Bush poll numbers plummeting; Kerry beats Bush 53-42

titansfan216

Chieftain
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37340-2004Feb12.html

Now not only do people disapprove of Bush on domestic issues, but on foreign policy issues as well.

Most Americans believe President Bush either lied or deliberately exaggerated evidence that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction in order to justify war, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Barely half -- 52 percent -- now believe Bush is "honest and trustworthy," down seven points since late October and his worst showing since the question was first asked in March 1999. At his best, in the summer of 2002, Bush was viewed as honest by 71 percent. The survey found that while nearly seven in 10 think Bush "honestly believed" Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, 54 percent thought Bush exaggerated or lied about pre-war intelligence.

Fifty percent of Americans approve of the job he is doing, the lowest level of his presidency in the Post-ABC poll and down 8 percentage points from January. The survey found that, for the first time since the war ended, fewer than half of Americans -- 48 percent -- believe the war was worth fighting, down 8 points from last month. Fifty percent said the war was not worth it.

In a head-to-head matchup, Kerry beat Bush, 52 percent to 43 percent, among registered voters polled by the Post.

In a sign that Bush has been set back by recent controversies over Iraqi weapons, his National Guard record and the federal budget, the number of Americans viewing him as a "strong leader" has slipped to 61 percent, down 6 points from December and the lowest level since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Bush's rating on handling the economy stood at 44 percent, down 7 percentage points, with nearly half of the public saying they are worse off now than they were three years ago when Bush became president. Six in 10 disapprove of the job Bush is doing creating jobs. On education, 47 percent said they approve of the job Bush is doing, down 8 points from January. And his handling of health care also has fallen.

But the president's declining ratings related to Iraq were most striking. Approval of his handling of the situation there has fallen to 47 percent, down eight points in the past three weeks. About half of Americans -- 51 percent -- said they would prefer a report evaluating the accuracy and use of pre-war intelligence before the election, while 35 percent favor what Bush has ordered: a broader study of the overall accuracy of U.S. intelligence gathering operations that reports its findings after the election.

Three in four Democrats said Bush either lied or exaggerated about what was known about Iraqi's weapons while an equally large majority of Republicans said the president did neither. Slightly more than half of all independents believed Bush had mislead the public about Iraqi's weapons cache.

I realize that some of this is due to the focus on the Democratic primaries, but his ratings are really falling even more than I thought they would. :eek: :love:

Kerry is getting some bad press lately too.
But just cuz a majority don't vote for Bush, doesn't mean he's not going to win

Wow, his rating are starting to fall. I know that I do not believe him, but when you calculate in the wrongness factor that these polls have, its starting to spell trouble for Bush. I do not think it is all due to the Democratic Primaries, I think the US in general is starting to mistrust Bush, although Bush hasn't really started campaigning in earnest, and hasn't gotten that 200 Million U$D to start cranking out those TV ads.

I am hoping that Edwards wins the Primaries, and the Election!!!

Big deal. Dukaksuk was ahead of Bush the Elder in '88 in February and look how that turned out.

Liberal media strikes again! :p
Don't care about these big polls right now. When the push polling comes...then be prepared for some blood.

Push-polling is passe. No one answers their phones anymore.

I prefer the "personalized brown envelope message" myself. It's very labor intensive marking the addresse on every envelope with a black marker, but people love to tear at the envelope and gawk at the glossy pictures of nekkid interns inside.

Originally posted by Richard III
Push-polling is passe. No one answers their phones anymore.

I prefer the "personalized brown envelope message" myself. It's very labor intensive marking the addresse on every envelope with a black marker, but people love to tear at the envelope and gawk at the glossy pictures of nekkid interns inside.
Hey, it turned Max Cleland into Hitler. It turned McCain into a typical Jerry Springer guest. I can't count it out!

Don't go by ANYTHING the media throws at you no matter what a battery of "analysts" are going to say. Of the last 6 state elections we had in India, some of the most reputed names in statistics got it totally wrong. The best success rate was about 50%, i.e., they predicted the results closely enough in 3 iout of 6 states and got it horribly wrong. What is even worse is that these studies were made public a couple of months before the elections, so that the party which was supposed to win, got so overconfident, that they took a sound beating. :p

Top Bottom