Bren LMG / 29 Sept 2007

Having done it, I have a pretty good idea why so few do it. My prone was made a touch more complex by the fact that the Bren gun has a carry handle and is not carried in a ready to fire position. I solved that and the repositioning of the gun by having a 2nd invisible guy which I parented the gun to. I moved this fella around insync to the main (visible) guy. Allowed me to more easily switch from firing position to carry position, and so on.

Wow! You definitely went the extra mile for this one! :hatsoff: That's what separates the GREAT unit makers from the rest of us. So far it has my vote for unit of the month!!!!!

Great unit! This unit will be given to many Commonwealth countries in my Cold War mod!

Brilliant unit! Any idea's as to if this fella'd fit for India or Indonesia or some such ?

It would fit for both :)

@Steph: It would fit for anywhere that was in the British Empire or the Commonwealth from about WWII onwards, so South Africa would be a good candidate. It would also fit for Greece :)

@Steph: It would fit for anywhere that was in the British Empire or the Commonwealth from about WWII onwards, so South Africa would be a good candidate. It would also fit for Greece :)
The hat looks good for South Africa, but for Greece it would look strange, wouldn't it?

South Africa definately used the Bren Gun. They also used a slouch hat. I do not know if Greece used a slouch hat or not, but I believe they did use the Bren Gun.

Quinzy,
The uniform would also be a close match for India, Indonesia. I am certain other countries also used this type of hat. Someone mentioned that Germany used it in Africa. I do know that Germany used the LMG that the Bren was copied/modeled after.

Also, just to let you know, there is a minor glitch with the pediaicons. It was first caught by my 7yr old and later by Vuldacon as well. Vuldacon also had a few suggestions for some of the animations, such as having the fella lay there bleeding a bit before he disappears. I have not had much time to look at it since I just got in. But, it sounds interesting. If I like it, I will release it as an alternate death animation along with the fixed icons later tonight.

I got sloppy when making palette for them. There is some magenta and green in the image and so they will not look quite right in the civilopedia. Updated versions will be posted tonight. Sorry fellas, a bit rusty I guess.

That's a very nice unit! He's definitely got real character, which always makes units so much better. The Victory must have been hellish to animate. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that he sounds like a Yorkshireman in the Fidget and an Australian in the Death and Victory, but no doubt strange things happen to people in extremis.

I have to say the smoking barrel after the attack looks very odd to me, because it looks more like a trickle of liquid falling up than like smoke - as if he has a geyser on the end of his gun. Maybe it looks like that in real life, but I think it looks peculiar in-game.

Ok, I have gotten 2 negative comments on the gun smoke. It as close to the real as I could manage it, but I can certainly make a version with out it. Look for it tonight or real soon. Obviously doing this may push back the v1.1 update since I prefer to release all the mentioned optional stuff in a single update.

As for the accent in the fidget... well I got the voices from the same source. Not the same person, though I fiddled with the pitch and cadence for a few hours in Audacity to get it as close as I could manage. It did not sound quite the same, but supposedly from the land of Oz. The other sounds I know are Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin, remixed to sound more like each other and the other unknown vocalist.

You could always link to one of the more generic fidget sounds I suppose.

I found several of the animations a challenge to animate. Some had 400 additional smoke particles to move around. Some had that plus, lights, and so on. Others had multiple actors to work around posing problems. I am reasonably happy with the results, but willing to listen and change a few things.

Just great unit.
Have been looking for this very long.

It fits several nations, but if it would be possible without HUGE problems to make small changes...
The japs used something similar to the Bren and I believe we don´t have any Jap HMG.

Still this is just great to use in companion with the HMG.

Very good unit, I like it and I'll be using it. Just have to find the right A/D values for this guy.

The nice unit in this thread is the Bren. ;)

Anyone an idea for the stats? Good all-rounder perhaps?

The Bren gun, the longest in service machine gun in history. Adopted in 1935, it remained in service in to the 90's and remains in service in the reserves today.

How about the M2HB (also 1935, though the wiki "genius'" say 1932)? Or go to the original version of the gun, the 1919. In it's various forms, it is still in use today.

Other Link

or

Wiki Link

-------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of whichever gun was first, it's still a very cool unit :goodjob:

How about the M2HB (also 1935, though the wiki "genius'" say 1932)? Or go to the original version of the gun, the 1919. In it's various forms, it is still in use today.

Other Link

or

Wiki Link

-------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of whichever gun was first, it's still a very cool unit :goodjob:

You are right. If you include the water cooled variety, the Ma Deuce has it beat by 3 years earlier in service and is in greater use today than the now limited Bren.

I should have said longest serving light or medium machine gun, as the M2 is a HMG crew-served weapon. Of course if you only include the basic rifle form (in other words the heavy barrel version of the m2), it is possible that the Bren would retain the title.

Ares,

Is that a C&P of the Conquests german HMG?

Top Bottom