"Cannot Locate the DVD-ROM"

dropsy said:
I had this trouble too with the french dvd version under windows 2000. My dvd is a liteon.
Thanks to this thread, i found anti-blaxx and it seems to work fine now :)

Thanks for the help.

Unfortuately, that doesn't seem to help either (quite apart from the fact that I don't quite see why I should be using cracks and the like, if I've legally bought it).

Other things, that DIDDN'T WORK for me (IBM Think Pad /w DVD-CD/RW drive, XP Pro SP2; UK-DVD-Version):

- the patch
- the safe-disk-thingy
- changing the compatability tab to NT (or Win2000 for that matter)
- turning off the CD-mode (can't do that)
- writing to tech support :lol:

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers, Fil4000

This was posted in another thread in the general discussion forum. It puzzled the poster as they didn't have a problem with reading the discs at all! It appears far more relevant to this thread. This may or may not help anyone...

Kolyana said:
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Take 2 Technical Support.

If your copy is an original (and you've checked it for dirt/smudges), try returning it to the store for a replacement. There's also the issue with some drives not being able to handle some of the newer copy protection schemes If you have two drives in your computer, try installing from the other one.

Here are some more steps you can try:

Please try the following below in order, and then try again to install or run your software.
1.) Shutdown any other applications running in the background, including Anti-Virus scanners and screensavers. This includes utilities like WatchDog and Crashguard as well. (Most of your icons on the lower right hand of the bottom screen next to the time.) To close your background applications, use
CTRL+ALT+DEL. This will bring up close programs. END TASK on each item
except for EXPLORER and SYSTRAY. You will need to repeat for each item. Now when you do this give about 10 seconds in-between hitting END TASK and doing CTRL+ALT+DEL. If you do not you will reboot your system and will have to start this task all from the beginning. If another window pops up just hit END TASK again. You can also download a 3rd party program called ENDITALL that will shut down your programs all at one time. You can do an Internet search for ENDITALL on search engines like Yahoo.com or Google.com.

2.) Empty the C:WindowsTemp folder on the hard drive. Using Windows Explorer, open the C:\Windows\Temp folder on the hard drive. Press CTRL-A to highlight all the files then press DELETE. Click Yes to delete the files.

3.) Check the bottom (silver) side of the CD for any marks, scratches, smudges, fingerprints or dust particles. If any are found, take a soft damp cloth and wipe the bottom side of the CD starting from the inside and working to the outside. You also may want to see if you can get an exchange for your CD at the place of purchase to see if you may just have a defective CD. It would be faster if you went that route first.

4.) We have found that in most cases that the current CD-Rom.CDr/CDrw/or DVD Rom drives at times does not have updated firmware. Updated firmware is required because most copy protected CD4s are updated. Old firmware will not recognize new copy protection. You can go to this website to check the firmware version you have currently on your drive and match it up with what is listed on this web page. <http://www.firmware-flash.com>

Be advised that if you are not sure of how to update your firmware and/or are not sure what kind of drive you have in your system, you will need to consult your system documentation and/or contact the hardware manufacturer.
We cannot assist with the installation or troubleshooting of any drivers.

5.) If you are using Windows 98or SE, turn off Active Desktop if it is on.

6.) In the Device Manager, check the entry labeled Hard Disk Controllers.
If there are yellow circles with exclamation marks by them, then your system is loading 16-bit drivers for the hard disk controllers. You should check with your system manufacturer or a certified technician to correct this problem, and then you should be able to install the game.

7.) (For Windows 98ME users only) Try disabling DMA on Your CD-ROM drives.
Go to the Start button, Settings, and Control Panel. Double-click the System icon and, in the System Properties dialog box, select the Device Manager tab. Click the plus sign next to the CD-Rom icon and then double-click the icon for your CD-Rom. Next, click the Settings tab and deselect the DMA check box if it in the Options panel. Click OK twice.

8.) Try Reducing the CD-ROM Caching below.
Reduce CD-ROM Drive Caching
To reduce CD-ROM drive caching, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System.
On the Performance tab, click File System.
On the CD-ROM tab, move the Supplemental Cache Size slider to the Small position.
In the Optimize Access Pattern For box, click NoRead-Ahead.
Click OK, and then click Close.
When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
If the issue continues to occur, proceed to the next method.
Disable Auto-Insert Notification

NOTE: If you disable Auto-Insert Notification, your programs can no longer start automatically.

