Bug Reports and Discussion

This seems to be intended. Is it a big problem?
Well, it means some religions might never get founded, if the founding wonder is build it worldbuilder.

I decided to add some python code to make those wonders add the religion/set the holy city each turn to make sure ti does not happen, but running it like that could be a bit inefficient.
Looks like memory corruption, which is unfortunately very hard to fix. Does it happen when you load MagisterModMod, or at the start of a game (in the sense of "Play Now")?
Normally it happens when loading the mod, but I've seen it when starting a new custom game or loading saves too. In my current game it happened when Auric Ulvin entered the game at the completion of the White Hand ritual. I got an assert showing a problem with Auric's leaderhead art file, and then when Auric tried to contact me the game crashed. Fortunately I had a save from right before the ritual was completed. When I loaded that to try again I did not have any issues.

Are you not also able to add/found that religion via worldbuilder as well? Using worldbuilder for something like that seems like a fairly trivial edge case scenario especially if you can use it to add/found the religion as well, if not then I can see that being an issue. If the religion can't be added/founded via worldbuilder then a workaround should be available by using great engineers/slaves to hurry it. It would require a turn to work of course but I can't think of a reason it would not work.

One of the tooltips on the splashscreen says Blight damages "all units". Shouldn't that be changed to "all living units"?

Last edited:
I just had another crash to desktop where I tried to make a dump file to analyze, but this time the dump file was 0 kb and unreadable.

However, it did leave this in PythonErr.log
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugGameUtils", line 343, in callHandler
Error in sys.excepthook:
  File "CvUtil", line 168, in myExceptHook
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 142, in format_exception
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 76, in format_tb
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 101, in extract_tb
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 14, in getline
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 40, in getlines
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 85, in updatecache
  File "CvGameInterface", line 98, in unitCannotMoveInto
  File "BugGameUtils", line 367, in __call__
  File "BugGameUtils", line 345, in callHandler
  File "BugUtil", line 252, in trace
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 212, in print_exc
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 125, in print_exception
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\traceback.py", line 69, in print_tb
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 14, in getline
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 40, in getlines
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\linecache.py", line 85, in updatecache
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\ntpath.py", line 67, in join
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\ntpath.py", line 53, in isabs
  File "e:/main/civilization4/warlords/assets/python/system\ntpath.py", line 119, in splitdrive
MemoryError
:
Stack overflow
It looks as if the BUG mod components are trying to access files in the Warlords Civ4 expansion folder on the E drive, even though I do not have an E drive.

When I went looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\Python\System I found the files were not .py but rather .pyc, and was unable to make much sense out of the characters used in he compiled python files.

I did make one change to def unitCannotMoveInto(self,argsList): yesterday, but don't see how it would matter that I changed this
Code:
                   if pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_SHRINE_OF_ARAWN')):
                       if pUnit.getRace() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_UNDEAD'):
                           if pUnit.getLevel() < cf.getNumSupplimentalManaPlayer(pCity.getOwner(), gc.getInfoTypeForString('BONUS_MANA_DEATH')) +  3*pCity.getNumBonuses(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BONUS_MANA_DEATH')):
                               return True
to this
Code:
                   if pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_TOMB_OF_ARAWN')):
                       if pUnit.getRace() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_UNDEAD'):
                           return True

(I found that theSidar having the Shrine of Arawn building as a Pagan Temple UB was causing them to found and spread the Eternal Cabal way too early and too quickly in all of their games, so I removed that UB. I instead let the Sidar Shades and Ghosts found Reliquaries, which in my unreleased modmod has been changed to the normal Eternal Cabal temple instead of an Elohim UB. I introduced a new Tomb of Arawn wonder, which is basically an improved version of my old Shrine of Arawn, that anyone could build to found the religion. While the Shrine of Arawn made the city impassible to Undead units depending on the unit's level and the city owner's supply of death mana, I decided to simplify things and make the Tomb of Arawn impassible to all Undead units regardless since it would only apply to a single city. I also eliminated the Sidar's Tower of Mortality UB of the Tower of Necromancy, or rather transformed it into the new Soul Shroud UB to replace the Soul Forge.)

edit:Another dump without a getTeamIncl
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.22415.1002 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\jonmi_r2m\AppData\Local\Temp\Civ4BeyondSword.exe.dmp]
User Mini Dump File with Full Memory: Only application data is available

************* Path validation summary **************
Response                         Time (ms)     Location
Deferred                                       srv*
Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is:
Windows 8 Version 9200 MP (4 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Wed Aug 18 18:14:48.000 2021 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 2 days 4:52:54.522
Process Uptime: 0 days 1:18:24.000
Loading unloaded module list
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(2404.2db8): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v
eax=00000000 ebx=8118b258 ecx=00000000 edx=00ae9654 esi=8118b230 edi=8118b288
eip=77cb38dc esp=0019e850 ebp=0019e85c iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz ac pe nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00000216
ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0xc:
77cb38dc c20800          ret     8
0:000> !analyze -v
*                        Exception Analysis                                   *

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for Mss32.dll
DEBUG_FLR_EXCEPTION_CODE(c0000374) and the ".exr -1" ExceptionCode(c0000005) don't match

KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1

Key  : AV.Dereference
    Value: NullPtr

Key  : AV.Fault
    Value: Read

Key  : Analysis.CPU.mSec
    Value: 5718

Key  : Analysis.DebugAnalysisManager
    Value: Create

Key  : Analysis.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 11116

Key  : Analysis.Init.CPU.mSec
    Value: 749

Key  : Analysis.Init.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 43488

Key  : Analysis.Memory.CommitPeak.Mb
    Value: 84

Key  : Timeline.OS.Boot.DeltaSec
    Value: 190374

Key  : Timeline.Process.Start.DeltaSec
    Value: 4704

Key  : WER.Process.Version
    Value: 3.1.9.0

NTGLOBALFLAG:  0

PROCESS_BAM_CURRENT_THROTTLED: 0

PROCESS_BAM_PREVIOUS_THROTTLED: 0

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS:  0

CONTEXT:  (.ecxr)
eax=00be6274 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00ae9654 esi=00000000 edi=00000000
eip=004d7dd4 esp=0019f9fc ebp=51215238 iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na po nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010202
Civ4BeyondSword+0xd7dd4:
004d7dd4 8b01            mov     eax,dword ptr [ecx]  ds:002b:00000000=????????
Resetting default scope

EXCEPTION_RECORD:  (.exr -1)
ExceptionAddress: 004d7dd4 (Civ4BeyondSword+0x000d7dd4)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
   Parameter[0]: 00000000
   Parameter[1]: 00000000
Attempt to read from address 00000000

PROCESS_NAME:  Civ4BeyondSword.exe

READ_ADDRESS:  00000000

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s.

EXCEPTION_CODE_STR:  c0000005

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1:  00000000

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER2:  00000000

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:  Followup set based on attribute [Is_ChosenCrashFollowupThread] from Frame:[0] on thread:[PSEUDO_THREAD]

FAULTING_THREAD:  ffffffff

STACK_TEXT: 
00000000 00000000 heap_corruption!Civ4BeyondSword.exe+0x0

STACK_COMMAND:  !heap ; ** Pseudo Context ** ManagedPseudo ** Value: ffffffff ** ; kb

SYMBOL_NAME:  heap_corruption!Civ4BeyondSword.exe

MODULE_NAME: heap_corruption

IMAGE_NAME:  heap_corruption

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  NULL_POINTER_READ_ACTIONABLE_InvalidArgument_c0000005_heap_corruption!Civ4BeyondSword.exe

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x86

OSNAME:  Windows 8

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {3c505357-8483-36f3-c781-a6008c5fa72e}

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------

Last edited:
Is Warlords installed on your computer? I have the same files as you do it seems even though I've never actually told steam to install Warlords though I do own it. Is it possible that Warlords just happens to have a
"BUILDING_TOMB_OF_ARAWN" in it and it's somehow trying to reference that instead of your custom version?

Using 2.71

Is it just me or is the "challenge - increasing difficulty" not working correctly? Says difficulty is increased every 50 turns, but in current game first increase happended at turn 75.

Last edited:
Using 2.71

Is it just me or is the "challenge - increasing difficulty" not working correctly? Says difficulty is increased every 50 turns, but in current game first increase happended at turn 75.
Game speed is absolutely affecting it.

I'm sure this isn't so much a real bug as user error, but I fired up Fall from Heaven again for the first time in years and wanted to try the modmod since everyone seems to think it's good. So I used the first steps from the fall from heaven wiki page https://fallfromheaven.fandom.com/wiki/ModMods#More_Naval_AI and simply downloaded MNAI 2-71, and unzipped it in the assets folder of the FFh2 mod, replacing any duplicate files.

When I went to test it, I could now load a new mod (More naval AI) as well as the original FFH2 mod. Doing the former yields an immediate CTD bug, with a message of "GFC Error: Failed to Initialize the primary control theme". Attempting to load the original FFH2 mod will load up all right, but when I try to start a game, I get another CTD, with a generic "Civ 4 beyond the Sword has stopped working" message. Like I said, I'm sure this is me installing it wrong, but can anyone offer any advice?

Steps 4 and 5 on the fandom wiki are out of date. If you want Tholal's MNAI 2.71, you should only follow steps 1-3. If you want my MNAI-U, then try the installer (follow the instructions there). Do not first install Tholal's 2.71 into the FfH folder and then use the installer, that might lead to problems.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am now trying the MNAI-U version 2.9, but I get a new error when attempting to run the exe. It reads "An error occurred while trying to read the source file: the source file "F;\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\*" does not exist.

I do have Steam, and a fairly extensive Steam library, but I used my ancient Civ4 CDs to reinstall Civ 4 and downloaded FFH2 from the net, so my Civ 4 is not connected to steam. I'm guessing the installer can't figure that out. Will I need to get CIv4 on steam as well, or is there a workaround?

Reinstalled and tried the 2.9u.exe installer. Same problem. Then tried the Version 2.9-beta3u version and manually installed it over a MNAI folder. Seems to work, although I haven't given it an extensive play time. Thank you very much for the help :)

I had a saved game with repeatable crash, but I think I accidentally wrote over it. This was with a version of my modmod that was probably incompatible with my last uploaded version anyway.

The game would close without any warning when using the normal dll. When I switched back to the assert DLL, I got this before the crash:

Code:
Assert Failed
File:  CvUnit.cpp
Line:  14129
Expression:  pTransportUnit->cargoSpaceAvailable(getSpecialUnitType(), getDomainType()) > 0
----------------------------------------------------------

I looked in world builder and found that the only units I thought would be able to have cargo were two Calabim galleys. When I deleted those galleys, I was able to keep playing without any issue for 2 hundred more turns.

Question: Is it normal for the AI to spam cottages no matter the situation or it's choice of civics? I've seen the AI neglect all other improvements in place of cottages even when they have the aristograrian combo going.
Where does one edit the AI's preferences for building improvements anyway?

Question: Is it normal for the AI to spam cottages no matter the situation or it's choice of civics? I've seen the AI neglect all other improvements in place of cottages even when they have the aristograrian combo going.
Where does one edit the AI's preferences for building improvements anyway?
You might want to try the unofficial build currently being maintained by LFGR. I don't know if same situation would pop up or not but I am pretty certain that he's made a couple of changes to the AI for this kind of stuff. Tholal, the original author of this modmod, hasn't been around for a couple of years now. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mnai-u-unofficial-build-bugfixes.645898/

Issue finding games on Steam, version 2.9.2-1U:
Downloaded and installed on three separate machines, ensured identical installations (created MNAI folder, copied FFH2 folder contents into MNAI folder, downloaded installer and installed MNAI). Cannot see games in internet lobby; unloading mod and loading base FFH2 does display games in internet lobby.

Top Bottom