Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

Private Musings of Statsminister Ole Gudrunsson

Scandinavian Nationalist Rebellions

"Well, I certainly have no idea who's funding those."

Valhallan Gladiators

"A few twisted people with means and money organizing a secretive blood sport- and who's to blame? Me of course! Genius."

Hispaniola's Departure from PADA

"Hrmmph."

Moralism in Venezuela

"Oh bother."

Cuban Civil War

"Damn it!"

Moralism in Nicaragua

"****!"

Religious Strife in Argentina and Paraguay

"FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING WRONG WITH THIS GODDAMNED WORLD?"

Brazilian 'Varukorgboll'

"Heh. It seems that there's some humour left in the world. 'If you can't win, change the rules!' Classic Brazil."

To: Argentina

Your friend and ally Vinland stands beside you in these times of trouble.

To: Germany

Your Komet aircraft is a remarkable engineering achievement! The great aviators of Germany have done much to push back the limits of what was once believed to be impossible.

Vinland's 1932 Olympic Vote

The Vinlandic Olympic Committee votes for Columbia.

OOC: EQ, you said that Emperor Konrad I of Scandinavia is the younger brother of Harald II and Kristian I. However, Kristian is Harald II's son. Harald II lived from 1847 to 1918, while Kristian lived from 1883 to 1921. Should I assume Konrad to be Harald II's third, and youngest, son?

OOC: Excellent update EQ. Haven't looked at the stats too closely, but I think I should have 3 Air Force Quality instead of 2. Also my infantry brigade should have been moved from Iceland home.

Formal response to Scandinavian hostility oncoming.

OOC: Yay! +13 EP, a new good (not perfect, but good) army doctrine and an extra point in the Navy Quality! Now, I'll have to think about what I should do to build up my Air Force or Navy, with something good...

To: Olympic Committee

We naturally vote for the city of Valencia to host the Olympic Games of 1932.

To: the Church in Argentina
CC: The Argentine, Paraguayan, Venezuelan and Colombian Governments, Church hierarchies of the Paraguay/Venezuela/Colombia.

-

We, noting recent events in Argentina, express our grave concerns regarding the state of the Church in Argentina. Ignorance, and unchristian mentalities rooted in erroneous philosophy, appear to us, in light of the evil of schism, and the acts of violence committed even on the part of some clergy (in violation of canon law) in the recent sectarian tensions have led us to the conclusion that more direct involvement on the part of the Holy See is necessary in order to purify the Church in your nation and ensure the light of truth once again can be properly expressed along the principles of the Divine and Catholic Faith. The following ecclesiastical measures henceforth shall be taken in the interests.

Firstly, we decree that an apostolic visitation is to be sent to Argentina, to assess the catechesis of priests in seminaries, the conduct of clergy in Argentina, the doctrinal soundness of the Argentine Church and the Argentine hierarchies adherence to canonical principles, particularly in light of certain evidence of priests violating the canonical prohibitions on clerics engaging in militant activity.

Secondly, we order the nuncio to initiate dialogue with the schismatics of the "Old Church of Argentina" in order that an end to the evil of schism can be achieved. It is our belief that this schism rests not so much on dogmatic matters, but misinterpretation of doctrine by some amongst the clergy (indications point to the erroneous conception that papal infallibility extends beyond ex-cathedra statements on faith and morals being present amongst some schismatics) and non-doctrinal concerns pertaining to the state of the Church in Argentina and the Church's efforts to counter the influence of the godless errors of proletarism and liberalism (both of which contain doctrines which are fundamentally anathema and diametrically opposed to christian teaching) and promote the teachings of the apostles. As such, considering the doctrinal differences are either minor or non-existent, and the disjuncture exists primarily in the area of prudential judgements (with relation to ecclessiastical initiatives), a strong hope exists that this schism can be resolved.

thirdly: Pending the results of the apostolic visitation being investigated by the Holy See, we request that the Episcopate of Argentina, in fidelity to canon law and the doctrines of the faith, ensures that the utmost efforts are made to ensure that needless and unchristian acts of rioting and violence are clearly condemned and diffused should they appear again. Christ in the garden of gethsemane told Peter to sheath his sword when He himself was being persecuted and taken to his death, the faithful of Argentina too must, in fidelity to Christs words, sheath the sword of their mortal passions and any recourse to mob violence and take up instead the cross of suffering laid out upon them. Offering that suffering up, in deed as much as in word and spirit for the conversion of souls, most particularly of their protestant countrymen is the right path forward. As we have consistently noted, a true christian polity and society cannot be achieved unless individually, the people who make up that society embark upon the journey of sanctification in their own lives.

Finally, we wish to make known our thoughts regarding the trajectory of south america, and express our concern regarding the pernicious influence of ultra-nationalism in certain quarters. Patriotism of course, is praiseworthy, but the nationalist sentiment of which we speak is one which pits men against men and promotes hatred amongst the human family. In particular the hatred towards Argentines AS Argentines in Paraguay, and between Colombians and Venezuelans as people comes to mind and greatly concerns us. In the first case, hatred towards Argentinians themselves is unjust and unchristian and reminds the Catholic that self-reflection and continual conversion to Christ, in humility and reverence, is always necessary lest one fall into the ways of the devil. Know therefore with a contemplative mind, that one should not despise Argentinians or any nationality, race or individual for what they are, for what truly should be despised and opposed always is error and sin, nothing else for error leads people away from truth and sin leads men to damnation. This lesson applies also in the second case between Colombians and Venezuelans, where we see both peoples profess Christ as Lord, and yet many amongst them profess hatred of the other? Do they truly hear Christ and believe in Him? Do they listen and understand when he says that those who are to follow him must love their neighbours as themselves, or are they as seed pecked up and devoured by the birds in the field? Yes grievances exist between both nations, but such grievances should not intrude and obstruct a shared joy in Christ the Lord, nor provoke hatred of the other, for such malice and division only serves the true enemy of all mankind, who is the devil. This lesson we hope the peoples of South America take to heart

~Pope Paul VI

-

To: The United Kingdom and Pertinent African Entities
CC: Other African Polities

The Holy See expresses its concerns regarding the ongoing violence in Africa, and with regards to the Homestead Act (which appears to us little more than theft) and notes its desire that all parties consider peaceful negotiations and dialogue in an effort to establish a peace between the British Empire and the parties opposed to its continued dominion in certain regions of Africa. We wish to make it clear that a continuation of the war only secures and entrenches the suffering of the many, and it self-evidently causes many needless deaths both of Native Africans and of Europeans whom the teaching of Christ attests are equal in their humanity and dignity before God.

Furthermore such a war only serves to promote instability and discord more widely, perpetuating hatred between peoples, and perpetuating a paradigm of violence that only hinders the prosperity of nations and the peace of humanity and the world as a whole. Indeed already the signs of the broader effects of this war are clear, in Australia most evidently (the people's legitimate concerns of which Britain should address), with regards to the propagation of instability, discord and violent tendencies. We urge as such all parties to see this clear reality and work towards an end to this conflict.

~ Secretary for Relations with States

Jacksonia votes for Columbia, USA

Adjuuramark votes for Valencia

To: The World

We are seeking foreign investment to help speed up the construction of the Beledweyne Dam. It is estimated that works on the infrastructure could be finished by 1932 with a minimal foreign help of 6 EP.

Russia votes for Sevastopol

To: Adjuuramark

The Holy See would be willing to grant 10 EP to Adjuuramark for the construction of the Beledweyne Dam. The Holy Catholic Church, as the universal Church, looks to the universality of the human family and hopes that this charity may be a sign to those not of the Divine and Catholic Faith of the goodwill of the Church to all people, not just the faithful, and of its particular solidarity with the suffering poor of Africa most particularly those who suffer from the legacy of the parasitic colonialism that proceeds from a certain social and racially darwinistic view common in some regions of the world.

~Sec. Relations with States.

To: The Holy See

We would like to thank His Holiness for such a generous donation. Here there is an image of the estimate surface that will be covered by the water contained in the dam.

To Hungary
From King Mirko Hrvatinić

While I realize that you feel that I am not a legitimate king of Croatia, rest assured that I will do everything in my power to promote stability in the region.

Good update, EQ, though I believe Tadjoura should no longer be occupying my country.

We agreed on peace at previous borders.

Abyssinia votes for Valencia

@Nintz: Indeed, that's an error, which I'll fix whenever I have the time. Tadjoura has withdrawn.

Latest from Adjuuramark:
The Muqdishu Times

More About The Beledweyne Dam Project

After a single year of work, the Great Beledweyne Dam Project is at an advanced stage. The auxiliary canal to dry the Shebelle River around the working area was finished months ago, as work began on digging and securing the foundations for the proper structure of the dam. This marks the beginning of the Second Stage of the project, which has three stages, the last one being the erection of the power plant.

King Daniel's cabinet has issued several reports indicating that with sufficient funding the second stage could be finished within two years, and that the Third Stage should not last longer than a year, as some of the work on the power plant will take place simultaneously with certain specific works on the Second Stage.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Peachy Carnehan, has confirmed that the Papal States will contribute with 10 EP to the project, allowing to complete the dam in time according to the current schedule without compromising the action of the government or its emergency funds.

Lastly, the Ministry of Agriculture, Industry and Transportation, which comprises among others the Department of Civil Development in charge of the works, has published several studies and works which show the impact of the dam on Adjuuran economy through agriculture and electrification of industry and houses between and around Muqdishu and the dam.

According to Minister Rudyard Kipling, "the dam will allow to destationalise agriculture in a wide area on the Shebelle River basin and the lower zones of the Mudug plain through minor irrigation works and the regulation of the river flow", which still tends to ruin crops either by flooding or drought. A technician who worked in the study remarked that the area could be further expanded at a later date with the introduction of more effective techniques and larger infrastructure.

Map indicating the estimated area of non-station dependent agriculture after the completion of the dam.

Kipling has also noted that the electrification will alleviate the economy, making the country's industry less dependent on oil and coal imports. Positive effects of the project in the economy can already be seen as the jobs it has created so far have allowed more private spending and an overall increase on Adjuuran economy. However, calculations on the total effect of the project are still on the works. Some fear that the employment created temporarily that will suddenly disappear upon completion will mean a recession for Adjuuramark, while others say that agricultural and industrial growth derived from the dam will absorb this demand.

Catalunya votes on the Olympic bids,

In an effort to repair relations with the rest of Iberia, Catalunya votes for Valencia, Spain for the Olympics.

Nice to know that Adjuuramark completely forgets that Brazil contributed over 60% of the current funding for the dam.

You sent 10, not 15. :/

If I remember correctly anyway.

@Immaculate: Catalonia, Cataluña or Catalunya (English, Spanish or Catalan).

To: Adjuuramark, Abyssinia, Cataluña

We thank you for voting for giving Valencia the honour of hosting the Olympic Games, and hope that more nations will follow your example.

Top Bottom