Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Check out the Strategic Rivers mod.
This mod tries to give the strategic importance of rivers in the game Civilization validity.

New features:

Ships now can sail on rivers. Uses your fleets to explore new terrain, to quickly move troops and units, and to block the trading of your opponents!

Rivercrossing for units is now limited. Find and conquer the few river fords where your armies can cross rivers. Teach them to swim or build bridges to conquer those proud waters!

Build mighty river forts to protect your cities from foreign fleets!

Utilizes the diversity of life in the rivers. Fish, crawfish, alligators and the famous sturgeon caviar are important resources, that will make your cities richer and your trade prosperous!

Download here: http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=98722

Details:

Two new resources: alligator and caviar.

Two new strategic resources: beach (required for the construction of swimming areas) and river ford (allows the crossing of rivers).

A new promotion: river crossing. Allows units to cross rivers. Requires the technology "fishing".

A new building: swimming area - Gives all new units the promotion “river crossing”. Requires either a beach in the city vincinity or an aqueduct. Requires the technology "fishing".

A new wonder: “National project swimmingclasses”. Adds a swimming area to all cities.. Requires the technology "military tradition".

A new unit: river workers. Can work riverfields. Requires the technology "Mathematics".

Two bridges - wooden bridge and railway bridge. They allow uits to cross rivers and give the same bonus to unitmovement as roads or railways. Note: Can only be built at a distance of 3 fields to each other!

New improvement: river fortress. Gives a defensive bonus and can only be built on the river areas. Note: Can only be built at a distance of 4 spaces to each other.

Yes, fall from heaven does. That would be great to implement in C2C
<iXPValueAttack>6</iXPValueAttack>
<iXPValueDefense>3</iXPValueDefense>

<ElementType name="iXPValueAttack" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>
<ElementType name="iXPValueDefense" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>

This will add much more diversity to units

We've got Strategic Rivers inclusion as a plan on the agenda at some point but there's much more pressing matters - it's all a matter of time.

Some consideration for attack vs defense values has been made but no real plan to instil it (yet.)

So, i hope this is not already asked. But in C2C, if I'm next to say, Armenia and Manchuria, and there is barbarian tribe called Minoans. Will those rivals become Armenia, Machuria/China and Minoa? Or will they just evolve into whoever with the name? Like, Armenia with the Armenian leader, but the nation is Japanese?

So, i hope this is not already asked. But in C2C, if I'm next to say, Armenia and Manchuria, and there is barbarian tribe called Minoans. Will those rivals become Armenia, Machuria/China and Minoa? Or will they just evolve into whoever with the name? Like, Armenia with the Armenian leader, but the nation is Japanese?

I think it is random, but in one game I played they changed the names of their cities to those of the nation they became.

Pay no attention to the names of barbarian tribes/cities. When they evolve into a minor civ, it is totally random, and when that minor civ evolves into a full civ, the city names will be turned into the proper names for that civ.

both of you must research writing then you can negotiate an open borders agreement. Maybe. If they want. Ambushers, Thieves, Rogues, Spys, do not need an open border agreement, they can cross all borders. So can kayak and outrigger, and some other explorer types. The unit will say that they can enter others territory.

In WB how do you make large fresh water lakes, such as the Great Lakes in USA? The only water terrain I see is Polar ocean, tropical ocean, and ocean, but those are salt water.

IMHO the +1 happy face in the city just for any discovery of the Natural Wonder is too big a reward. The happiness is too easy then with plenty of extra happy faces. Money and the building wonder itself should be enough.

Just a general thought around Global Properties.

Take for example Climate Chnage/Carbon emissions. To have an accurate real world take on emissions there would be a need for a global propertry taking into account every carbon emitting building or farm and a model which used carbon sinks like forests.

Would create a very interesting dynamic

Funny coincidence - I'm Polish, currently I play Israel civilization and most of my Great People are Jewish or Polish. Or both. ;) Also, it's a big and very pleasant suprise, how many Polish scientists, artists or even generals are included, considering how log we had to wait for official Polish civilization in unmodded Civilization.

In c2c, CO2 is included in air pollution,which kinda annyos me, but we can't model every detail too much. It works ok this way for most game concepts. To make it more realistic, factories should give more :yuck: in the beginning as they do now. Then with tech progression they should have some :yuck: removed and later some Air Pollution as well.

Personally I wouldn't mind the use of the ordinance system a bit more, to model industrial standards improving or decreasing.

Similar to what Faustmouse was implying but putting less focus on tech and putting the responsibility on the player/AI.
Basically to improve the health of your civilization, you could implement ordinances that cost a fair amount maintenance, if you could focus it to make certain buildings more expensive, the better.
ex.
Improved Pollution regulations would decrease the air pollution of a factory, and its unhealthiness. It would significantly increase the maintenance cost of a factory.

Just thinking that a system similar to this could be implemented, which your tech, which stands as theoretical concept, and practical concepts which could link to a randomly generating unit that spawns based on tech, education, population, and civics.
Great Scientist and Engineers could 'Inspire a Generation' and create a bunch of innovators of their type that a player could use to unlock better ideas.

The ordinances mentioned above could be tied to tech and civics, and restricted by the player's ability to support it.
AI wise, is there an ability to find the average health of their cities? Basically, (sum of healthiness of cities)/(sum of cities) compared to a check to their income? The AI could implement it if the above part checks out?

Hello, I was wondering if there ever has been a mod or an option to make the research progression stop at present day, Im not to fond of the futuristic stuff. And if that hasn't ever been made, then I would like to suggest it for future additions to the mod.

Hello, I was wondering if there ever has been a mod or an option to make the research progression stop at present day, Im not to fond of the futuristic stuff. And if that hasn't ever been made, then I would like to suggest it for future additions to the mod.

There is a "No Future Era" option I think

While it is easy to add the option. It is not quite so easy to implement it.

If we use WoC and make each building, unit etc. depend on the Tech that enables it we would be in a better position to then use the NotGameOption tag on the post modern techs. We would also need to do something with the repeating/last tech as well.

That assumes that the technologies are loaded/defined before anything else.

Actually it is easy to implement just time consuming and not seen as a high priority.

If you or anyone would like to do this I and others can help you. All you need a text editor for editing the XML eg Notepad++ will do.

What has to be done is:-
Step 1. For all Buildings, units, promotions, resources and builds anywhere in the mod folders add the following code after the type or name line.
Code:
			<AndDependencyTypes>
                    	<DependencyType>TECH_XXXX</DependencyType>
 			</AndDependencyTypes>

Where TECH_XXXX is the id of the prerequisite tech. If there is more than one add a new line with each of the others.

This only needs to be done for those enabled by the postmodern techs you want turned off.

Blast.. I just remembered the obsolete tech and the variations to yield etc. based on tech. That is where the difficulty comes in. May not be a problem with this option but we can sort that out when we get to them.

Step 2. For all techs wanted to be turned off add the following
Code:
<NotGameOption>GAMEOPTION_NO_FUTURE</NotGameOption>

This will turn them off if that option is selected. The other stuff will then be turned off as well. Note the first game after the game option is set will still have everything in the pedia but subsequent game sessions wont.

Step 3. Add a new end tech by copying the old, giving it a new name id and connect it to the last techs left. Also have
Code:
<GameOption>GAMEOPTION_NO_FUTURE</GameOption>
so that it is turned on.​

Would be easier to handle in the code with a new method entirely. A drop-select that goes on every map setup that determines maximum era. Then we can simply make all things dependent within the code with a couple of additional filters.

It's just not a project I'm up for at the moment since there's more pressing tasks afoot.

Top Bottom