Caveman 2 Cosmos

Sorry about dragging up an old topic but for a while now, I have been frustrated by the large number of animals that spawn in the Prehistoric Age. I found your reply DH and was wondering if there was a reason the default spawn rate is set at "200"?

I was going to change this to "100" - am I right in assuming this will decrease the number of animals running around the map early in the game?

Thanks.

@aob86 There are values in the file A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.XML found in the Assets/XML folder that will change the spawn rage globally for animals and Neanderthals.
  • NEANDERTHAL_SPAWN_MODIFIER - Neanderthals
  • ANIMAL_SPAWN_MODIFIER - land animals and birds
  • SEA_ANIMAL_SPAWN_MODIFIER - critters of the sea
  • BANDIT_SPAWN_MODIFIER - not used yet
  • KILLERRABBIT_SPAWN_MODIFIER - not used yet

The number is a percentage. Lower it to lower the number spawning.

Sorry about dragging up an old topic but for a while now, I have been frustrated by the large number of animals that spawn in the Prehistoric Age. I found your reply DH and was wondering if there was a reason the default spawn rate is set at "200"?

I was going to change this to "100" - am I right in assuming this will decrease the number of animals running around the map early in the game?

Thanks.
Spoiler :

@aob86 There are values in the file A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.XML found in the Assets/XML folder that will change the spawn rage globally for animals and Neanderthals.

Yes, a smaller value is what you want.

Yes, a smaller value is what you want.

Maybe I need to go in and give us two globals for each of those, one for Peace Among NPCs and one for default. What do you think?

Sounds good, but maybe we also need to be able to adjust predators-creatures-beast independently from each other as well.

That's an excellent idea. A tag on CivilizationInfos for iSpawnRateModifier (and another for iSpawnRateNPCPeaceModifier) should accomplish that perfectly imo.

That's an excellent idea. A tag on CivilizationInfos for iSpawnRateModifier (and another for iSpawnRateNPCPeaceModifier) should accomplish that perfectly imo.

Then we would need two of that tag for CivilizationInfo, as the spawn ratio between aggressive and passive animals has to be different for "peace among NPC" than for "war among NPC".

Then we would need two of that tag for CivilizationInfo, as the spawn ratio between aggressive and passive animals has to be different for "peace among NPC" than for "war among NPC".

Correct, which is why I added:
me said:
(and another for iSpawnRateNPCPeaceModifier)

Might not have been actually... I did edit it in later, but when you quoted it it was already. lol. I guess I'm playing games with ya ;) One tired head messin' with another :lol:

Thanks.

Well... this is interesting. Apparently these modifiers play no role in spawning at all. They are not playing a role in the dll at all from what I can see.

As a result, it's going to take a bit more evaluating to figure out where to plug in such a modifier.

Another side effect is that these modifiers, unless they are reporting to something taking place in python perhaps, are not making any difference whatsoever at this moment.
Scratch that... I see how it was setup. Not the standard method for global defines. And the way it's setup I cannot make 2 sets for a given type. BUT I CAN work the tags we were discussing for CivilizationInfos.

Well... this is interesting. Apparently these modifiers play no role in spawning at all. They are not playing a role in the dll at all from what I can see.

As a result, it's going to take a bit more evaluating to figure out where to plug in such a modifier.

Another side effect is that these modifiers, unless they are reporting to something taking place in python perhaps, are not making any difference whatsoever at this moment.

Haha, no, there's no reference to them in any python file either.
The power of imagination is strong.

Thanks.

Those values. NEANDERTHAL_SPAWN_MODIFIER etc., are used in the XML in the spawn rate modifier tag. They are not used in the dll beyond it reading the key and plugging in the value from the global define. We originally had numbers there but then decided to have a set of global defines to make it easier to do gross balancing.

Since the animals have split it might be better to have 3 instead of the one now, but I'll leave that up to you.

The main thing is that it lets the player tailor the experience eg I play without neanderthals because I set the value to zero.

Those values. NEANDERTHAL_SPAWN_MODIFIER etc., are used in the XML in the spawn rate modifier tag. They are not used in the dll beyond it reading the key and plugging in the value from the global define. We originally had numbers there but then decided to have a set of global defines to make it easier to do gross balancing.

Since the animals have split it might be better to have 3 instead of the one now, but I'll leave that up to you.

The main thing is that it lets the player tailor the experience eg I play without neanderthals because I set the value to zero.
Yeah... I figured it out how it was setup. It was so unique to our code that it's a new trick I've not seen before, so it took me a bit longer than it should've to have traced how the coding worked out because of a lack of suspicion that it would've been setup like this.

But yeah, I get it. Brilliant really... allows you to define a new define however you wish. But if I'm not mistaken, you can only apply one global define to a given spawn info right? That's the only downside... if it had been setup to take potentially multiple modifiers it would've been nice. I could set it up that way but... meh. Not necessary at this time.

WARNING

Of the New Animal Options Do Not use (Check the box(es)) for "Stay Out" and "Reckless Animals" in Same game. They will cause a CTD during Loading process.

In my testing (which is not complete for all combinations) of these New Options these 2 together consistently produce CTD. If used separately, one used (box checked) the other not used (box Not checked), the games load fine.

JosEPh

WARNING

Of the New Animal Options Do Not use (Check the box(es)) for "Stay Out" and "Reckless Animals" in Same game. They will cause a CTD during Loading process.

In my testing (which is not complete for all combinations) of these New Options these 2 together consistently produce CTD. If used separately, one used (box checked) the other not used (box Not checked), the games load fine.

JosEPh

Could not replicate this. There must be other factors that differ for us. I was able to initialize a game with both options on. Then play a few rounds. Then save the game. Then load the game. Play a round or two. Etc... no problem found unfortunately.

I've had saves being unable to load on latest SVN with both "Stay Out" and "Reckless Animals" OFF. I think it has something to do with Neanderthal cities being bugged. when it happened to me last I went back one and one autosave until I hit one that worked, turned out that one was the turn before a neanderthal city was spawned and revealed on the map.

The ones I've talked about 2 had neanderthal cities On and 2 did not.

But every time I put Stay Out On and then Put Reckless Animals On I can't get past the setup screen while loading. I once got to right before the Turn 0 screen once the green bar in the Loading popup filled in.

Now Stay Out with N. Cities loads for me. Same with Reckless Animals and N.City. Just can't put SO and RA On at same time.

JosEPh

Could not replicate this. There must be other factors that differ for us. I was able to initialize a game with both options on. Then play a few rounds. Then save the game. Then load the game. Play a round or two. Etc... no problem found unfortunately.

T-Brd remember I'm not using any Combat Mod Options Or H&S when I post this.

If you are using all your CM Options, then it is a correlation between Not using Any CM and H&S with those two NPC Options On.

JosEPh

T-Brd remember I'm not using any Combat Mod Options Or H&S when I post this.

If you are using all your CM Options, then it is a correlation between Not using Any CM and H&S with those two NPC Options On.

JosEPh

Well that's what I'm saying. There's got to be more options at work so post the full, and I mean FULL, list of options you're using and I may be able to replicate.

I have some screen shots of Options lists at game start. But they are of the ones that work.

I will have to start an New game with my set up and these 2 NPC Options ON and hand write them all down before it CTDs. I probably won't get to it this week end. Grandkids are here until Tuesday night.

JosEPh

Top Bottom