BTS - Is anyone going to make a mod with units with city names?

Jimdigriz

Prince
I just want a simple mod that names the units from each city under the city they came from (1st London Warrior, 2nd London Warrior etc). Theres been attempts in the past that havent always worked properly...I dont want a massive great big mod with other stuff, just the renaming of individual units. Im right in the middle of a massive Warlords game and I wish I knew who my 'veteran' units were!

If someone could come up with something for BTS Id be very happy!

Since everyone would have a different concept of what a "proper" name for a unit is, I suggest you manually name your units as they are created.

Click on the unit name in the unit box (lower left of screen) and type in the name. If you want to avoid duplicating names (or numbers) you will have to keep your own listing.

The only problem is: What happens when you upgrade the unit? By default, the 1st London Warrior (Warrior) will be upgrade to, say, the 1st London Warrior (Maceman). Unless, of course, you named the units based on combat classification, so you'd have the 1st London Infantry (Warrior) or the 23rd New York Armor (Tank).

I name my ships, but not ground troops.

I would recommend doing it yourself--I don't have the know-how to make a mod like that, so I've gotten into the habit of manual renaming.

This could be interesting if you could have custom flavour random unit names for each civ, say John Smith for England and Li Lin for China etc

When you name the units, the default name for that unit is always given in parentheses after the unit's given name. Thus, you could name your warriors "1st London", "2d London", et seq., and these would appear on the unit as:

"1st London (Warrior)", "2d London (Warrior)", which, after unit upgrades would appear as "1st London (Axeman)", "2d London (Mechanized Infantry)", etc. I think that would accomplish what you wanted without jumping thru too many hoops. You'd still see that, chronologically, these are the oldest units and (hopefully) the most experienced.

When you name the units, the default name for that unit is always given in parentheses after the unit's given name. Thus, you could name your warriors "1st London", "2d London", et seq., and these would appear on the unit as:

"1st London (Warrior)", "2d London (Warrior)", which, after unit upgrades would appear as "1st London (Axeman)", "2d London (Mechanized Infantry)", etc. I think that would accomplish what you wanted without jumping thru too many hoops. You'd still see that, chronologically, these are the oldest units and (hopefully) the most experienced.

Thats exactly what Im after! I cant be the only one I would have thought, especially for epic games it would be interesting to see which units had survived down the ages...and of course you'd be more likely to 'look after' those units - they wouldnt be your Forlorn Hope for instance! :)

Top Bottom