Can Grand Mosque of Djenne be captured. or is it destroyed?

zxcvbob

Emperor
I know this is a 5 year old thread, but I've searched and I can't find the answer. Can the Great Mosque of Djenne be captured, or is it destroyed? Does it matter whether the conqueror has opened Piety or founded a religion? (I've done neither)

I captured it this early morning before work. Madrid changed back and forth until Isabella ran out of nearby melee units and accepted a white peace deal (I was capturing with a privateer that had logistics that could hop out of the city the same turn and wait for it to fall again.) The city is 1 pop now and almost all its buildings were destroyed, but I didn't notice if it still had the Great Mosque or the free mosque that comes with it. None of the tiles were pillaged and the puppet governor is building a granary first, so it will be a nice city for annexing soon enough. BTW, she declared war on me, and refused several peace offers after her initial attack with dozens of triremes failed (just barely failed)

The game save is on my other computer and it's really bugging me that I don't know, and I can't check it until tonight. :crazyeye:

Moderator Action: Prefer that folks not necro old threads, so this post is moved to create a new thread -- Browd

Last edited by a moderator:
World Wonders are never destroyed on city capture, but other buildings (including the free mosque that the original owner obtained when the Great Mosque was completed) can be destroyed (there's some RNG involved in which buildings get destroyed).

If the free mosque from the GM of D is destroyed on city capture, the new owner doesn't get a new free mosque -- that is a one-time bonus that only applies to the initial builder of the wonder (same goes for other free buildings that come with a World Wonder, such as the free library from the Great Library).

Last edited:
Great Mosque is still there, plain vanilla mosque is not. I've captured the Great Lighthouse before without a lighthouse, but I thought the mosque might be different because it's a religious building.

Top Bottom