[C3C] Captured units dying, instead of switching sides.

JustLuthor

Chieftain
I hadn't played Civ3 for a few months, and decided to come back to it recently. While testing a mod I'm working on, I noticed that when I tried to capture a canon, it died instead of converting to my side. After checking that I hadn't accidentally changed the unit's features that would prevent it from being captured, I decided to test the problem in the normal game. Sure enough, units that can normally be captured, (workers, settlers, artillery units) just die off, instead of becoming mine.

I don't even know how to begin to figure out why the game would suddenly, and without cause, change itself like this. I've tried reinstalling the game, with no luck. Any help, or advice would be appreciated. I still love to play, and mod, Civ3, and the mod I'm working on relies on these units being able to be captured.

The unit must be available to your civilisation and you need to learn the tech before you can capture it. The unit cannot have an attack or defence value. Often in tests I forget to learn the tech and wonder what’s gone wrong.

My latest mod is setup to facilitate international goods and arms trading so you may want to take a look when I release it for open testing on the weekend.

The unit must be available to your civilisation...
This is not technically true: even in unmodded C3C, Civs whose UU replaces a 'generic' capturable unit can still capture that generic unit. For example, in one of my pRNGods games a year or two back, playing as the Koreans, I was able to capture foreign Cannon, even though Korea builds Hwa'cha instead; similarly, I would expect the Inca (EXP+AGRI) to be able to capture foreign Scouts.

That implies that it's only having the right tech (and the capturable unit having A+D=0) that is important.

@JustLuthor
Which Editor did you use? And would you mind uploading your modded .biq, so we can have a look at it?

The unit must be available to your civilisation and you need to learn the tech before you can capture it. The unit cannot have an attack or defence value. Often in tests I forget to learn the tech and wonder what’s gone wrong.

My latest mod is setup to facilitate international goods and arms trading so you may want to take a look when I release it for open testing on the weekend.

That fixed it! Thank you so much. I was really worried there for a second. And now I know.

You're welcome

The Biq is about 70% complete but it has what you need.
Download Main Folder: TLC
Download BIQ
: TLC

The cannon upgrades to the hwach'a so both would be captured without a problem if you’re Korean. Other nations could capture the cannon but not the hwach'a because it never becomes available to them.
The Inca can capture explorers but not scouts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom