"Caravans move across Forest and Jungle as if they were roads."

InFlux5

King
What does this mean exactly? I don't notice caravans moving faster on roads - is it a bonus to the trade route :commerce: yield if there's a road connection?

Much like a Caravansary, Roads will extend the range that you can send your caravans. I believe the base range is 15 tiles, such that your caravan can go to any city within 15 tiles of the city of origin. If you have Roads or, in this case, Forests/Jungles that act as roads, your caravans go farther and thus can go to more cities.

Much like a Caravansary, Roads will extend the range that you can send your caravans. I believe the base range is 15 tiles, such that your caravan can go to any city within 15 tiles of the city of origin. If you have Roads or, in this case, Forests/Jungles that act as roads, your caravans go farther and thus can go to more cities.

15 tiles is really much. I doubt that from the beginning they go farther than 10 tiles

I'm not sure of the exact range of caravans. 15 seems like a bit much, I agree, but 10 sounds like a small number. Regardless, roads speed up caravans and allow them to move farther.

Caravans use a pathfinder algorithm to calculate which tiles they can actually reach. This means that even though caravans aren't units in the traditional sense, the routes they choose will still follow movement patterns as if they were units. This is why land caravans benefit from the use of roads, and why cargo ships can only reach some cities once they are allowed to move on oceans, even if those cities could already be reached through coast tiles.
The UA is self-explanatory once you know this concept.

So it increases the range, and that's all? Thanks for the replies everyone, just want to be sure.

That sounds like Iroquois ua. Caravans can move like scouts and they don't lose movement points from hills or jungles. Caravan movement was usually the same in any terrain.

Caravansaries increase caravan range and also increase whatever gpt or spt you get from trade routes.

Caravansaries increase caravan range and also increase whatever gpt or spt you get from trade routes.

If, by "spt" you mean Science Per Turn, then I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Unless it's an undocumented feature.

Top Bottom