[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Yes, they were originally organized as a cavalry unit, and then later assigned policing duties.

The point was more that part of why they became famous was their penchant for policing unarmed. That was always more of a cultural meme than reality, but it wasn't completed divorced from reality, either. The early Mounties earned a reputation for bravery and fairness by walking unarmed into volatile situations and getting them sorted out without resorting to violence.

FXS basically had to have Mounties in the game. But the mechanical implementation is awful.

Given Mounties aren’t military units, I think they were always going to be tough to implement. I think they should have basically just been a Cav unit with a city bonus when garrisoned. And then maybe Canada should have been given a second UU that’s a bit more useful - eg maybe something in the ranger class, or like Australia’s digger.

I like the Canadien français theme by having Wilfrid Laurier as the leader of Canada, but I would have gone with a Voyageur theme for the unique unit, as opposed to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The modern day RCMP was founded in 1920, while Laurier died in 1919, although they did have the Dominion Police Force during Laurier's time. Laurier was born in 1841, so a Fur Trading theme would have been more appropriate for Canada, as opposed to the stereotype of Hockey or the Mounted Police. Farming and Fur Trading would have been more appropriate themes for Canada, along with Fishing in the Maritimes, although they Maritimes were administered separately from Canada until WW2.

The great "Quebec Diaspora" also occurred during Laurie's lifetime, which resulted in roughly 900,000 Quebecers immigrating to the United States and numerous other migrating to the prairie provinces of Western Canada.

I'm still confused by your reasoning. Canada as a whole has never been attacked and has never initiated a war in its history. That isn't Laurier specific. The war of 1812 is the only exception to the 'never been attacked' statement, but we were still very much British at that time.

As for the Last Best West, that was a campaign Laurier initiated if I recall correctly. Saskatchewan and Alberta (AKA the prairies) joined Canada during his time in office. He also oversaw the Yukon becoming it's own territory. Resources and farms in the north make perfect sense for him specifically.

This is slightly misleading. At the time of the War of 1812, roughly 3/4 of the population in Ontario (Upper Canada) and 4/5 in New Brunswick consisted of United Empire Loyalists and their descendants, that is people of American ancestry who moved to Canada as a result of the Revolutionary War or British land grant offers. In 1812, a person from Virginia or South Carolina could walk around Ontario and think they were in the American South, because the culture, language and accent were so similar. The only real difference, being support or opposition to the British monarchy.

Quebecers of French ancestry were the largest population demographic in Canada until the mid 20th century, while United Empire Loyalists were the 2nd largest until the late19th century.

In regards to the Prairie provinces, at the time of WWI, American immigrants or descendants of American immigrants accounted for roughly 25% of the population.

Fishing in the Maritimes, although they Maritimes were administered separately from Canada until WW2.

Small correction. The "Maritimes" consist of three provinces: New Brunswick and Nova Scotia who were part of the four original provinces that founded Canada in 1867, and Prince Edward Island that joined around 1870 or so.

You're thinking of a fourth province, Newfoundland & Labrador, which didn't join Canada until shortly after WW2, and which together with the Maritimes is collectively called "Atlantic Canada".

Small correction. The "Maritimes" consist of three provinces: New Brunswick and Nova Scotia who were part of the four original provinces that founded Canada in 1867, and Prince Edward Island that joined around 1870 or so.

You're thinking of a fourth province, Newfoundland & Labrador, which didn't join Canada until shortly after WW2, and which together with the Maritimes is collectively called "Atlantic Canada".

I stand corrected on the Eastern Canada part. It was indeed Labrador and Newfoundland that remained independent until WW2.

French Canada originally had two primary provinces, French Acadia (Acadians) and French Quebec (Canadiens). After the British conquest of Canada, the Acadians were largely expelled and Acadia was broken up and turned into Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, eastern Maine and eventually New Brunswick.

