Can you play Civ IV on your laptop?

• Yes, rocking through the Industrial age as we speak

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • No, black map, chesire cats, blue screen, just plain crashed

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Kinda'

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
can play but its painfully slow in the lowest graphics settings (especially during anarchy)
and of course, i see eyeballs and .... only :p

my system:
dell inspiron 510m
1.6 gig pentium m processor
1 gig ram
intel 82852/82855 graphics chipset...

i am not going to try it soon unless there is a solution of this messed up game.

oh, and just to add....
no memory leak problem so far. i played only half of a game and got disappointed with the game speed.

civ utilizes around 370 meg of ram with a tiny map. i had 8 cities and the total number of cities in the world were around 20/25.
avarage unit per civ is 16. all the settings were set to low. changed unit visibility to 1000 to get rid of the fog of war.

Gerikes said:
Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501
1.7 G Pentium4-M Processor
512 MB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 GO (32 MB) Graphics Card

Completed two games thus far. Only graphics problems are choppy wonder scenes (haven't crashed on any yet), two-bread only on tile-yeild overlay, floodplain riverbanks visible through Fog of War, and while scrolling over the world's "wrap" point partial visability through the Fog of War.
Same here.....

512 RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500
I have black terrain/cheshire cat, and toast-only. That said, the game actually works, although it's a bit sluggish, so I'm playing it anyway.

WScottCross said:
Runs pretty well on my Inspiron 9100 with 1GB and P4 2.8C and ATI Mobility 9700 64MB. Rebooted when I got to Modern Era, but I don't think that was hardware related.

I have a very similar system. Slightly faster processor and next step up video card - no real problem running the game. Graphics fine, movies shudder a bit but only a small annoyance. No stability problems encountered so far.

I did have the slightest problem loading the game from disks but that is a 'touchy' drive issue not game related. I learned a long time ago how to work around that one. HOWEVER no problem would even had to be worked around if entire game was on 1 DVD!! That probably might have solved some of the movie play issues reported as well.

Did get the right tech tree, but with the missing causal link addressed by many. CD that runs during game play also mislabeled. In the end these are all minor problems' once identified easily forgotten.

The bug (not computer related) that almost makes the game unplayable is the peace negotiation / trade bug. For those that play a military/heavy handed approach this is a game destroyer. I want all I can demand from a defeated foe, but if he just gives up the empire, ah that's no fun; #%$@&!

I have been wasting my time waiting for a patch by trying to learn 'some of the finer points of the game'. Practicing my diplomacy and cooperation, etc. but it is not the same. Even the most serene approach to the game must occasionally involve conflict! An if you can't take a pound of well earned flesh after the war what satisfaction is there. I don't want it all, just what should be a realistic agreement based on the circumstance at hand.

Can't wait for a patch; I got to go level a few cities which are not on the side of my religion, they deserve it!!!! Now that civilization as we know it.

mine is Toshiba M300,

I bought the game today, but can't play. dark terrian, movie and music stutters..

It sucks.:mad:

Top Bottom