To disable Auto-Insert Notification:
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, double-click System. On the Device Manager tab, click the PLUS SIGN (+) next to CDROM to expand the branch.
Click your CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.
On the Settings tab, click to clear the Auto Insert Notification check box.
Click OK, and then click OK again.
Close Control Panel, and then restart the computer

9.) For users who are using Windows XP there is a web link for SafeDisc & Windows XP issues. You must first uninstall the program (also delete the program folder) then install the patch then reinstall the program.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...1&area=search&
ordinal=1> or <http://www.macrovision.com/solutions/software/fix.php3>

10.) Windows XP Application Compatibility Update (April 10, 2002):
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319580>

11.) If you are having an Installshield or Ikernel.exe errors with the game, try updating your ikernel.exe file from installshield.com4s website.
<http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q105097>

12.) Rename the Installshield folder:
Double-click on My Computer
Double-click on Drive (C: )
Double-click on Program Files
Right-click on InstallShield Installation Information and left-click on rename. And just rename the folder Old InstallShield Installation Information. Then try the reinstall again.

13.) Don't use copies of the game created or burned with BlindCopy or CloneCD, or any other CD-R burning programs because they have also been known to show the data3.cab error.

14.) Your DCOM system files (Microsoft Windows files) are either not installed, are corrupted, have a version mismatch, etc. You should be able to fix it by following the steps below:

A) Download the DCOM executables from here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/dcom1_3.asp>
B) Once the file is downloaded, then double click on it to start the install.
C) Reboot.
D) Make sure the temporary directory is cleaned out. This is normally C:\Windows\Temp.
E) Make sure no anti-virus software is running in the background.
F) Delete the following directory if it exists: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShieldEngine
G) Re-run setup.

H) If this does not work (it should, according to Installshield.com, you may try installing the latest version of Internet Explorer (you may need to remove it from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs first). If that fails, then it has been suggested that reinstalling Windows 98 on top of its self will fix the issue, as basically some Windows executable files have been corrupted or are mismatched by driver date or file size.

Please be sure to note that this may not a problem with our program, but with the Installer product not being able to run on the computer due to a DCOM corruption.

This problem could be specific to the type of CD-ROM being used, and the drivers installed for it. My recommendation is that you find the very latest drivers for your CD-ROM drive and install the latest ones. OR, you could try copying the entire CD to a hard drive and run the install from there, but you will have to do a Custom install and install everything for that to work (or the game will get confused).

15.) If you have the following programs installed on your system they will have to be uninstalled for the program or game to be installed. They are incompatible with the copy protection on most game or programs.

A. PlayBackup
B. DAEMON Tools
C. InseKtors

16.) If you have a Soundblaster Audigy card, you will have to disable the splash screen that comes up when you start the computer. You can do this by checking the ""do not show this again"" box on the splash screen, or by going to Start, Programs, Creative, Sound Blaster Audigy, and then selecting Creative Splash Screen. This will bring up a little control panel, and if you click the circular button on the lower right side, you'll get a box that has a ""load on startup"" option. Uncheck it, and then close the box.

DVD audio applications can also cause this error. You should reboot your system before playing any game if you've been listening to any DVD Audio discs.

17) If the problem should still persist after following the advice above that is applicable to your machine hardware and operating system then there is a chance that the CD may be damaged. If this is the case you should exchange the game at its point of purchase

Hi peeps. Was in this thread earlier on I think.

I got it to work by creating a new "Limited User" on XP.

I'd still like it to be cracked or something so I don't have to mess around with multiple users nor with finding the CD...

Hope this helps others.

Do enybody have a fix mode for this problem? I just want to play the game
I have no respons from manufactor!
Jostein:sad:

BunkMuffin said:
<...>
I'd still like it to be cracked or something so I don't have to mess around with multiple users nor with finding the CD...
:nuke: It has been cracked for almost 2 weeks (?) now I think. :nuke:

same problem with dell inspiron w/ Samsung SN-324 CDRW/DVD drive :(

updated firmware and still no go

karabasan said:
I have the same problem with Pioneer DVD rom 113.

And still waiting for a patch
I don't think they consider copy protection problems a bug, this won't be adressed in a patch. If you have the patience, try some
of the workarounds mentioned in this thread. Or download the NO-DVD-crack.
But don't wait for a patch. :mad:

@jostein

SafeDisk is the copy protection system that Civ4 uses. The game uses it and it is installed along with the game. SafeDisk checks that you have a legitimate disc in your DVD/CD drive and that you have no programs running that could be used to copy that disc or the game. The comments in this thread are because with many people it refuses to recognise the CD/DVD as being legitimate (when it is), or claims you have a program running that could copy the game (when there isn't). Different things work for different people, but one of the many suggestions in this thread should work for you. If you haven't already, try the suggested sequence from Take2 in post #162 of this thread.

Mattholz said:
I don't think they consider copy protection problems a bug, this won't be adressed in a patch. If you have the patience, try some
of the workarounds mentioned in this thread. Or download the NO-DVD-crack.
But don't wait for a patch. :mad:

well look at sony.. that is now considered a VIRUS....

copy protection does not prevent copying nor protect the product.. it only causes issues since most if not all copy protection is really errors on the disk that makes it hard to copy...

Top Bottom