Ontario itself was originally part of Quebec, but once the United Empire Loyalists arrived, they didn't want to live in a French dominated province, so the British crown broke Quebec into two provinces, Upper and Lower Canada. Nova Scotia was similarly broken up, when part of it was turned into New Brunswick, although the French were long since gone from Nova Soctia.

Some of my ancestors were from the area that became "Lower Canada" and later Quebec, hence my enthusiasm for the Canada Civ featuring a French prime minister as opposed to a British one like Sir John A Macdonald or William Lyon Mackenzie King. Canadian Confederation would have occurred within a few years of my ancestors leaving for the United States.

That Ottawa picture proves that the Tundra farm isnt really that good - as the picture indicates stagnate growth.

I'm thinking of playing as Canada as my first Civ in GS. They sound powerful at Diplomacy, and that is a very big new feature in GS. I'd probably play Emperor to check out the new GS systems and the AI, i'd go for Culture which is a strength of Canada.

Science victory is much too easy for me on Emperor so I wouldn't go that route. Though if a Diplmatic victory is possible I could go for that.

I'm thinking of playing as Canada as my first Civ in GS. They sound powerful at Diplomacy, and that is a very big new feature in GS. I'd probably play Emperor to check out the new GS systems and the AI, i'd go for Culture which is a strength of Canada.

Science victory is much too easy for me on Emperor so I wouldn't go that route. Though if a Diplmatic victory is possible I could go for that.

I was just looking up the dates, and Laurier was in office at roughly the same time as Teddy Roosevelt. Laurier was Prime Minister from 1896-1911, while Roosevelt was President from 1901-1909. Maybe the devs could create some sort of scenario involving the USA / Canada.

I was just looking up the dates, and Laurier was in office at roughly the same time as Teddy Roosevelt. Laurier was Prime Minister from 1896-1911, while Roosevelt was President from 1901-1909. Maybe the devs could create some sort of scenario involving the USA / Canada.

Based on the negotiation of the first "Reciprocity" free trade agreement between the two? :mischief:

Based on the negotiation of the first "Reciprocity" free trade agreement between the two? :mischief:

That is one possibility, although there are many others as well. Laurier supported the creation of a Canadian Navy, while Roosevelt had the "Great White Fleet" that sailed around the world to show off America's might. Both Roosevelt and Laurier fell out of political favor around the time of WWI, and became leaders of essentially 3rd party opposition factions. You had the "Laurier Liberals" and the "Bull Moose Party".

One major area of difference though, is that Laurier was a vocal opponent of conscription and Canada getting involved in WWI, while Roosevelt was big supporter of America playing a larger role on the world stage and getting involved in WWI. Laurier also tried to maintain Canada as a two culture system, with the French Catholics of Quebec and the largely protestant and pro British populations in the rest of Canada. That was in direct contrast to Roosevelt's belief in assimilation, with the result being American was largely united culturally and linguistically.

Interestingly enough, many French Canadians openly opposed Canada's involvement in WWI and later WWII, despite the fact France and the UK were allied in both wars. The anti English sentiments of French Canadians resulted in very low enlistment rates amongst Francophone Canadians. Roughly 70% of soldiers in the Canadian Expeditionary Force were born in the British Isles, as opposed to Canada, although many had immigrated to Canada.

Interestingly enough, many French Canadians openly opposed Canada's involvement in WWI and later WWII, despite the fact France and the UK were allied in both wars. The anti English sentiments of French Canadians resulted in very low enlistment rates amongst Francophone Canadians. Roughly 70% of soldiers in the Canadian Expeditionary Force were born in the British Isles, as opposed to Canada, although many had immigrated to Canada.

I'm not an expert in this history, but my understanding is that francophone apathy towards the war was rooted in the same instinct that kept the U.S. out of the early part of both world wars: that's a European issue, it has nothing to do with me. Francophone Canadians had been separate from France for a long time, and were already a distinct cultural entity that was separate from any remaining European ties (except the Catholic Church). Anglophone Canadians, though - specifically recent British immigrants, less so longer term Canadians especially those who immigrated to Canada from the U.S. - still had a cultural entity that associated with being part of the British Empire, and yes, that part of the country provided a disproportionate amount of the overseas volunteers.

