Can't modify bug options?

12padams

Prince
For some reason I can't modify the bug options. Basically if I start a new game, turn terrain damage on or whatever.. It just won't save when I exit the bug menu. If I get back into it the other settings are still there rather than the ones I just set.

I've tried running the game with admin permissions but I still get the same problem. I remember having this problem when I first got into this game... I relsolved it back then but I can't remember how. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Maybe your Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\UserSettings folder is write protected, or a file in there is.
I don't actually know how this could happen, but it would be an explanation.

I also advise against installing any game in your regular programs folder, rather use a /Games or whatever folder.

Maybe your Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\UserSettings folder is write protected, or a file in there is.
I don't actually know how this could happen, but it would be an explanation.

I also advise against installing any game in your regular programs folder, rather use a /Games or whatever folder.

I do that (install in C:/Games) for everything that isn't under Steam. If it is installed in Program files it would certainly be write protected unless padams is running BtS with Admin privledges.

Never mind I fixed the problem by deleting the user settings folder and updating the svn to restore all the files. Now I can change bug settings without problems ;)

I do that (install in C:/Games) for everything that isn't under Steam. If it is installed in Program files it would certainly be write protected unless padams is running BtS with Admin privledges.

Why would you not run as Admin on your own computer? Are you just borrowing it from Microsoft? If it's not shared with anyone else Not being the Admin is really...strange. :crazyeye:

And Take your US MP turn dagnabit! :p

JosEPh :)

Why would you not run as Admin on your own computer? Are you just borrowing it from Microsoft? If it's not shared with anyone else Not being the Admin is really...strange. :crazyeye:

In every Windows OS since Vista even if you are an admin in your user account programs you run default to normal privileges (for security). To give a user-mode program administrative privileges you have to right-click and select "Run as Administrator" to elevate privileges. That brings the UAC prompt to click through.

Why run as Admin when that gives every single program you run rights that they should not have under normal conditions?

How else could someone play C2C then?
You give your normal user writing rights to the C2C folder (best the entire BtS folder so you also get minidumps properly). Alternatively install Civ4 outside your Program Files folder, then the normal user has those rights by default.

You give your normal user writing rights to the C2C folder (best the entire BtS folder so you also get minidumps properly). Alternatively install Civ4 outside your Program Files folder, then the normal user has those rights by default.

Even if i am the only user to the PC?? Same procedure?

Yeah, "normal" programs normally don't have to write to the program directoy directly, they're using the users, commonfiles, localstorage, whatever directory for that.
The big exception are often game, hence it's rather counterproductive to install them into the programs directory. No game should need to be executed with admin rights.

But to be honest, the real reason for me to install them in the games directory is that I'm still used to it from my MS-DOS days. ;)

But to be honest, the real reason for me to install them in the games directory is that I'm still used to it from my MS-DOS days. ;)

Same here, since i started off with DOS 3, or was it 2.ish?:eek:

Yeah, normal is to have two users, one admin and one user with restricted rights.

But then wont the beginning of the start of the PC ask which user?? Rather that just going to the desktop right away??

Yeah, normal is to have two users, one admin and one user with restricted rights.

I wouldn't say it's normal. Recommended certainly, but I'd say usually it's just one user, and with admin rights.
Hell, even I don't do that because I'm too lazy.

//Edit
But then wont the beginning of the start of the PC ask which user?? Rather that just going to the desktop right away??
You can activate autologin for any user (I think, I know I did for mine now). And I also think the default auto logon only works if you haven't defined a password for the default user - I'm not 100% sure though as I've always had a logon screen even with just one user, but then I also always used a password.

I wouldn't say it's normal. Recommended certainly, but I'd say usually it's just one user, and with admin rights.
Hell, even I don't do that because I'm too lazy.

Exactly. Most people are too lazy (including me because I often have to do service or driver-level debugging). This not-recommended-but-normal usage is why Microsoft added the UAC from Vista onwards (clumsily in Vista, much better in Win7), which means that even if you log in as an as admin user, programs still need to confirm rights elevation when they try to make use of it (which is why you get the confirmation box when you say 'run-as-admin' when launching a program. This prevents programs that have no business doing stuff that requires admin rights from making use of them without the user saying it's ok (which is still pretty insecure because most users will say its ok when challenged far too easily, but it's way better than nothing)

Exactly. Most people are too lazy (including me because I often have to do service or driver-level debugging). This not-recommended-but-normal usage is why Microsoft added the UAC from Vista onwards (clumsily in Vista, much better in Win7), which means that even if you log in as an as admin user, programs still need to confirm rights elevation when they try to make use of it (which is why you get the confirmation box when you say 'run-as-admin' when launching a program. This prevents programs that have no business doing stuff that requires admin rights from making use of them without the user saying it's ok (which is still pretty insecure because most users will say its ok when challenged far too easily, but it's way better than nothing)

Yeah, given that I keep my computer physically secure that dialog is enough for me. Normally I know what I'm running and so just click through it, but it helps every once in a while. Doing it with 2 accounts means that you have to type in your password every time you want to elevate privlileges (which for developers is a lot), sort of like sudo on linux.

This whole admin privileges and UAC thing reminds me of the paranoid TV commercials for identity protection. I have privileges turned on for everything and UAC off and never had any problems. I also don't install games to the C: drive let alone Program Files, but that is more for organization than security.

But back on subject, nobody actually answered the original question. The BUG options don't save until you save the game first, and then change them again. You then can save your User Settings folder for future updates.

Same problem.
But I know what I did : Automations>Show City Automations.
Then, my BUG screen buged, but saved this change, so I cant enter in the screen again.
I used an older version of my options to correct this

Why run as Admin when that gives every single program you run rights that they should not have under normal conditions?

Because I want to make the choice, Not the computer or the OS. I'm adjusting to Win 7 64 but it's Not better than my old Win XP Pro 64 and what I could do with it. Too much interference, too much intrusion, and too much control paranoia with these newer OS. I don't Want Microsoft's invasive and hidden controls over a piece of equipment I bought or built. They got their $130 pound of flesh for their OS becuase they are a virtual Monopoly. Too bad DOS didn't fight it out to give consumers a real choice. And sorry Mac users I still don't see your OS as a viable choice Yet. Some day but not yet.

JosEPh

Top Bottom