It's not really a duality as much as just basic human nature and behavior.

Hey uhhh I was sort of interested in why you seem to think your mental and physical states are completely/sufficiently separated such that perfect control of their interactions is achievable, reasonable, commendable and always correct. Its also maybe a bit of an odd thing for a guy who is likely a materialist. But then, maybe its just your tendency towards absolutist statements. Taken to the extreme, you seem to be saying that if a victim of physically non-harmful torture was bothered by it, then the burden of fault would be on them - which seems obviously silly and easily disprovable, though it experimental ethics would never permit it.

Everything else was just you taking shots at your favorite targets and you don't actually need me for that.

I think ‘happening right now’ is definitely a factor, but there are also serious live conflicts in (to name a few): Sudan, Ethiopia, Myanmar, Haiti.

For me, Ukraine / Russia is much more impactful important than Israel / Gaza, mainly due to proximity worries and the possible of nuclear escalation.

The only thing I can put my finger on is the West’s support for Israel, but somehow feel that even in the absence of that this conflict would be elevated somehow.

I'm not quite sure. The US is also largely footing the bill to the UN giving relief money to the Taliban so Afghan women continue to get treated like dirt.
You wonder, when does that get a protest? *shrug* Meh...

It's unproductive because it is not possible. Spending resources on a task that can not be achieved is the definition of pointless waste.
Famously, protests have never achieved anything. The Vietnam War continues to this very day.

The graveyards of this world, both metaphorical and real are full of young revolutionaries who thought they were saving it. And yet somehow the world has not yet been saved. So call me cold if you like, but I don't really see any sense in adding to the pile.
Well why do you care? You can just suppress the emotion as you said, change the channel from the cops beating student protestors. Watch some nice calming Rick and Morty. If you're going to embrace nihilism for the destruction of Palestine then why not embrace it for the protests as well?

When it comes to the genocide in Palestine my options are to gorge my self on news about it thus making my self upset and achieve NOTHING, Make pointless political gesture that might get me into trouble and can achieve NOTHING anyway or change the channel and get on with my life trying not to think too hard about yet another horrible thing happening in the world.
I reject the premise that the student protestors aren't achieving anything.

As for risk, you are greatly overstating the risk to your livelihood for opposing Palestine. If you're smart about it you don't have to assume much risk at all. But like, even if supporting Palestine was a death sentence...its a genocide. The crime of crimes. If you can't take risk to oppose that then what is worth taking risk for? If you can't find purpose in opposing a genocide then what's the point of even living?

Student protests demanding the colleges disinvest from Israel may result
in disinvestment but that is long term and while it may have an impact on
the financial system that is unlikely to be particularly significant; the financial
system has already set up many ethical investment funds; so it is unlikely
to have much impact on the power structure local to the particular campus.
Considering how strongly and violently most campuses have reacted to the protests I don't believe that is true.

I can honestly say I didn't expect 21st student protests on campus to be compared to the assassination that in part lead to WW1.
And honestly, it is just simple-minded and brutish to think that WW1 might not have happened if not for the assassination per se. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if not for young people? So... is the solution for humans to stop existing? Brilliant deductions from the least helpful exponents of "solutions to society's problems:" if the young had the wisdom of the old, et cetera et cetera.

And honestly, it is just simple-minded and brutish to think that WW1 might not have happened if not for the assassination per se. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if not for young people? So... is the solution for humans to stop existing? Brilliant deductions from the least helpful exponents of "solutions to society's problems:" if the young had the wisdom of the old, et cetera et cetera.
Yeah, I'm no historian but I believe contemporary opinion is that it'd have happened sooner or later in some fashion regardless? The assassination just (partly) ensured it would happen when it did.

I can honestly say I didn't expect 21st student protests on campus to be compared to the assassination that in part lead to WW1.
It's the same silly emotional drive to act without thinking that leads to both. Some times it just backfires fantastically.
You missed: and achieve NOTHING.

You're acting as though the third choice has a different level of impact, and you're assuming the first two have none. Even if they do, you're not making a logically-superior choice when guaranteeing the same outcome.
Well let us examine the options, shall we?

1. Watch the news and generally think about the whole sordid affair.
Investment:
My time and energy.
Outcome: I feel upset. The world keeps turning. Palestinian babies still keep being crushed by Israeli tanks because that's how the world works.
Verdict: I loose. Palestinians loose. We all loose.

2. Watch the news and generally think about the whole sordid affair AND try to do something about it.
Investment:
Even more of my time and energy.
Outcome:
I feel upset. The world keeps turning. The Israelis keep on working to recreate WW2 but in reverse because they can and NOTHING I do can and will stop them. Also, I get labeled as an antisemite.
Verdict: I loose even worse than before. Palestinians loose. We all loose.

3. Change the channel and move on with my life:
Investment:
A bit of emotional fortitude on my part and the click of a button.
Outcome: The world keeps turning. The Israelis find new and exciting ways to kill innocents. But I no longer feel upset.
Verdict: Well, it's not good. But at least it's not as bad as the alternatives. At least I don't feel upset any more.

