Building a wonder multiple times for failgold?!

migr8r

Chieftain
Somewhere on these forums I once read something about building a wonder multiple times for massive failgold. How does this work? As far as I can tell I can only build a wonder at one place at any time.

You can only build a wonder at one place at one time. To build it in a second city for fail gold, you have to cancel it by removing it from the build queue of the other city.

I would recommend you read Rhino's Failure Economy game for a good idea.

Yes you can only have something in 1 build queue at a time but the idea is to either slow-build the wonder in one city (preferably whilst owning the resource that speeds it up) or to be using whip overflow. Build a normal unit/building, whip it when the time is right and put the failwonder next in the queue. Next turn, unit/building is complete and the wonder gets the overflow hammers. Remove the wonder from the queue and repeat with the next city that's due a whipping.

T'is my understanding anyway.

You can generate a lot of gold this way.

Generally, I've found that I do better by continuing to expand. I sometimes have one city dedicated to failure gold, but it's a bit on an investment, since you can't predict when (or if) the AI will ever complete a wonder.

it's a little more interesting a technique to apply to national wonders - in particular, Hermitage, in a game where you don't really need to build it anywhere.

You can generate a lot of gold this way.

Generally, I've found that I do better by continuing to expand. I sometimes have one city dedicated to failure gold, but it's a bit on an investment, since you can't predict when (or if) the AI will ever complete a wonder.

it's a little more interesting a technique to apply to national wonders - in particular, Hermitage, in a game where you don't really need to build it anywhere.

If you don't need the hermitage then you are wasting all the hammers in whichever city you do finally complete it in. National and Heroic epics are good because you are going to want these completed in a city eventually.

I would recommend you read Rhino's Failure Economy game for a good idea.

Yes you can only have something in 1 build queue at a time but the idea is to either slow-build the wonder in one city (preferably whilst owning the resource that speeds it up) or to be using whip overflow. Build a normal unit/building, whip it when the time is right and put the failwonder next in the queue. Next turn, unit/building is complete and the wonder gets the overflow hammers. Remove the wonder from the queue and repeat with the next city that's due a whipping.

T'is my understanding anyway.

Thx for the link. Read that this trick doesn't work in BTS anymore so I guess that settles it.

Still, thx to everyone for your replies :goodjob:

The one problem is that you have to wait for someone else to actually build the wonder to collect the gold. So, there will be some uncertainty as to when you will collect the gold. You can do the same thing with National wonders.

Thx for the link. Read that this trick doesn't work in BTS anymore so I guess that settles it.

Still, thx to everyone for your replies :goodjob:

It makes me feel so cool to see people referencing my games. Thanks guys.

Failgold still works. I use it all the time. What you are thinking of is overflow gold, where you can grossly overflow the production of the unit or building, and convert the extra hammers directly to gold. It was broken, and it was removed. But failgold still works.

As dirtyparrot points out, you never know when the failgold will come. The key is to have enough money in the bank to last for 10 turns. If you start to run out of cash, slow your burn rate, either by building wealth or adjusting the slider. It's much less painful to make a small cut early than to grind your economy to a halt the turn before you run out of money.

Good luck.

@Seraiel
Didn't know it existed until now! Thanks for sharing though - I like having more to read.

If you don't need the hermitage then you are wasting all the hammers in whichever city you do finally complete it in. National and Heroic epics are good because you are going to want these completed in a city eventually.

True - but then, I'd never do that with national or heroic epic, because I really want those wonders. If I have marble and almost build hermitage in 4 locations, I come out ahead on the exchange.

It beats building wealth hands down. Marigolds thread isn't even complete since it doesn't take into account bureau, which adds another 50%, for a total 225% bonus, which is mind boggelingly awesome. HE/NE moneygrabbing is very, very good.

Failed gold is good if there are no other pressing needs to be built by the cities and you have the hammer multiplier for that Wonder. The best use of wonder failed gold is to build a wonder in a city while there is nothing better to build for that city. Let just say you are waiting for Writing to come in and you have all the units and you need for the moment and want to let the city to grow. It would be preferable to let the city grow building a library but not available yet and you just happened to have stone and it is quaried. Building the SH untill writing is in a city will let the city grow and build failed gold. Pre currency in similar situations this is a good way to secure some gold, but only while there is nothing more significant need building.

Now if you are doing this as a style of play to make gold, I feel that you are not doing something else correct or playing some sort of handicap challenge for the fun of it. Playing with handicaps is fun and challenging while the other should be corrected. All I am saying is wonder failgold is a smart play as long as the rest of your game is not hurt by it.

Top Bottom