Buffy 005 launched - try it out with 3 new Gauntlets!

Hopefully you manage to fix this eventually (this is one of the veeeeery many reasons I despise steam). If not, it's possible to buy the game (without DRM too) on GOG.com. It works fine then, and I even got Hall of Fame stuff working on Linux. Don't know if there is a sale on it now, and it's hardly ideal to buy a game twice to be able to play it, but it's a workaround of sorts at least :-/

Thanks, but I already bought it twice! I still have the old DvD version, just not a DvD drive installed on my current PC. :lol::cry:

Still no luck, I might try a clean reinstall, or just go and "borrow" a drive from someone else PC in the house. :D

Experience issues installing Buffy with a steam install.

From experience I know i get a ton of possible install location. with the crappy Steam "powerspray" install. From searching "beyond the sword" i get these results:
upload_2020-12-15_21-17-36.png

Had tried everyone but still cannot launch buffy with the ingame loader.
Then I added buffy to my 5th location which was a random /my user/my documents/games folder. The game found buffy... loaded it with the "this buffy cant be used as a HoF game". and the game loaded buffy with no UI like none.

So many weird bugs and problems trying to install with steam. Will take the recomendation @Pangaea and by a GOG Version.
Clean out anything steam realated on my comp.

Maybe I some day can play a game of CIV with buffy loaded properly! after like 6 years of playing this game with that mod!
Really appreciate the game with Buffy but its just so bad that i cant install the mod properly. For some reason my computer skills just freezes when it comes to these kind of issues.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-15_21-15-54.png
    upload_2020-12-15_21-15-54.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 152
Experience issues installing Buffy with a steam install.

Hey Imploding. I'll address some things here and then try to help you with the Steam installation.

First of all, this:

the crappy Steam "powerspray" install.

Is not a "thing". There is no Steam "powerspray" install. With the exception of the "Dropbox" thing, which has nothing to do with Steam or any CIV IV install, those locations are all legitimate for Steam or non-steam.

Document\My Games - Civ IV always has folders installed here - most games do. This is where things like Saves file are located and Custom Assets. Mods are NOT to be installed here even though there is a "Mods' folder.

Steamapps\Common\..... - This is the main location of the CIV IV or BTS installation..well, all Steam main game folders are here. However, note that the main BTS folder actually looks like this :

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword

Note that there are 2 "BTS" folders. A high level and lower level BTS folder. The lower level BTS folder is the Main folder. The higher level folder is there for the Steam version to make BTS standalone, as it contains the vanilla Civ IV assets needed to run BTS (disk and non-Steam versions are different in this regard...Steam version of BTS does not need vanilla CIV IV installed at all..it runs "standalone"). The Mod folder in the lower level BTS folder is where mods would be installed.

Appdata..... - All versions of CIV IV and most any games, or programs really, install some folder here. In case of CIV IV the game cache is located here. You would never touch anything here, except maybe to delete the game cache, and this location has nothing to do with Steam.

Firaxis Games.... - This is not related to Steam or the Steam installation of BTS. The only reason this location likely exists is that in the past you had run a non-Steam version of Civ IV. This location is completely irrelevant to the Steam installation. (you can delete this if you wish and probably would be best. When Civ IV is uninstalled it often leaves these folders in place)

Dropbox - Has nothing to do with Steam or Civ IV. I believe Dropbox is a online file storage website, so my assumption is this location on your machine is used to sync (upload/download) files and folders used with Dropbox. In other words this location can be ignored entirely for the purposes here. My guess is that this location came up in your search as it contains like save files you were storing.

Okay, the Steam installation itself:

The steam install of BTS does require something special that you may not be aware of. A few years ago, Steam created their own "version" of IV when the Gamespy MP servers closed, to incorporate their own MP service. Problem is that they changed some of the game assets, which conflicted with a lot of BTS mods. Most mods simply don't run properly or at all with that version. Steam fixed this by creating a "Beta - original" release version, to revert the game back to the original assets. A step must be performed in Steam to activate this version, as follows.

1) Right click on BTS in your Steam Library
2) Go to Properties
3) Go to Betas tab
4) from the drop down list select "Original Release - Unsupported".
5) Steam will basically reinstall the game to that version.

