Caveman 2 Cosmos

The 512mb is most likely the culprit. My HD 4650 had 512 DDR2 and was good until version 18 then I started getting graphics crashes. Went to a R6450 with 2GB DDR3 and has been fine so far. Got the card for $69 @Newegg. Don't know if Newegg sells in the down under land though? Hmmm.

JosEPh

Got 512MB myself and since the show building change I never got an MAF/video memory error/DX crash on large map well into Industrial era. Playing now for around 2000 turns on giant and no crash either.

Didn't SO post a few pages back how to properly set up nVidia cards for C2C? At least, I think it was nVidia. I still bet though a driver will help.

I have the latest drivers.

Maybe I got a bad one. Every now and then I need to reboot the machine because the graphics glitch affects everything else. EG no thumbnails display here. Title bar on every window application is transparent.

@DH,
Is the vid card overheating? Good air flow thru PC? Adequate fans? Card seated fully in PCI slot?

JosEPh

Maybe I got a bad one. Every now and then I need to reboot the machine because the graphics glitch affects everything else. EG no thumbnails display here. Title bar on every window application is transparent.

Yeah you have a decent card, just dont understand mainly whats going on, when was the last time you did a defragment and error fixing on your PC?

Where can I activate multiple production? Great mod, by the way. Looks like it took a LOT of time to make.

Start custom game/custom scenario - it is a game option in the lower right (scroll down quite a bit).

And the mod isn't finished yet. everybody - playtester or coder - is welcome to help to continuously improve it. Have fun! :viking:

Where can I activate multiple production? Great mod, by the way. Looks like it took a LOT of time to make.

You go custom game - when you are starting. There all the modmod options are listed.

Yes it is bad, :) its 5 years old.. :mischief:
Go here:

Fyshwick Branch
75-77 Collie Street, Fyshwick, ACT 2609
M-F: 10:30AM-6:30PM
Sat: 10:30AM-2:00PM
Tel: (02) 6239 1011
email: fyshwick@msy.com.au

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

buy one of these perhaps
ATI
1G 6790 HIS $122
or a newer model-
1GB 770 Sapphire / Powercolor / HIS / Gigabyte / Asus $162 /$160 /$162 /$169 /$181
Or Nvidia Chipset
1G GTX550 Gainward /Inno3D / Gigabyte / Asus $116 /$119 /$124 /$128

Think about it, is your time worth $120?

CPU

Intel i5-2500 - $202

Hey guys! Nice to see you all again. We recently downloaded the latest SVN update and started up a new hotseat game and I must say... I'm really impressed with all you've done since I was last here.

Sorry for vanishing for a bit (again) but we went down to one computer for a long time there and it has made finding time for being online in any fashion pretty rough (as well as even playing the game as hotseat is... erm... slow.)

So we've been taking a bit of a break from civ entirely. And admittedly, work is picking up and time is still a bit squeezed. But we've been finding some time to play lately so I'll be coming in and making some commentary and feedback more frequently now. As for doing much on the modding side... I'm not sure I can fit much in at the moment but we'll see. Historically, the more I play, the more I want to help with the modding itself. I know last time I wanted to do a lot more than I found I actually could.

But anyhow, so far, wow. So much improved balance, expansion on units and game features... it just keeps getting better and better! The crime system is really neat the way we have it now. The scouting/hunting progression is really quite perfect and the variety of animals and what you can now do with them is really wonderful. The heroes and culture developments are greatly improved. The new early naval units are a great touch. The AI is greatly improved and the game dynamics as a whole is really just a continuing perfecting masterpiece. All in all, I'm in awe of how many ideas I've sent forward have been implemented and put in play perfectly.

Reading through the forums I'm seeing a lot of interesting debates and concepts which I may chime in on soon... still trying to catch up and figure out what is currently an issue and what is not. Once I have a more clear idea I'll have more to say I'm sure.

DH... quitting the team to go your own way without expressing what we should be working on to get ourselves 'back on the rails'? Really? That would seem a tragic way for us to go considering I've always thought the teamwork here was so much of what makes this mod so amazing and have always considered you a big part of the core of that team. This mod still has a lot of tweaking yet to go I'm sure, and a lot of potential for constant expansive growth in concepts. It would be rough for the team to lose you buddy!

Anyhow, I'll start making some points here and there but I just wanted to preface any of that with a 'glad to be back' message first. You guys have been doing an amazing job!

So is anyone going to mail DH a 4 core processor and a bunch of ram. :) I bought a 1 gig graphic card for 110 and it clocks 900gpu. I wish I could help but I am poor myself. I finally got a job though so maybe sometime I could help when I catch things up.

So is anyone going to mail DH a 4 core processor and a bunch of ram. :) I bought a 1 gig graphic card for 110 and it clocks 900gpu. I wish I could help but I am poor myself. I finally got a job though so maybe sometime I could help when I catch things up.

A 4 core processor would help him precisely not at all. Civ is utterly dingle-threaded.

A 4 core processor would help him precisely not at all. Civ is utterly dingle-threaded.

ok. So a video card then and some ram? I do notice though that with the dual core on this mod the turns where a lot slower as opposed to the 4 core which seemed to be much faster on turn waits. But maybe that has to do with ddr2 ram vs dd3 ram. So video card then he needs?

At the moment I would go with AMDs Radeon 7750 if there are no games like Bf3/Crysis involved. Very low power consumption in 2D, good overall speed and not too expensive. If there are games that need a little more power then the 7850.

If Civ4 can actually make use of 2GB graphics RAM then older cards like 6670 with 2GB are an option although that comes at a price. They use low clock GDDR3 memory instead of GDDR5 (or GDDR3 with higher clock) and are thereby often slower than their 1GB counterparts.

Nvidia cards comparable to 7750/7850 are GTX550 Ti or GTX560 (this card has a ****load of different versions, thx nvidia). In a few months Nvidia will release new low and midrange cards of their new Kepler chip which are on par with AMDs 7xxx series.

Nvidia cards comparable to 7750/7850 are GTX550 Ti or GTX560 (this card has a ****load of different versions, thx nvidia). In a few months Nvidia will release new low and midrange cards of their new Kepler chip which are on par with AMDs 7xxx series.

I have the nvidia 2 GB GT 540M (with up to 3765 MB turbocache) in my laptop and it runs very well, there is nearly no speed difference to turns if firefox and VLC video running at same time with Civ4 GEM. Only had 2-3 CTD/MAFs the last months.

Top Bottom