Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, for the language areguement, I give thee Ramases II of egypt. Ancient coptic is entirely dead, and their are only about 400 or so scholars who can transcribe the writting. Problem? Nope, use an archaic form of egyptian arabic. Language isn't a problem so long as you can find a suitable substitute.

I think we'll get 2-4 DLC packs (Scenario + 2/3 civs) after this then Civ VI in Fall of 2014 or Spring of 2015.

Although I agree with on Gran Colombia, I disagree on Yugoslavia, particularly on the "didn't achieve anything" part :

1. Yugoslavia can be considered as civilization, in the way as it represents the slavian south-east Europe, merging Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia. Indeed, it is the slavian civ.

2. Yugoslavia was the leader of the third block during the Cold war, the one of the non-aligned, which gathered the nations that did not wanted to join the eastern or western block.

3. If you're still not convinced, Tito is like Gustavus Adolphus : the civ might not be the most important (which I refute about Yugoslavia case, but for that check the first 2 points), but Tito certainly was one of the most influential people during it's time, being highly respected around the world, his funeral being seen by delegations of 124 nations, including the presence of M. Tachter (that evil witch), Brejnev, I. Ghandi (not the man, the woman), and so on.

As for Sumerians and Hittites, they're in the exactly same case than Assyria and Babylon, who speak akkadian. We have the texts transcripted in our phonetics (not sure if I'm very clear there). For instance, we have the word lugal (lord), the actor giving his voice would say phonetically "lugal".
All that to say yes, they can speak sumerian.

They could have a great UA too:

Yugoslavia:
UA: Crimes against humanity - When cities start flipping due to unhappiness...

Yugoslavia

UA: Some Damned Thing in the Balkans - None of your citizens can stand each other. -500 happiness, lose 1 citizen per turn.

After you reach the Information Era, Yugoslavia splits into separate Civilizations:

Serbia
UA: Nationalism on Crack

Macedonia
UA: The Artist Formerly Known as the Former Yugoslav Republica Formerly Known as Macedonia

Bosnia-Herzegovina
UA: This is, at the Core, Austria's Fault

Croatia
UA: Everyone Just Calm Down and Pretend That the Ustashe Never Happened

Kosovo
UA: Gold Statue of Bill Clinton

Montenegro
UA: Even Little Montenegro!

Slovenia
UA: ...Wait, This is a Country?

As I said, the idea came mostly from looking for a late game City-State Civ that should go for Diplomatic Victory. Because there is room for another one beisdes Greece, Siam and Sweden who all go more for generic CS than late game World Congress manipulation. You can name them "the Slavs" and give them a medieval king as well. It's clear that there are lots of problems with a combination of these countries, but my main point was a gameplay one.

They could have a great UA too:

Yugoslavia:
UA: Crimes against humanity - When cities start flipping due to unhappiness...

Oh yeah, I forgot how much Staline and Mao were an angels ... Certainly, I won't defend him for his crimes, because he really was a jerk. But at the moment Staline and Mao were added, I don't see a reason to add Tito. And in another side, he at least opened his borders to the western world. Of course, he is controversial, I won't deny it.

On the other hand, my wishlist would be :

Sumeria : First civilization (that we can call that way) known, "discovered" writing, first real empire ever known (some argue the first empire ever was the one of Sargon of Akkad, yet I disagree, as we can consider the first real empire being the one of Lugalzugesi). Sumerians had an extremely complexed civilizations, may it be :
1. on military side (developping the phalanx strategy)
2. the religious life (a gigantic pantheon which has nothing to envy from the greeks, and that the babylo-assyrians used)
3. and the social life (the bureaucratic system was very rich, and I won't talk about it here, it would be too long). Sumeria is a must for a game called "civilization".

I suggest the read of S. Kramer, History begins in Sumer.

Israel : Of course, I'm not talking about the modern Israel, but the ancient one. Israel gives us a religious power worth being mentionned, as its existence influenced the arts, the culture, and so on. Is there anyone in the world, or at least in the western world, who has not heard of Solomon, David, and their kingdom ? Certainly, Israel was nothong outstanding in the military side. However, Solomon was known for his series of contructions, and we could base Israel on that side (+ the religious of course).

Tibet : Once again, I'm not talking about the modern Tibet, but ancient Empire under Songtsen Gampo. And yes, I know people keep on saying it's hard because it's politically controversed, and blablabla ... But yet, ignoring that empire is an historical mistake (like the chinese official historical version when they say that the marriage between S. Gampo and the chinese princess Wenchang was an act of submission, which is totally ridiculous). Tibetans do not apparent themselves to chinese, and the only reason Mongolia is today a nation is thanks to the USSR which prohibited China to invade Mongolia since when the country adopted communism. However, if Mongolia was part of China today, would it be also controversial to add Genghis Khan with Mongolia ? The tibetan empire existed, it was a huge empire which welcomed ddifferent religions, like hinduism, buddhism and taoism.

