[BTS] Loading Modular Civs for Dummies

Mitchifer

Warlord
Howdy,

I am new to Civ4, and I am trying to load new civs onto the game with no avail. Specifically I'm trying to load modular BtS custom civs (I guess that's the right term).

I've scoured the forums looking for answers but nothing I've tried seems to work, including the plug-and-play guide. :cry:

Can anyone give me a guide on how to load these? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You download the file, then save it to C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods

after you do that, go to My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword and open the Civ4 ini file (open with Notepad or another text editor). Scroll down to where it says:
Modular XML Loading= 0
and change the 0 to a 1
Then load BTS, and go to Advanced--> Load a Mod from the main menu. There, you will find a list of various mods to play. Pick the one you have just downloaded, and there you go!

This is for Civ4 BTS Patch v3.13 and this is how you can do it also to make it work.

You download the file, then save or copy it to C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods

Then load BTS, and go to Advanced--> Load a Mod from the main menu in this case the mod that you save to or copy to C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods. There, you will find a list of various mods to play. Pick the one you have just downloaded, and there you go! Load that mod let it load then stop the mod and close out of the game.

After you do that, go back to C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods and open the mod you downloaded its Civ4 ini file (open with Notepad or another text editor). Scroll down to where it says:
Modular XML Loading= 0 and change the 0 to 1 to look like this Modular XML Loading= 1 save and close.

Then load BTS, and go to Advanced--> Load a Mod from the main menu in this case the mod that you save to or copy, now you can add Modules to this mod. You will need a folder in it call Modules in this mod.

example C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules

Beginning would be the mod and Modules folder would be place in the Assets folder. Then for civs you need one more folder call Custom Civilizations.

Examples

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\Candy
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\Animal_Empire
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\NativeAmerica

Some civs like Confederate States of America and Pyrate Brotherhood and The Republic of Texas are place in the Modules folder

Examples

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Confederate States of America
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Pyrate Brotherhood
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\The Republic of Texas

Examples

And what you can have also in the Modules folder

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning.08\Assets\Modules\Confederate States of America
Custom Buildings
Custom Civilizations
Custom Leaderheads
Custom Units
Custom Wonders
Flags
Pyrate Brotherhood
The Republic of Texas

all of these are folders inside the Modules folder that I have added for myself to Beginning.08 that I made for myself I have not upload this version because I stop documenting where I was getting files from other mods and yes all these add in parts are working for me.

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning.08\Assets\Modules\Confederate States of America
Custom Buildings
Custom Civilizations
Custom Leaderheads
Custom Units
Custom Wonders
Flags
Pyrate Brotherhood
The Republic of Texas

You have excellent taste in mods. :D

You have excellent taste in mods. :D

ahaha HEY, these are ok also, LOL:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\Candy
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\Animal_Empire
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Beginning\Assets\Modules\Custom Civilizations\NativeAmerica

This answers my questions about how to combine units/civs/leaders into one module.

How would I go about adding other XML stuff, ActualQuotes for example, to the mod?

I've modded CivIII some but that was a long time ago and I haven't attempted CivIV yet.

Also, if you wanted to add an additional LH to an existing Civ, how would you do that? Hitler to Germany, for example.

DrJambo - believe so give it a try and let us know :D

On another note. have people been running into an xml loading limit? I broke all my xml stuff into individual files - each leader had a folder with their own xml and sme with each unit, each civilization. I put this on top of Varietas Delectat with modern warfare mod. If I try to start I get that my Windows Vista makes it stop working (I even tried compatibility mod)

I cut down the number of leaderheards to 6 (from 16 and it works) and its not any specific leaderhead. i then put all my leaderheads into History in the Making mod and it loaded fine (I noticed that mod didn't use modular xml as much).

SO I'm concluding that the long load time for several modular files may make my OS think the game stopped responding. ANyone else run into this?

O.K. I have read all of these post. I have fished through many others, yet I still cannot make this work.:mad:

I just got a new PC and it has Vista running on it. It took me several hours of digging to figure out why I could not load any custom mods. Got that fixed.:crazyeye:

Still, I cannot figure out why it will not recognize my custom civs. :confused: They are in the BtS\Modules\Custom Civs folder. And, I have made sure that Modular Loading is indeed 1. However, the game will not recognise any of them.:sad: Yes, they are BtS modular civs in that folder. Please help!:cry:

O.K. I have read all of these post. I have fished through many others, yet I still cannot make this work.:mad:

I just got a new PC and it has Vista running on it. It took me several hours of digging to figure out why I could not load any custom mods. Got that fixed.:crazyeye:

Still, I cannot figure out why it will not recognize my custom civs. :confused: They are in the BtS\Modules\Custom Civs folder. And, I have made sure that Modular Loading is indeed 1. However, the game will not recognise any of them.:sad: Yes, they are BtS modular civs in that folder. Please help!:cry:

I am having this EXACT same problem and I even checked the ini file in both the mod folder AND the custom assets folder. Still nothing and it's very frustrating. I have searched around the website for help, but they all say the exact same simple thing (regarding the .ini), which doesn't work. The directory is proper so I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Did you ever figure it out and get it to work?

Top Bottom