Bulb Feudalism

Not true...the human player using Vassalage has a far different effect from the AI using it. The target AI may not have enough unit quantity or corrent unit placement/movement to compensate for human advantages. Furthermore, the target AI will not necessarily have Feudalism, even though the human and a few other AIs may have it.

Waiting for any AI to have Fuedalism greatly increases the chances of the target having it.

As for vassalage. for Longbows it pretty much means CG2 in the hands of an AI

you get gold if you have more overflow than your city output per turn.
So if you're protective and have stone, you can very easily have a huge pile of overflow from a wall.

So if my city only had 1H (or was currently working 1 hammer) and I was pro with stone/math/OR/forge/GA etc, I would get a ton of gold from a chop?

Thats very interesting.

So if my city only had 1H (or was currently working 1 hammer) and I was pro with stone/math/OR/forge/GA etc, I would get a ton of gold from a chop?

Thats very interesting.

You could. They key is you do everything at once. There's strategy articles detailing it, but the general strategy is you whip it for maximum overflow, AND chop a forest or 2 at the same time. If you're protective with stone, you get 3 for 1. So, normal speed, even not counting a forge/OR, but with math, you have:

Walls cost 50 hammers. Even putting 1 hammer into it, whip it for 1 pop, and chop 2 forests at the same time.

On your off-turn, you're basically at about 180/50. 50/3 gets carried over to your next build, and the other 80 is pure gold. If you happened to be at 49/50, then basically the full 90 hammers from the whip/chops (minus some carry-over) gets converted to gold (could be 200+ gold). And that early, 200 gold can make a difference. (Again, this isn't even using a forge or OR).

You can also use bad filler cities with lots of forest in the Tundra! Just time it so you are at 3 pop with your wall at 1 turn to completion then que above it granary or something else your have already built to 1 turn from completion. Then use 6-8 workers who have been prechopping 6-8 forest. Whip your granary. Next turn the overflow goes into your wall which is almost already finished. The following turn whip the wall and chop 6-8 forest. If you have stone you will gain 800-1000 Gold.

If you plan ahead well enough you can do that with 1-2 really bad filler cities and as soon as you get your gold GIFT them to some dumb AI and enjoy researching at 100% for the next Eon - or upgrading units for a predetermined and sneaky gold abuse War.

...the overflow goes into your wall... you will gain 800-1000 Gold.

If you plan ahead well enough you can do that with 1-2 really bad filler cities and as soon as you get your gold GIFT them to some dumb AI and enjoy researching at 100% for the next Eon - or upgrading units for a predetermined and sneaky gold abuse War.

that has to be considered an exploit.

why don't you try machinery instead? Seems a lot easier to me. Though, they will "only" get 8XP though. However, if you build the oracle, slingshot metal casting, slowtech machinery, in the meantime, wait for a prophet (should be ezpz with the oracle+phil) and pop theocracy with it, you have combat 3 crossbows. Only problem is, they aren't much stronger then CR1 swords on offense :D.

Z0wb13-

The wall/gold/exploit is a great way to leverage an otherwise unspectacular trait. If you use protective right you can turn it into an "economic" trait. If you happen to be playing as Giglamish then you have a new found "economic" trait with Ziggies too ^^. Pretty sexy when a protective leader has the ability to out Tech and out Rex a "financial" or "organized" leader ^^. Then with all the land you have exploited yourself into you can become a gunpowder nightmare as you draft draft draft the world away. Protective can really shine!

That's like saying building a Wonder to get Failure Gold is an exploit. Those chops and whips are producing gold, but they're by that very token not going to Infrastructure/Troops. What could you build with all the whip/chops that got converted into gold instead?

why don't you try machinery instead? Seems a lot easier to me. Though, they will "only" get 8XP though. However, if you build the oracle, slingshot metal casting, slowtech machinery, in the meantime, wait for a prophet (should be ezpz with the oracle+phil) and pop theocracy with it, you have combat 3 crossbows. Only problem is, they aren't much stronger then CR1 swords on offense :D.