Khmer : Khmer over Viet Nam, because achievement question, it was a lot more influential than the latter. And on top of that, Angkot Thom, capital of the Khmer under Jayavarman VII, was certainly the most populated city in the world during the XIIth century. They certainly influenced the most south-east Asia, and were genious engineers, being able to build an awesome series of canals, able to redistribute water in the entire capital, and surviving the long droughts of several months. Great engeneers, great artists, high population, great influence, damn it, what do you want more aside eurocentrism ?

Kongo : Well, there weren't many africans empires, and kongo was one of them, and a long lasting one. Unfortunately, although many would like to have Niga Mbandi as a leader, she wasn't. She was the leader of Ndongo and Matamba, which were rivals of Kongo ... However, we have Nzinga Nkuwu, who could fill the role as a leader. If I had to give a most important reason for Kongo, it would be his longlasting survival, and his intellegent relationshops with the western forces, particularly Portugal. And of coursse, it would add another african civ, and outside the Ghana/Mali zone, unlike the Ashanti.

Yugoslavia : Well, for every reasons I mentionned earlier, plus the fact tha twe would have a great modern civ to paly with.

Afghans (a good candidate to fill mountain niche lost with the elimination of the Pueblo)
Bulgarians
Hittites
Hungarians
Khazars
Kongolese
Nubians
Taino
Tamils
Vietnamese

As for Sumerians and Hittites, they're in the exactly same case than Assyria and Babylon, who speak akkadian. We have the texts transcripted in our phonetics (not sure if I'm very clear there). For instance, we have the word lugal (lord), the actor giving his voice would say phonetically "lugal". All that to say yes, they can speak sumerian.

I dont think language thing is really enough to choose or not choose a Civ for them. They just seem to prefer Civs that still have alive speakers. If they have two candidates, they rather choose the one with alive language.

Assyrians are still around. They just dont speak exactly the same language anymore. I dont know if Assurbanibal is speaking Assyrian Neo-Aramaic or what, but in a way there is still Assyrian language.

Oh yeah, I forgot how much Staline and Mao were an angels ... Certainly, I won't defend him for his crimes, because he really was a jerk. But at the moment Staline and Mao were added, I don't see a reason to add Tito. And in another side, he at least opened his borders to the western world. Of course, he is controversial, I won't deny it.

I think Menzies is referring to all the atrocities committed by Serbs, Croats, Kosovars, etc. during the civil wars that followed Tito's death.

The man himself, as Communist dictators went, wasn't so bad. His harshest critics allege, at worst, that Tito's regime killed about 5,000 people, mostly Stalinists and ethnic Germans, in reprisals and purges in the immediate postwar years (1945-1951). There's not actually much evidence for those numbers, although certainly Tito had hundreds of Stalinists executed at the very least (then again, they were trying to overthrow him and bring Yugoslav back under Soviet domination—omelette, eggs, etc.).

The Partisans did definitely, at the end of the war, murder tens of thousands of Croatian, Slovenian, and Serbian prisoners of war (fascists and monarchists) and an uncertain number of civilians along with them, but this was in direct contravention of Tito's orders. Some people claim that Tito's orders were just a ruse, and that he secretly plotted those killings, but, again, there's no evidence, and that claim in particular smacks of conspiracy theory.

That is some pretty faint praise right there. That is like saying brown bears, as man-eating bears go, aren't that bad.

Brown bears aren't man eating... In fact, no bear is. No bear sustains itself on the flesh of man. Ever.

Israel : Of course, I'm not talking about the modern Israel, but the ancient one. Israel gives us a religious power worth being mentionned, as its existence influenced the arts, the culture, and so on. Is there anyone in the world, or at least in the western world, who has not heard of Solomon, David, and their kingdom ? Certainly, Israel was nothong outstanding in the military side. However, Solomon was known for his series of contructions, and we could base Israel on that side (+ the religious of course).

Israel was not only a very minor ancient Kingdom (and would be the most minor ever included in a Civ game if it were included), but it also had no direct effect on culture or arts as such. There was nothing particularly awe inspiring about anything they did, and the only lasting effects they have had are with successor religions such as Christianity and Islam, with Judaism, whilst having it's effect on the world, not being all that major in comparison to the major religions. It is as it stands well represented with a city state and Judaism being in the game. If we are going to include them simply because of their successors, we may as well go for one of their antecessors instead.

The only vaguely decent argument for Israel as such is the cultural effect modern Jewish people have had, but this is quite far removed from the ancient Kingdom and tends more towards modern Israel as well. How this could be done specifically is an interesting question, and I certainly wouldn't oppose it, but it could be quite complicated as such a Civilization should encompass all of their Civilization, not just Ancient and Modern Israel.

Not really sure what kind of UA they would have either. One interesting one could be to do with having them capable of flipping cities that were formerly theirs and being capable to re-emerging from their former cities in some way or another. You'd somehow want to represent the effect they've had on the World as a whole though and ultimately it's hard to see how any Civilization would be: 1) too focussed on modern or ancient Israel and 2) a bit tacky due to being overly reliant on some gimmick (although this could be said for a lot of UAs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom