Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

EU4 art was used to make all the culture flag buttons, I think.
I don't have that game anymore.
@raxo2222 do you have a game like EU4 that has art for flags? Can you post?

Last I played C2C it was 40.7. In the current version, 42.1, I'm now noticing that my so far favorite Civ4 mapscript, SmartMap, has a different size. Has it been changed in any way ?

I'm also asking, since I remember SmartMap working less well with this Civ4 mod before (maps oft turning out to have too few climates/biomes), perhaps there have been any improvements 🤔

Has it been changed in any way ?
I remember SmartMap working less well with this Civ4 mod before
It's still basically the 2009 version, without Temudjin and Terkhen refinement. I notified Toffer that it's outdated, but he hasn't had time to try integrating a fresher version yet.
(maps oft turning out to have too few climates/biomes)
You have to use Terrain: Standard and Features: Standard to have non-vanilla ones, but doing so cuts off some major components like SM's own rivers procedure.

Last edited:
I notified Toffer that it's outdated, but he hasn't had time to try integrating a fresher version yet.
Maybe we can just send him some coin, so he takes a day off at the work and does the deed ? :rolleyes:

P.s. I hope it wasn't against the rules to suggest, err, donations 🥺

Really enjoying this latest version. I had the setting on emperor difficulty, with eons and giant for a first game, with raging barbarians and barbarian world, but that was too easy, as I think the other civs got swarmed by barbs, and I was already over the domination limit before the classical age. I then started a new game with nightmare difficulty, eternity, and gigantic map, with normal barbarians It's been very cool, money is tight, building choices matter, traits hugely matter, conquering cities is surprisingly difficult, so for once expansion is becoming a real challenge. I'm also enjoying the rogues and stalkers. I can't see enemy rogues -- don't have the promotions to get both types of spotting on my own rogues etc, but my ambushers have been able to take down an enemy doom stack through carefully waging a guerilla war campaign as they tried to make their way through the forests east of my border. The AI still has the customary weaknesses, doesn't know how to surround, etc. Still, it's a real fun game so far. The only problem is that turn times are already very noticeable, and I'm still only in the Ancient era. Thank you all and keep up the good work!

Question about cultures: I am playing as the Chinese, and I've conquered 3 Hittite cities and founded a 4th one. I can build Middle Eastern settlers but not wonders. Also, after a while, my conquered cities have become100% Chinese through growth and I lose the ME culture. I know there is a way to get both Asian/Middle Eastern in all cities, but how?

Question:
I'm currently playing a Snail-Speed Emperor Game on a a Huge Terra in the early medieval period as the Mexican Republic.
I've recently begun establishing colonies on smaller islands and the distance costs are kicking quite heavily, but I've noticed something else as well which I can't explain. Whenever I hurry a building, my gold income decreases by between 20 to 60 GpT, and doesn't really rise back up to the old level. This effect has led to me losing by now about 1000 GpT as I've hurried a number of buildings in the colonies to make them usable that much earlier and I can't quite understand it. Also, apparently my income increases the more gold I have, which seems inverse to how I'd assume the money model to work, even if I'm only at coinage and "Inflation" is only given for much later civics.

What am I missing here? Has Hurrying Production as an early republic a hidden/undocumented GpT Cost?

Question:
I'm currently playing a Snail-Speed Emperor Game on a a Huge Terra in the early medieval period as the Mexican Republic.
I've recently begun establishing colonies on smaller islands and the distance costs are kicking quite heavily, but I've noticed something else as well which I can't explain. Whenever I hurry a building, my gold income decreases by between 20 to 60 GpT, and doesn't really rise back up to the old level. This effect has led to me losing by now about 1000 GpT as I've hurried a number of buildings in the colonies to make them usable that much earlier and I can't quite understand it. Also, apparently my income increases the more gold I have, which seems inverse to how I'd assume the money model to work, even if I'm only at coinage and "Inflation" is only given for much later civics.

What am I missing here? Has Hurrying Production as an early republic a hidden/undocumented GpT Cost?
Inflation may still be taking place?
Hi all, the Primitive Technology guy on YouTube has started up again. The latest episode has him making a pottery wheel from clay then making a pot on it. Remember he does not say anything so if you want to know what is going on turn on closed captions.
Good to see ya DH!

I've been wondering what your thoughts on the Netflix show Ancient Apocalypse are or if you'd seen it yet.

Good to see ya DH!

I've been wondering what your thoughts on the Netflix show Ancient Apocalypse are or if you'd seen it yet.
My TV died two or three years ago and I have not missed it ;-). I did figure out a couple of weeks ago that I could get Netflix on my new tablet but haven't done anything about it yet.

edit: however one of the history channels I watch has just put up a 2 hour critique covering every episode.

Last edited:
My TV died two or three years ago and I have not missed it ;-). I did figure out a couple of weeks ago that I could get Netflix on my new tablet but haven't done anything about it yet.

edit: however one of the history channels I watch has just put up a 2 hour critique covering every episode.
Oh I'm sure there will be attacks on it from the more established community as the whole show is a declaration of war on the established historical view. It would be interesting to hear from someone who can speak for both sides to help explain a more impartial take on how one could interpret the details he's brought up because in some places, I think he's right that the data shows we don't have the whole picture in a neat little bun with what we like to think we have figured out right now and there does seem to be a sort of hushed pall over the whole thing like they're embarrassed and don't want to admit they are wrong until they HAVE a new model that ties our data together better. I'm kinda liking his overall proposal but see a few places where it sounds like some overstatements being made in his outlook, which would be natural for 'television'. There are also some questions I'd have about how multidisciplinary observations may support or deny but more, how it might shed light on alternative ways to interpret things. Anyhow, quite fascinating stuff and I'd be just as interested in seeing what the show you found says. (Sometimes, perhaps often, debunkers are worse at displaying confirmation bias than the pseudo-scientist they're trying to debunk.)

Oh I'm sure there will be attacks on it from the more established community as the whole show is a declaration of war on the established historical view. It would be interesting to hear from someone who can speak for both sides to help explain a more impartial take on how one could interpret the details he's brought up because in some places, I think he's right that the data shows we don't have the whole picture in a neat little bun with what we like to think we have figured out right now and there does seem to be a sort of hushed pall over the whole thing like they're embarrassed and don't want to admit they are wrong until they HAVE a new model that ties our data together better. I'm kinda liking his overall proposal but see a few places where it sounds like some overstatements being made in his outlook, which would be natural for 'television'. There are also some questions I'd have about how multidisciplinary observations may support or deny but more, how it might shed light on alternative ways to interpret things. Anyhow, quite fascinating stuff and I'd be just as interested in seeing what the show you found says. (Sometimes, perhaps often, debunkers are worse at displaying confirmation bias than the pseudo-scientist they're trying to debunk.)
No attack, no debunking, a critique.

He (SM) first makes sure that everyone understands that what GH means by "advanced civilization" is not what many mean, ie GH is not talking about technology per se. SM then points out his two main problems with GH's theories, ie humans are prone to partake of sex and eating (my wording). SM then points out that GH's methodology is very similar to many Biblical scholar's methodology and thus has some of the same problems and criticisms laid on it. SM is not an archaeologist but his field of study (and work?, need to check this) is the neolithic.

After that introduction SM goes through each episode pointing out problems with the presentation that weaken GH's arguments. For example, GH says that modern archaeologists are dogmatic but almost every interview in the show shows exactly the opposite. The archaeologists are willing to say "I/we don't know" and will change their mind when presented with new evidence. The even discuss why the evidence causes them to change their minds.

The video was over 2 hours long so I don't remember every point. I do remember SM agreeing on some points of GH's discussion but as this was a critique not a debunking he did not go in depth.

In the last(?) episode, ie the one on golbekli tepe GH says a couple of things which contradict his claim about the place. He says that it was built without any examples of smaller and simpler buildings by the same people thus the skills and ideas must come from foreigners and yet he then goes on to show earlier and simpler buildings that show a progression towards the pinnacle that is golbekli tepe. The second is GH saying that they didn't build any more after because it was not them that built it. If you look at many European towns today you will see that the largest building in the town is one that was built between the 13th and 16th century, a cathedral. Heck, the biggest building in the village I lived in back in the 1960's before moving to Australia was a church that contains parts built in the 11th century. It is still the biggest building but it has been extended and renovated just like golbekli tepe was. You don't need to build a new one if the old one will suffice with a little bit or remodeling.

Final note by SM harped back to his initial comment on humans being keen on sex and food - We have (hard) archaeological evidence from one ocean spanning civilization, the Polynesians. We have DNA evidence moving east into South America, and we have sweet potatoes moving west from South America across the Pacific Ocean. Why is there no similar evidence for GH's theory?

Why is there no similar evidence for GH's theory?
I think the answer to that may lie in the absolute apocalyptic aspect of the 'flood' event he points to but that's where I wonder if there is enough global geological evidence to support that. I've caught on for a long time that MOST cultures in the world have this history to relate and it has thus never sat well with me to say it was only a mesopotamian event. Still, you make a very good point about the genetic lineage tracing, which then suggests there may be yet something else to explain some of these interrelationships between disconnected societies.

Last edited:
modern archaeologists are dogmatic but almost every interview in the show shows exactly the opposite. The archaeologists are willing to say "I/we don't know" and will change their mind when presented with new evidence. The even discuss why the evidence causes them to change their minds.
Just wanna pitch in my own two cents:
This attitude is very good on the surface, but helps zilch when you start by limiting the type of evidence to something that directly supports the status quo.
Taking the Flood as the perfect example of this, there is a reason ("non-status-quo-scientific", but that's the point) to think that it was much more catastrophic than merely flooding itself.
Namely, that the whole "physics-as-we-know-it" stopped working for a whole year (again, it goes strictly against the "scientific-status-quo" that would never allow for such an assumption).
Which means that any data that seems to "predate the Flood" is in fact corrupted or outright false.
Once again, this goes 100% contrary to the "scientific-status-quo" of "nature laws never pause", and thus NO "respected scientists" would EVER take this assumption into consideration.
It's simply "outside of their comfort zone AS scientists", and thus is discarded (or ridiculed) at the onset.
But that's precisely the problem with the "scientific-status-quo" and "scientists being open-minded" - the former totally disables the latter in such cases.
It's either/or, or you allow for "non-scientific data" to be approached as if it is "scientific", or you will always invariably get the same "results" from the same set of "status-quo data" being used.
It's just how it is, and it's not limited to just the Flood.
"Science" is a "self-fulfilling prophecy" of its own, whenever used in the "status-quo" frame.
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind (yeah, right, lol), but I do try to make people at least realize these automatic limitations in "science".
/rant

So bunch of higher beings (or long lived time travellers) messed with Earth from hyperspace?
This is possible as event in Caveman2Cosmos :D

So bunch of higher beings (or long lived time travellers) messed with Earth from hyperspace?
This is possible as event in Caveman2Cosmos :D
Yeah, the latter third of the Tech Tree is... boring as of right now, indeed.
But I'm rather waiting for Alien Civs from Other Planets, mind you.

Yeah, the latter third of the Tech Tree is... boring as of right now, indeed.
But I'm rather waiting for Alien Civs from Other Planets, mind you.
I was working on an optional "War of the Worlds" event to happen sometime in early industrial era but could not find suitable graphics. The main purpose of the event was to slow the leading nations while giving the nations furthest behind a sudden boost.

Just wanna pitch in my own two cents:
This attitude is very good on the surface, but helps zilch when you start by limiting the type of evidence to something that directly supports the status quo.
Taking the Flood as the perfect example of this, there is a reason ("non-status-quo-scientific", but that's the point) to think that it was much more catastrophic than merely flooding itself.
Namely, that the whole "physics-as-we-know-it" stopped working for a whole year (again, it goes strictly against the "scientific-status-quo" that would never allow for such an assumption).
Which means that any data that seems to "predate the Flood" is in fact corrupted or outright false.
Once again, this goes 100% contrary to the "scientific-status-quo" of "nature laws never pause", and thus NO "respected scientists" would EVER take this assumption into consideration.
It's simply "outside of their comfort zone AS scientists", and thus is discarded (or ridiculed) at the onset.
But that's precisely the problem with the "scientific-status-quo" and "scientists being open-minded" - the former totally disables the latter in such cases.
It's either/or, or you allow for "non-scientific data" to be approached as if it is "scientific", or you will always invariably get the same "results" from the same set of "status-quo data" being used.
It's just how it is, and it's not limited to just the Flood.
"Science" is a "self-fulfilling prophecy" of its own, whenever used in the "status-quo" frame.
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind (yeah, right, lol), but I do try to make people at least realize these automatic limitations in "science".
/rant
The critique was if you are saying A is true it is better for your case not to show a bunch of A is false, unless you then prove them to be wrong.

As to your rant - my simplified understanding of what you are saying is "Why can't we use a basketball in chess?". The answer is then "Because that would make it something that is not chess.". Rough I know.

The critique was if you are saying A is true it is better for your case not to show a bunch of A is false, unless you then prove them to be wrong.

As to your rant - my simplified understanding of what you are saying is "Why can't we use a basketball in chess?". The answer is then "Because that would make it something that is not chess.". Rough I know.
This implies chess can't be modified to be played with baskets, because... why not?
In other words, my "rant" can be simplified to: "science isn't limited to what scientists want it to be, but it is typically censured to never challenge the status quo that is pushed for by them".
And let's leave it at that, because I don't want to start an ACTUAL argument on this topic here.

This implies chess can't be modified to be played with baskets, because... why not?
In other words, my "rant" can be simplified to: "science isn't limited to what scientists want it to be, but it is typically censured to never challenge the status quo that is pushed for by them".
And let's leave it at that, because I don't want to start an ACTUAL argument on this topic here.
Sorry, I woke up with, and still have, a splitting headache which looks like it is turning into a migraine. There are lots of games called chess. The one that uses a donut (doughnut) shaped board with four lanes, while old 10-12th C., is different.

Top Bottom