Interestingly enough, though, it was those same people who started to see themselves as "Canadians" instead of "British" during their time serving together overseas during WWI. Since much of the rest of the country was already there, when those servicemen returned home, the last holdouts within Canadian society of "Canada is still British" were undermined.

Also, as an fyi, these days, francophone Canadians make up a sizeable part of the Canadian military

Yeah, it's one of the grand railroad hotels. Pure speculation as to which one, as they all had similar features, but good guess that the Frontenac was the one they had in mind. Might also have been thinking of the Chateau Laurier, which is actually in Ottawa.
Mmmm...yeah you are right, it does look more like it's heavily influenced by Chateau Laurier and Chateau Frontenac. I mean without the Peace Tower it's not Parliament. It was the green copper rooftops that I was really caught up on but as both of those also have that, it does look more like them.

I will not be surprised if Laurier's trade delegation gift contains poutine, despite the dish originating a few decades after Laurier's death.

After all, there's already anachronistic trade delegation gifts, such as paprikash from Matthias Corvinus (despite chili peppers not existing anywhere in the Old World or known to anyone in the Old World during Corvinus' time; paprikash only became popular centuries after the introduction of chili peppers to Hungary, itself centuries after Corvinus' death) or fried tarantulas from Jayavarman VII (the dish only became popular beginning in the Khmer Rouge era, but Jayavarman VII predates the birth of creator of the predecessor of the Khmer Rouge's ideology (i.e. Karl Marx) by centuries).

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been raised (long thread, don't have time to read it all), but I only heard Laurier speaking French in the reveal video. Totally appropriate of course, I mean he was French. However, he was also an anglophile who spoke perfect English; in fact it was said of him by contemporaries that he "speaks the King's English better than the King". And of course Canada is officially bilingual, and Laurier was the first bilingual prime minister (I think?) so it would be more appropriate if some of his lines were in French and others in English. I certainly hope he has at least a few English lines!

Sorry if this has already been raised (long thread, don't have time to read it all), but I only heard Laurier speaking French in the reveal video. Totally appropriate of course, I mean he was French. However, he was also an anglophile who spoke perfect English; in fact it was said of him by contemporaries that he "speaks the King's English better than the King". And of course Canada is officially bilingual, and Laurier was the first bilingual prime minister (I think?) so it would be more appropriate if some of his lines were in French and others in English. I certainly hope he has at least a few English lines!
They've said he does.

I will not be surprised if Laurier's trade delegation gift contains poutine, despite the dish originating a few decades after Laurier's death.

After all, there's already anachronistic trade delegation gifts, such as paprikash from Matthias Corvinus (despite chili peppers not existing anywhere in the Old World or known to anyone in the Old World during Corvinus' time; paprikash only became popular centuries after the introduction of chili peppers to Hungary, itself centuries after Corvinus' death) or fried tarantulas from Jayavarman VII (the dish only became popular beginning in the Khmer Rouge era, but Jayavarman VII predates the birth of creator of the predecessor of the Khmer Rouge's ideology (i.e. Karl Marx) by centuries).

Poutine is a common Quebecois stereotype invented during the mid to late 20th century. My ancestors lived in Quebec for roughly 220+ years and none of them ever ate Poutine (a 1950's invention). With that said, I am a fan of Poutine, and there is a Poutine stand at the local state fair every year. A common depression era French Canadian staple was Chicken and sliders, which was at least slightly more historical in origin than Poutine.

Many of the foods we associate with modern day Quebec were 20th century inventions, which have largely supplanted the more traditional food items from the 1600's and 1700's then my ancestors would have eaten.

Top Bottom