Buzz words of OT

Now I love a good verbal steamrolling as much as the next person . But since frequenting this place I've found I've really been able to up the ante and find myself bringing much beloved terms from here into RL discussion . They are not terms exclusive to here , but they seem to hold a special place .

So have any of you found yourself reeling off some classic CFC specials in RL ? Personally I'm loving throwing the following into the mix.....

Demonstrably
Objectively
Disingenuous
Ergo
The State

And yes , before you get all disingenuous on me , I'm aware these are everyday words . But be honest , we love 'em here.

I've gone into a habit of capitalising "Good Thing" and "Bad Thing". Not sure who started using them that way; either Dachs or Masada I bet.

Also, I've taken the label "Warmists" from the climate deniers. I wear it with pride.

It hasn't been used around here much since The Last Conformist left, but I often find myself using "a priori" (and less often "a posteriori"), as in "there's no a priori reason why she wouldn't like you, just go talk to her". In more adversarial situations, it confuses people for just long enough that I can continue talking without them being able to offer a witty rejoinder.

(The good thing about the above sentence is that I'm not saying that there's no reason why she wouldn't like him, I'm saying there's no a priori reason why she wouldn't like him. Because there are clearly myriad reasons for her not to like him, which will become readily apparent when he tries to chat her up. But she doesn't know that yet - hence, no a priori reason for her not to like him. It's a nice little back-handed insult that only a handful of my friends would cotton on to.)

Since I use i.e. here a lot, I've started to say it in real life. It's weird.

This place has made me get my coat many times.

I'll get my coat.

I've made a clear effort to make "effect (v.)" and "sub rosa" part of OT brogue.

If Ecofarm were still around, we could add equatism. Never really encountered that outside of here.

Also, I don't think anyone's referred to it as "elfing" in years. I miss Urederra. :(

I think TF has added a few words/phrases to our vocabulary, or at least new ways to use them, like "pedant" and "as such."

Ways to win an internet argument #58: add the word FACT at the end of a statement to prove it true.

"Insert totally subjective and factually unsupported opinion here" : "FACT"

I'm going to start only replying to Dachs with:

"This is how it happened..."

So have any of you found yourself reeling off some classic CFC specials in RL ?

Not at all.
Might have something to do with the fact that about 80% of all conversations I take part in are in German.
CFC has influenecd my debate tactics though. I'm better now at detecting and disarming rhetorical traps, and I formulate my opinions in a way that my opponent usually can't build a straw man without looking stupid.

"Dude"

I was honestly never sure what that actually meant.
Comparison of USA's activities with the activities of some dictatorship or other. Even while these activities look similar, in reality they aren't, since USA does it for freedom, while dictatorships so it just because.

"Objectively" is Bill3000's fault. He made it a cancer on #fiftychat and #nes and, by extension, here.

I get whined at for using prima facie sometimes, but I don't think that's gotten popular, it's just perceived to be a verbal tic specific to me.
I've gone into a habit of capitalising "Good Thing" and "Bad Thing". Not sure who started using them that way; either Dachs or Masada I bet.
That'd be me (or me via Masada, since he picks up a lot of my terminology), but it's a general history trope. Supposedly started with 1066 and All That.

Masada also hijacked "janx", although that really hasn't gotten much play outside some of the Orthodachsals.

I was honestly never sure what that actually meant.

I think it meant saying that two things were similar which cast Ecofarm's position in a bad light was incorrect, because each situation is different and you can't "equate" them. Unless by comparing them you exonerated Ecofarm's position, in which case they were directly translatable.

Ahh.. good ole Ecofarm. :D

Masada also hijacked "janx", although that really hasn't gotten much play outside some of the Orthodachsals.

Oh yeah, speaking of janx, I also stole mang and now use that heavily to the annoyance of my friends.

Top Bottom