Captured workers (1.13) - only one third?

Commander Bello

Say No 2 Net Validations
Just playing on monarch level and crushing a little bit the Vikings, I learned that the captured workers (and the ones produced from a captured Viking town) are only one third as efficient as my home-made ones (my current government is Monarchy). :confused:

When did this change? As far as I remember, in PTW they would have been just half as efficient...

[Edit] Most probably, this is intentional, so I didn't put it in the bugs section. But if the moderators feel that it would belong there....:goodjob:

I think I rememeber reading that the slaves didn't get the bonuses normal workers do, like replacable parts, or democracy. I think it's a bug.

Originally posted by Naokaukodem
It's normal if your civilization is industrious, which means that your workers works 1.5 times faster than other civs' workers, when the ones you capture are still 2 times slower than normal ones.

As I am currently a Persian, I think you're right. Thanks a lot, I was already a little bit confused.

It is not intentional AFAIK. It used to happen in earlier versions and was patched in PTW to not do this.

IIRC, once you get to replacable parts it changes back to normal. Also, the old bug used to only happen in Democracy, i.e. the foreign workers didn't get the government bonus when you played industrial civs.

The efficiency of a worker are only interger valued. A normal worker has an efficiency of 2 (Which is why, for example, irrigation which has a base of 8 takes 4 turns normally). An industrial worker has an efficiency of 3. Slave half that. Unfortunately, that means 1.5 which cannot exist and it is round down. I like to combine a industrial worker with a slave worker for that base of (3+1) just to get that exact 2 turn irrigation. Another problem of using only integers in the program.

Originally posted by Qitai
The efficiency of a worker are only interger valued. A normal worker has an efficiency of 2 (Which is why, for example, irrigation which has a base of 8 takes 4 turns normally). An industrial worker has an efficiency of 3. Slave half that. Unfortunately, that means 1.5 which cannot exist and it is round down. I like to combine a industrial worker with a slave worker for that base of (3+1) just to get that exact 2 turn irrigation. Another problem of using only integers in the program.

In the consequence, I agree with you. But I don't see the integers as being the problem: it is the almost senseless use made of them. Everything would be fine, if the efficiency wouldn't be 2, 3 or 2/2 and 3/2, but if it would be 200 and 300.

The same effect appears in the combat values at the lower end:
1/1/1 for warrior and 1/2/1 for spearman. There is not much space left for diversifications (which might be helpful for the creation of UUs).

I've never understood how somebody could come up with such a .... hmmm... let's just call it an idea, ok? I mean, Civ3 is the third sequel!

Strange... :confused:

captured workers, IMO, are a waste of upkeep. I disband them in a city, or put them into my cities.

Originally posted by meltone1
captured workers, IMO, are a waste of upkeep. I disband them in a city, or put them into my cities.

The primary benefit of captured workers, actually, is that they don't cost any upkeep. So even though they are slower, they are free, which more than makes up for their rate.

Originally posted by Salamandre

For a "civophile" you dont read much the forums, there is no upkeep for slave workers:)

thats why they are great

hmm.. how sad. :o Just think how many slaves I wrongfully tortured due to a lack of proper information. I remember their pleading cries before they were executed, "wait, I don't cost any upkeep!" Alas, I merely ignored them. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is also good to buy them when you can in the trade screen. I've gotten slaves for around 20-40 gold before, so after 40-80 turns they pay for themselves.

Killing the slaves has a negative impact on the original leader's opinion of you either... if he/she still alive

Moderator Action: Moved to the bug reports forum. Now you have to upload a save showing a normal worker and a foreign worker doing the same action on the same terrain type (2 different tiles). ;)

Top Bottom