However, I might suggest that before you do this step, do a clean install of BTS. Uninstall the game, and then completely delete all the folders you listed above, although Dropbox is irrelevant so does not matter what you do with that. I recommend this in case something odd had been changed by you for whatever reason, and the fact that there are remnants of a prior non-steam installation. Just wipe clean. Oh..to clarify..just delete the Civ IV or BTS related folders. Don't delete AppData or My Documents themselves. That Firaxis folder can be delete entirely though.

Also, a couple of other important things once you have BTS installed properly.

1) Always run BTS from the executable. Never from the Steam library. In other words, run the game like you would before you used the Steam version. You may already do it this way anyway.

2) If on Win 10, set compatibility mode to Win 7. This seems to be the best mode to run the game. If you don't know how to do this, right-click on the main BTS exe > Properties > Compatibility > check "Run this game in Compatibility Mode for" > select Win 7 from the drop down. Also, on this tab check "Run as Adminstrator", which is actually quite important.

3) For BUFFY you need to make sure you perform Steps 1 and 2 from the Vista Fixes page on the HOF site here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

This step is essential for any version of BTS (steam or non-steam) to get past those HOF error messages.

Lastly, I like to create shortcuts to run mods. You can do this by right-clicking the main BTS exe and select create shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and click in the "Target" field. Press the END key on your keyboard so the cursor moves to the end of the text there. Press space bar once for a space and then paste in the following text:

mod="BUFFY-3.19.005"

click OK button to exit.

Rename your short cut by adding something like BUFFY to the end to identify it. Now you simply use the shortcut to load BTS and BUFFY at the same time. Viola!

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

edit: Just to be clear, as I don't think I was explicit above, BUFFY or any standalone mod would be installed in the Mod folder here:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword

Last edited:
@lymond I Followed your instructions!
The run as admin.. like the "really admin" step is the one I must have missed that. on my previous attempts.
upload_2020-12-16_21-46-2.png

The win 10 looks a bit different on your toutorial but I think i managed to get I proper.
I think the buffy mod is correctly installed.:lol:

BUT....

I experienced 1 big whopsie.. I get a weird bug. the "loading screen" wont disapear..?:crazyeye::crazyeye:
The loading screen also set itself on the TOP layer. so I cant just have it in the background. So the game is unplayable like this..

You have any idea about what to do here? Sould i just delete everything and repeat the prosess?

upload_2020-12-16_21-42-17.png

And a minor issue.. I cant get the shortcut to work properly.

Lastly, I like to create shortcuts to run mods. You can do this by right-clicking the main BTS exe and select create shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and click in the "Target" field. Press the END key on your keyboard so the cursor moves to the end of the text there. Press space bar once for a space and then paste in the following text:
mod="BUFFY-3.19.005"

I did this:
upload_2020-12-16_21-51-21.png

And i get this this error message.
upload_2020-12-16_21-36-24.png

I have tested a bunch of variations with " " / or mods mod
From the toturial page it actually states variations between the text and the picture?

upload_2020-12-16_21-49-20.png

Again I really appreciate your help! :)

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-16_21-37-37.png
    upload_2020-12-16_21-37-37.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 155
  • upload_2020-12-16_21-38-45.png
    upload_2020-12-16_21-38-45.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 153
  • upload_2020-12-16_21-48-50.png
    upload_2020-12-16_21-48-50.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 146
  • upload_2020-12-16_21-50-35.png
    upload_2020-12-16_21-50-35.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
yep yep...I have that same issue. Simple fix is to add another letter before "BUFFY". Like:

mod="BBUFFY-3.19.005"

No clue why this happens, but it does appear to be a Steam thing. I basically stumbled into the workaround the same way as you were just trying to do...ha...simply trying anything until it worked. (However, it seemed clear to me from the error that the game was cutting off a letter there trying to read the target field for some reason, so it did not take me long to figure out a workaround. My thinking is the extra letter simply fills that void that is missing such that the game will read the fully quoted text. A space there works just as well.)

Running in compatibility mode as "Windows 7", as I had instructed above, should remove the splash screen. This is a known issue.

This was just posted, interestingly, a few days ago in the thread just below this one.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/tech-help.663899/#post-15976140

edit: note that the guy talks about the splash screen about 2:30 into the video, you can ignore the stuff he talks about before that as it is irrelevant. Really just posting that to affirm what I already advised.

Also, note that this splash screen issue is not a Steam thing. More simply an OS + old game thing I think, but I have never experienced it myself. Granted I've run IV in Win7 mode for some years now anyway.

Last edited:
That worked!
I did something in-between your instruction and the official buffy install guide.:crazyeye:

Regarding shortcuts I did a couple attempts and variations.. didn't work.. So I just bypassed it and went to CivilizationIV and did the "Mod = Mods\BUFFY-3.19.005" thing.
Everything works perfect now!

Again thank you that was amazing support! I really appreciate it! :)

Regarding shortcuts I did a couple attempts and variations.. didn't work.. So I just bypassed it and went to CivilizationIV and did the "Mod = Mods\BUFFY-3.19.005" thing.
Everything works perfect now!

Again thank you that was amazing support! I really appreciate it! :)

You are very welcome :D

I assume you meant the config file. If you basically only play the game with BUFFY then that is fine. However, the shortcut really should work if setup as I instructed. You might try again using a fresh shortcut and adding the text I mentioned above exactly, after adding a space at the end of the target line.

I get this message: Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will NOT be valid ....
Click OK to continue if you DO NOT wish to submit

I get this message: Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will NOT be valid ....
Click OK to continue if you DO NOT wish to submit

First step is to perform the fixes in Step 1 and 2 here:

HOF Vista fixes

If that does not resolve the issue, and it should, we need more information like where you got your copy of IV.

Thank you for your help. I followed both sets of instructions, first the whole folder, that got the same error, The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings.... Then I did the individual folders in the mod, including the mod folder. No change
I did the compatibility changes for all the exe files as well, no change
I am using a disk version of the game that I bought a long time ago.

Thank you for your help. I followed both sets of instructions, first the whole folder, that got the same error, The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings.... Then I did the individual folders in the mod, including the mod folder. No change
I did the compatibility changes for all the exe files as well, no change
I am using a disk version of the game that I bought a long time ago.

Did you do the "Read-Only" thing to the folder in My Documents as well. That is usually the kicker.

Also, your game is patched, right? What does it say in "About this Build" under the main menu.

I am playing with Buffy, but there are many things I don't understand. Is there a graphic that explains all the symbols in the score overlay? For instance, there is a red or green number, minus or plus, just right of the score. To the right of that is a star, but most of the time is blank and there are other symbols. One player's name has a dot before it, the others do not. Is there such an explanatory image?

Attachments

• score section.png
    score section.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 125
The dot appears if a civ has become a vassal of another civ. In this case Babylon is a vassal of Byzantine. The star is sort of the inverse, that Byzantine has a vassal.

The +/- numbers just means that the base score has changed from one turn to the next. For example, if you trade some techs, the score will increase a little, and the numbers change.

The number at the very back is the amount of cities.

The fist means that the civ is plotting war.

The red-looking person (right to the fist in this case), means you are the worst enemy of that civ. Could mean that Byzantine (and its vassal) is plotting war on you.

Is there such an explanatory image?
Pangaea did a great job answering your question. However, I would note that there is a BUG help tool in the BUFFY folder. Go to Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUFFY-3.19.005. Open the "Info" folder. Click on BUG Mod Help - ENG. Find "Advanced Scoreboard".

On that screen you will find a listing of the codes used to customize the scoreboard and their corresponding description. Those descriptions will basically explain the layout of the scoreboard. The scoreboard is customizable(add/remove/reorder) but I've never bothered with that myself.

I'd love to play with 005 but the allowed :culture: exploit is just necessary, please re-add it towards 004 and 005.
Sorry I have no idea what you mean here, you seem to be asking us to add an exploit back in??

Think he means the ability to build culture, that also overflowed hammers into a unit in the same turn, once culture expanded borders (think that was how it worked in earlier BUFFYs).

From what I recall, it has been stated earlier that there won't be another BUFFY (or it's extremely unlikely), because the source code has been lost or something along those lines. Or some of the people with most knowledge about the project have left. I know @Lemon Merchant was part of it, maybe it was she who fixed BUFFY .005? So most likely there won't be another BUFFY (and I don't think that exploit should be re-added anyway).

Top Bottom