Is what I am saying really that alien to you? Because it's just the basic most human way of dealing with things. Have you newer say had someone die that you care about? A friend, family member or pet maybe? Remember what you did than. Sure, it was sad and you cried and were sad for a while. But than you got over it. And you did so by choosing to not think about them any more. And by not thinking about the thing that upset you soon enough it became in your heart and mind as if that thing newer existed. And you were fine again.

We humans can get over a lot of really horrible stuff emotionally. So why not apply the same skill to something as comparatively banal as the news on the TV? Just change the channel and get on with your life.

if you think that your actions have no capacity to change or affect anything in the world then what is the point in living?

We humans can get over a lot of really horrible stuff emotionally. So why not apply the same skill to something as comparatively banal as the news on the TV? Just change the channel and get on with your life.
Well, most people do, and that's why we have genocides isn't it? Congratulations on your excellent contribution to history.

The difference between those who do nothing and those who do something is probably "cowardice vs bravery." So if you're happy to be a coward, live as you choose. But then that's the only thing you'll ever be as far as history is concerned. How's that make you feel?

At least I don't feel upset any more.
Well if that's your driving motivator in doing anything, I'm not sure what posting here is going to achieve. Good or bad, regardless of how this is going.

You certainly don't seem to want a discussion.

As for it being alien to me, I understand it just fine. I understand people who try to make themselves hyper-rational all the time very well. In my personal experience it doesn't make them well-equipped to give advice, or even pass judgement on (for example) protestors protesting for a cause they (given all the available evidence) deeply believe in.

Last edited:
A bit of emotional fortitude on my part and the click of a button
There's a famous saying that runs to the effect of "All that is necessary for evil to triumph in this world is for good men to click a button." I'm sure I don't have the exact phrasing.

If Biden is trying to put some brakes on Israeli use of American armaments, and if he is doing that in part because he knows he needs the youth vote in the upcoming election, and if he knows how young people feel by seeing their passion in these protests, then the protests are doing something good. Let's say 100,000 young people have protested. I'm just picking a number out of a hat. You could feel yourself to be 1/100,000 of that little success. Let's say Netanyahu drops one fewer bomb as a result of no longer feeling full-throated American support and kills one fewer Gazan kid. You could feel you had a 1/100,000 share in that kid living rather than dying.

That's worth anything you'd see on the other channel.

If some local kid needed a $100,000 operation, would you kick in a buck? If the operation was a success, would you feel happy about your 1/100,000 share in that kid living rather than dying?

Last edited:

Police eject pro-Palestinian protesters from University of California, Irvine​

University officials asked for help because protesters had occupied a lecture hall

Police on Wednesday took back a lecture hall from pro-Palestinian protesters who for hours occupied the building at the University of California, Irvine, then cleared a student encampment that stood for more than two weeks, witnesses said.

Officers from about 10 nearby law-enforcement agencies converged on the campus after university officials requested help because protesters had occupied the lecture hall, leading the school to declare it a "violent protest," police and university officials said.

About four hours later, police had ejected the protesters from both the lecture hall and the plaza that had been the site of the encampment, according to the university and Reuters witnesses.

"The police have retaken the lecture hall," UC Irvine spokesperson Tom Vasich said by telephone from the scene. "The plaza has been cleared by law-enforcement officers."

Vasich said there were a "minimal number of arrests" and characterized the protesters as "begrudgingly co-operative."

The university said all classes would be held remotely on Thursday, asking employees not to come to campus.

Latest U.S. campus protest​

The demonstration at Irvine, about 65 kilometres south of Los Angeles, is the latest in a series of campus protests across the United States over the war in Gaza in which activists have called for a ceasefire and the protection of civilian lives while demanding universities divest from Israeli interests.

UC Irvine protesters had established an encampment adjacent to the lecture hall on April 29 similar to those at other universities that have led to mass arrests and clashes with police elsewhere in the country.

On Wednesday 200 to 300 protesters took over the lecture hall at a time when no classes were in session, Vasich said.

Police responded in riot gear and formed a barricade while an officer on a loudspeaker warned the crowd that they had formed an unlawful assembly and risked arrest if they remained, the Orange County Register reported.

Video on social media showed students chanting slogans, banging drums and hoisting banners, with rows of police standing nearby. One banner hung from the building declared the site "Alex Odeh Hall," in honour of a Palestinian activist who was killed in a 1985 office bombing in the nearby city of Santa Ana.

Four nearby research buildings with potentially hundreds of people inside were locked down, and those inside were instructed to shelter in place, Vasich said, though the university later altered that instruction and instead advised them to leave.

Chancellor Howard Gillman has said the university has been in talks with students since the encampment was set up but has been unable to reach an agreement to find an "appropriate and non-disruptive" alternative site.

Gillman has said the university cannot selectively decide against enforcing rules against encampment and that "The University of California has made it clear it will not divest from Israel."

"Encampment protesters have focused most of their demands on actions that would require the university to violate the academic freedom rights of faculty, the free speech rights of faculty and fellow students, and the civil rights of many of our Jewish students," Gillman said on Monday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uc-irvine-police-protest-1.7205710

Top Bottom