Can someone Help me fixing my mod?

I can't see any file right now. Make sure you use the Attach Files button:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 132032.png

Thanks for the screenshot. I missed that we have a style chooser and the forum indeed looks a whole lot better now.
Welcome to the dark side. ;)

You did a great job on the XML part, most of it is correct.

I've found three issues, two minor (basically just aesthetics) and one major (the reason you couldn't get it to work).

First, your tank destroyer requires the same technology twice. In Civ4UnitInfos, change it from this:
Code:
            <PrereqTech>TECH_TERMI_TECH</PrereqTech>
            <TechTypes>
                <PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>
            </TechTypes>
to this:
Code:
            <TechTypes>
            </TechTypes>

Second, your new technologies are all stacked on the tech screen.

You need to change these tags on the new technologies:
Code:
            <iGridX>19</iGridX>
            <iGridY>11</iGridY>

I recommend increasing iGridX and playing around with it until you get it where you want it. If you understand grid systems, you'll get it pretty easy.

Finally, the source of your true problem was ART. (It always seems to be everyone's :lol: ) Your Terminator units Art Paths had some issues. An easy way to check this is going to the Pedia. If you click on the units, the button shows but not the Unit Art.

The problem lies with the <Button>, <NIF>, <KFM>, and <ShaderNIF> tags.

First off, remove the comma from here. Commas cause trouble sometimes and should only be used when using a default Civ4 button, not a custom (added) one.
Code:
            <Button>,Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T600\Button.dds</Button>

Like this:
Code:
            <Button>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T600\Button.dds</Button>

Second, change the NIF, KFM, and ShaderNIF to these paths:
Code:
            <NIF>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T800\marines_fx.nif</NIF>
            <KFM>Art/Units/Marine/Marines.kfm</KFM>
            <SHADERNIF>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T800\marines_fx.nif</SHADERNIF>

Your NIF path was fine but the file you were linking to was not the Terminator Unit.

Your KFM path was linking to the animation in the folder. Unfortunately on some units these don't work, so I switched it to link to the DEFAULT Marines animation. That should work fine.

Your FX path should have been linking to marines_FX.nif

-------

Try to do these changes on your own, as it will help you more than me doing them for you. If you can't get one to work, I have the changed files on my PC.

Here's a screenshot:
Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

You did a great job on the XML part, most of it is correct.

I've found three issues, two minor (basically just aesthetics) and one major (the reason you couldn't get it to work).

First, your tank destroyer requires the same technology twice. In Civ4UnitInfos, change it from this:
Code:
            <TechTypes>
            </TechTypes>
to this:
Code:
            <TechTypes>
            </TechTypes>

Second, your new technologies are all stacked on the tech screen.

You need to change these tags on the new technologies:
Code:
            <iGridX>19</iGridX>
            <iGridY>11</iGridY>

I recommend increasing iGridX and playing around with it until you get it where you want it. If you understand grid systems, you'll get it pretty easy.

Finally, the source of your true problem was ART. (It always seems to be everyone's :lol: ) Your Terminator units Art Paths had some issues. An easy way to check this is going to the Pedia. If you click on the units, the button shows but not the Unit Art.

The problem lies with the <Button>, <NIF>, <KFM>, and <ShaderNIF> tags.

First off, remove the comma from here. Commas cause trouble sometimes and should only be used when using a default Civ4 button, not a custom (added) one.
Code:
            <Button>,Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T600\Button.dds</Button>

Like this:
Code:
            <Button>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T600\Button.dds</Button>

Second, change the NIF, KFM, and ShaderNIF to these paths:
Code:
            <NIF>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T800\marines_fx.nif</NIF>
            <KFM>Art/Units/Marine/Marines.kfm</KFM>
            <SHADERNIF>Art\Units\TERMINATOR PACK\T800\marines_fx.nif</SHADERNIF>

Your NIF path was fine but the file you were linking to was not the Terminator Unit.

Your KFM path was linking to the animation in the folder. Unfortunately on some units these don't work, so I switched it to link to the DEFAULT Marines animation. That should work fine.

Your FX path should have been linking to marines_FX.nif

-------

Try to do these changes on your own, as it will help you more than me doing them for you. If you can't get one to work, I have the changed files on my PC.

Here's a screenshot:
View attachment 677253
Hey, again. Thank you so much that you helped me. My real goal is to copy units from a strategy game called "Castle Crush" into CIV4. But that will be more difficult than it looks because I have to do all the graphics etc myself. That's why I would like to ask you for help to teach me how to do all of this, including with the sounds and so on. My first unit should be the "Dark Angel", which should get +1 stronger per unit defeated. Can you help me with that?

Last edited:
Post the unitinfos entries, it's probably something annoyingly simple, happens to me all the time

Hey, glad you fixed it! Everyone makes mistakes, finding them is how you learn.

Happy modding. :)

Hey, glad you fixed it! Everyone makes mistakes, finding them is how you learn.

Happy modding. :)
Hey, again. Thank you so much that you helped me. My real goal is to copy units from a strategy game called "Castle Crush" into CIV4. But that will be more difficult than it looks because I have to do all the graphics etc myself. That's why I would like to ask you for help to teach me how to do all of this, including with the sounds and so on. My first unit should be the "Dark Angel", which should get +1 stronger per unit defeated. Can you help me with that?

Well I will keep posting videos. Graphics work takes a lot of time and energy, especially if you want custom animations.

I recommend you use unit art already available until you get better with XML modding. I've posted some basics on editing units before in my older videos.

Also that type of ability has to be coded in the SDK, so you need to know C++ or python. I can't promise to help with that, and I can't promise when such a video would be made. In the mean time, you could either read some of the text guides we have on coding here or look at the code yourself if you know programming. I have some experience, but not enough to teach SDK right now (or enough time to meet everyone's request.)

Well I will keep posting videos. Graphics work takes a lot of time and energy, especially if you want custom animations.

I recommend you use unit art already available until you get better with XML modding. I've posted some basics on editing units before in my older videos.

Also that type of ability has to be coded in the SDK, so you need to know C++ or python. I can't promise to help with that, and I can't promise when such a video would be made. In the mean time, you could either read some of the text guides we have on coding here or look at the code yourself if you know programming. I have some experience, but not enough to teach SDK right now (or enough time to meet everyone's request.)
Ok. I can understand that this is a little to much for us for the beginning. But i have other questions. Do you know how to change the map size? The maps in CIV4 are way to small :(. And I would also like to change the maximum number of civilizations. I know there's something like this as a mod, but I want to put it in my mod "The Future". Isn't there an xml file somewhere that has the map information and you can change the size? (The same with the maximum number of civilizations)

More Civs:
Download this mod or a similar one, copy the DLL (which is a code library) into the Assets folder of your mod, and it should allow more civs.

Map Size:
Read this thread.

More Civs:
Download this mod or a similar one, copy the DLL (which is a code library) into the Assets folder of your mod, and it should allow more civs.

Map Size:
Read this thread.
Thank you so much! You are really helping me here! I already have another question. How do i change the sound of Units? I tried to do it by myself, but mostly the files i searched for, are are hidden and i cant find them to change them. Can you also help me with that?

Thank you so much! You are really helping me here! I already have another question. How do i change the sound of Units? I tried to do it by myself, but mostly the files i searched for, are are hidden and i cant find them to change them. Can you also help me with that?
Do you want to change the language when you click them, what it sounds like when you build them, or the sounds like when you click artillery or tank

Top Bottom