanent. That's what I meant about America. Even after America falls, they still influenced the 20th and 21st century, which will affect all the centuries that come after that.

I think that Brazil should be in the game too. Every continent (except Oceania) is represented by at least one modern civ (the civ may be old but still exists today, like France for example). Modern South America is COMPLETELY unrepresented. And out of all the possible civs that could be used to represent modern South America, I think Brazil is the best one.

Brazil has one of the largest economies in the world, is the fifth most populous country in the world and also one of the largest.

He participated in the war with Paraguay, the largest armed conflict in south america.

Brazil will host the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016

is already more than time for Brazil to enter the game.

Why Americans on this forum are writing we?Do you asocciate yourselves with the government?

Very strongly actually. It's culturally ingrained and it's why half of us pitch a huge fit when our preferred representatives aren't controlling things. Our first national document began with "We the People".

I'm gonna go (order of likelyhood):

3. Portugal (lock)
4. Kongo (lock)
5. Zulu (lock)
6. Indonesia (lock)

In that second tier in no particular order:

Italy, Brazil, Israel, Cherokee, Belgium, Vietnam, Sioux, Morocco, Khazars.

Of those, the three I think we get:

1. Brazil
2. Italy
3. Sioux

Brazil has one of the largest economies in the world, is the fifth most populous country in the world and also one of the largest.

He participated in the war with Paraguay, the largest armed conflict in south america.

I agree, Brazil is the undisputed superpower of South America. Out of 9 new civs, it will be disappointing if Brazil is not one of them.

And who cares if Brazil is a "modern civ"? Doesn't the game civilization span all of human history from far ancient times all the way to the space age, or does the game end in the year 1500? There should be several civs from each era of the game. And Brazil is certainly worthy as a modern civ.

It's also a really, really interesting civilization with many unique historical and cultural elements. Colonization, the slave trade, incredibly rich musical, artistic and athletic histories, the Amazon, great architecture, the list goes on. The debate over which civs deserve to be included assumes that there's some uniform standard by which one can determine merit. There isn't.

I think it's not the best idea to put Portugal and Brazil in the same expansion. Brazil can be released as DLC though. Maybe even in pack with Gran Colombia.

I think it's not the best idea to put Portugal and Brazil in the same expansion. Brazil can be released as DLC though. Maybe even in pack with Gran Colombia.

But the game is England and America

America was colony of England.

Brazil and Portugal in the game, I see no problem

Going with the world congress thing, maybe Switzerland?

Also, Italians would fit in nicely with almost all the new features (trade, great artists/musicians, tourism, archaeology).

You know what - I am thinking we won't even see a native American civ this time around. And if we do I am going to put my money on the Anasazi making a surprise appearance. It may be because the Title's expansion could refer to the classic H.G. Wells "Brave New World" and where the Anasazi and their descendants feature so prominently in a world government/congress that it will be the ultimate dark horse.

As said before - The Sioux, Comanche, and Apache would not exist today as we think about them if it were not for the Anasazi/Pueblo/Hohokam [Whatever term would be used to include them] and their defeat of the Spanish southwestern colony. Had the Spaniards not been defeated the monarchy was looking to push even further inland changing the history of the US with Spanish settlers and horses would never have been adopted by Native Americans in the plains had the Anasazi not seized thousands from the fleeing Spaniards.

Zulu (Shaka) - 90%
Portugal (Joao II) - 60%

Yeah, your list and justifications are pretty close to mine, and I echo the sentiment that a lot more than "impact" goes into Firaxis' choices. I'd move Portugal up to 90-100% personally, and replace Khmer with Belgium because they tie into the Africa scenario, they fit the diplomacy theme, I don't think Asia will get more than 1, and I don't think Europe will get only 2 (unfortunately). Cherokee over Sioux could be possible, but I'm cool with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom