Building road to city state, not worth it?

Namel

Chieftain
I got mission to build road to city state. Am I right that I get nothing except little better relations and for that I will be paying cost of roads forever? So it is actually lot cheaper to just give them cash.

Do you pay maintenance costs for roads outside your borders? Inside someone else's borders?

If you get the quest to build a road to a city-state then just build the road then after you get the +influence you can remove it.

If it is not too far you could build the road. They are not going to have another mission for you to do until that one is finished. After you build the road you could just have that worker undo it on the way back to your territory.

You do pay for maintenance on your roads outside your territory.

i had this mission (request)

i never completed but i was wondering, if i had built the road from a nearby city connected via harbor, would it of worked?

So if you had open borders with the AI and spare workers, would covering their land in roads be a good strategy to increase their maintenance costs?

You cannot build roads in an opponent's territory. You pay for your roads inside your territory and the roads you build in neutral territory. If your opponent's territory suddenly engulfs the roads you built in neutral territory, then they start paying for those roads instead (only the ones they just engulfed).

You cannot build roads in an opponent's territory. You pay for your roads inside your territory and the roads you build in neutral territory. If your opponent's territory suddenly engulfs the roads you built in neutral territory, then they start paying for those roads instead (only the ones they just engulfed).

I have built roads inside a rival civilization's territory before. On my first game, before I realized there were no foreign trade routes, I built a road to two of my opponents' borders and then finished it for them one tile inside their territory. I never bothered to check whether I was paying maintenance for them, but I'm guessing not.

I have built roads inside a rival civilization's territory before. On my first game, before I realized there were no foreign trade routes, I built a road to two of my opponents' borders and then finished it for them one tile inside their territory. I never bothered to check whether I was paying maintenance for them, but I'm guessing not.

That's odd... It wouldn't let me build roads in another's territory. Maybe this was before it got patched, or maybe after? Now that I think about it, you'd have to be able to build roads in another's territory in order to do that city state quest that has you build a road connecting your capital to their's. Maybe it just applies to city states?

i had this mission (request)

i never completed but i was wondering, if i had built the road from a nearby city connected via harbor, would it of worked?

Yes. This is a great mission if you don't have the cash, and even if you do. Don't forget that CS radius may expand and engulf your roads, and also that roads speed the troops. In fact allied CS may be a great point for forking redundant roads for military purposes, since most of the maintenance won't be paid for you.

Another thing not so obvious: Rail road bonus also apply if you connect a city to a connected harbor city. But I don't think it applies to the harbor city itself. Go figure.

Only workers can, they have a remove road ability. :rolleyes: Apparently your maintenance workers stay fix potholes on pillaged roads.

I believe Legions (Roman UU) can as well. If you're just razing on your path of doom, might as well save the maintenance by destroying the road you just build to speed you along your way.

Top Bottom