Actually if you really want to maximize your advantage with SB's x-bows they will have 5xp not 8xp. In an earlier post within this thread i gave a brief sketch on how to do go about it.
The couple times I have done it, I have had better success with either D1Cover or D1C1Cover instead of the combat line. If the enemy has HA's then D1C1Cover is your best bet.
Against archers they are about the same asswords and a little worse vs HA's. But there are usually axes defending as well. Even if the axes have cover promotions the x-bows beat the heck out of them. Especially after a few battles and they are D3...then D4.
X-bows cost 50% more than swords but you lose far fewer of them. And since you took MC with the Oracle you get a 25% hammer boost.

That's like saying building a Wonder to get Failure Gold is an exploit. Those chops and whips are producing gold, but they're by that very token not going to Infrastructure/Troops. What could you build with all the whip/chops that got converted into gold instead?

see, i don't think that wonder failure is an exploit because you could have just been building :gold: with that city and would have had similar results. and when you fail a wonder, the game is going to compensate you either way, whether you were trying to cheese it or of you really wanted that wonder.

i think that the wall trick is an exploit because, in a normal game, you wouldn't ever need to whip 2 pop when at the same time you have just chopped 4 forests. or however it's done. i tried it, and you really do get a boatload of :gold:, but it doesn't sit right with me. and the game can't stop you from doing it, even though protective is clearly not supposed to be a commercial trait.

@ pianoman1242: i'm not talking about gifting cities. i'm talking about the wall cheat. sometimes, you do need to gift or colonize an unproductive city.

protective, and i know this is off thread, but protective isn't the god-awful trait that everyone makes it out to be. if gunpowder gets drill 1 for free, you can run a barracks, +3xp, war civic, +2xp, west point, +4xp, and a great general, +2xp, and just crank drill 4 gunpowder units. those are stupid-powerful units, like lennie.

see, i don't think that wonder failure is an exploit because you could have just been building :gold: with that city and would have had similar results. and when you fail a wonder, the game is going to compensate you either way, whether you were trying to cheese it or of you really wanted that wonder.

i think that the wall trick is an exploit because, in a normal game, you wouldn't ever need to whip 2 pop when at the same time you have just chopped 4 forests. or however it's done. i tried it, and you really do get a boatload of :gold:, but it doesn't sit right with me. and the game can't stop you from doing it, even though protective is clearly not supposed to be a commercial trait.

@ pianoman1242: i'm not talking about gifting cities. i'm talking about the wall cheat. sometimes, you do need to gift or colonize an unproductive city.

protective, and i know this is off thread, but protective isn't the god-awful trait that everyone makes it out to be. if gunpowder gets drill 1 for free, you can run a barracks, +3xp, war civic, +2xp, west point, +4xp, and a great general, +2xp, and just crank drill 4 gunpowder units. those are stupid-powerful units, like lennie.

A. If you have the resource for a wonder you get double the gold that you would if you were building wealth.

B. The game is filled with exploits that human players use all the time. I don't think any AI is allowed to DOW at Friendly and many cannot at Pleased. But :backstab: is an accepted strategy for the human player. The AI does not know how to deal with a "choke", but this is considered a perfectly legit strategy. Same with worker stealing. There are more but you get the idea.

You can also use bad filler cities with lots of forest in the Tundra! Just time it so you are at 3 pop with your wall at 1 turn to completion then que above it granary or something else your have already built to 1 turn from completion. Then use 6-8 workers who have been prechopping 6-8 forest. Whip your granary. Next turn the overflow goes into your wall which is almost already finished. The following turn whip the wall and chop 6-8 forest. If you have stone you will gain 800-1000 Gold.

The AI has often declined my requests for those cities. Thus, it was wasted maintenance for me. :mad:

Top Bottom