Caveman 2 Cosmos

Do I feel some negative vibes here ;) ?

OK, the plot is showing what the unit is not showing. I never missed that information, though...
I'm merely pointing out factual errors, ya know.
And this one IS an error.
There's a reverse one as well:
On a plot with a forest and a wheat, it doesn't say that you need the tech for cutting the forest in order to get to that wheat (but I think it doe say it on the task button).
The point is that these types of erroneous info can easily distract people enough to send workers to plots they can't currently work the right way.
Not the end of the world (or even the game) - but it IS annoying to me, because I hate needing to be smarter than the damn TOOLTIP, lol.

Hunters should be able to use the assassinate command to do so. Interesting we're seeing them inside cities now so some have been updated to be able to be able to - that's cool.
The animal didnt walk into my city though. Actually i founded my city ontop of the animal being there already.
I dont have an assassinate action on my hunter though. I thought i would need to use the option on game setup for that, too.

The animal didnt walk into my city though. Actually i founded my city ontop of the animal being there already.
I dont have an assassinate action on my hunter though. I thought i would need to use the option on game setup for that, too.
hmm... ah... yeah if you don't have Without Warning, you probably can't do it.

Why is there a hotkey that makes you automatically lose the game?
Seems pretty weird, just instantly lost and had to reload from a previous save due to a mistouch while alt-tabbing.

I've had a couple of strange things (possible bugs) turn up in the last few days.

1. I recently had the Military Great Person counter count down to 0. I was due for a Great General, but I got nothing. There was no "Great General was born in [city]." The counter for Great General points reset to zero, but no Great General.

2. For the last ten turns or so, I've had many instances where my units defeated barbarian or Neanderthal units, and the message "You have captured a military unit (Captive - Military)", but no military captive appeared. Possibly related, I have a military captive in my capital (Washington DC) with a "Leo" promotion. I've never seen a zodiac promotion on a captive before, and I think it just appeared in Washington, as opposed to my having to move it there. Also, it shows up at the beginning of the units list, while the rest of the captives are at the end.

Is this an indication the file has been corrupted?

Here's a save file:

Edit to add: I think I've identified the problem. I seem to have been bumping up against a limitation on number of units. I had over 8,000 subdued animals. I eliminated a few hundred of them (added to cultural heritage), and I now seem able to take captives again.

Is there a limitation on numbers of units?

Attachments

• Dad July 27, BC-10564.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Edit to add: I think I've identified the problem. I seem to have been bumping up against a limitation on number of units. I had over 8,000 subdued animals. I eliminated a few hundred of them (added to cultural heritage), and I now seem able to take captives again.

Is there a limitation on numbers of units?
Yeah, each civ can have only 8192 units.

This is limitation from vanilla.

Caveman2Cosmos v41.2 is released!
3/14/2021

Half a year of bugfixes and a new Advanced Routes option. A final release for v41 before we dive into making saves incompatible again.

Download today!

Glad to see the ongoing releases and updates. How is the AI doing in comparison now in terms of expansion? I've been playing a game on Monarch difficulty and the some Civs are really shy at expanding. Playing with 14 civs, some have 4-5 cities at beginning of the Ancient Era and many still have only 1 city (their original one!, with a settler waiting inside). No Neanderthal civs, only a few Barbarian cities scattered throughout gigantic map. I'm at mid-Ancient era tech now and just slightly above Domination Victory population status.

My theory is that the NPC civs are afraid of the various animals civs (Green Man, etc.) and treat them as threats just like any other civ...so it limits their expansion. Any thoughts? I've seen this in discussions on other parts of the forum, where the AI fails to expand, but this behavior by the AI has not changed much over the years. It's improved only a bit over the year of your SVN releases. Is there a way for the animal civs to not threaten the normal AI civs so that only the barbarian and neanderthals AI are a threat to them? Do you think this might help them in not being shy about expanding?

The AI's been expanding fine in my Nightmare(ish) Mali game (which is probably 3 or 4 weeks behind the most recent commit). Japan has 24 cities as of 500AD vs my 19, and the Zulus even sailed from their "Australia" continent to colonize my continent in the Ancient era. HRE also had a bunch of cities even in prehistory, but I'm playing with revolutions so they've been cut down quite a bit. That's not counting the powers in the "new world", who I assume have at least 10 cities each based on their relative power levels.

Probably best not to make generalizations based on a single game. I've found quite a bit of variety in how AI plays in my five v40+ games so far. Seems to depend a lot on what sort of map you're playing on, difficulty and probably some sort of random element.

Hey people, can anybody please tell me if it is possible to convert salt flats into something else? Wanna build a mountain city but got boned by terrain generation (can't build cities on deserts/salt flats)

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Yeah later in the game you can. Way later. Interesting strategy to accompany the settler with hunting units btw.
Yeah, they are one of the few early-game units with 2-speed to match the settler.

Guess my industrial mountain city will have to wait till Climate Control :sad:

Hey people, can anybody please tell me if it is possible to convert salt flats into something else? Wanna build a mountain city but got boned by terrain generation (can't build cities on deserts/salt flats)
Your question isn't correlating with your screenshot.
The darkened CITY picture *usually* means that it's too close to another city, not that the terrain forbids building it.
In the latter case you don't get the CITY picture altogether in the first place.
But your case looks WEIRD, to be honest.
Unless there's a hidden city right to the left from the mountain square, which is why you get a darkened CITY picture.
Anyways, unless I'm somehow wrong (but I doubt it), this is a signal of "too close", not "wrong terrain".

Last edited:
Guess my industrial mountain city will have to wait till Climate Control :sad:
You may be able to settle at least near there earlier; Architecture (or a tech near it) allows settling on mountains, which is a good few eras sooner. Another option would be to see if you can build a farm that spreads irrigation to the rocky tile currently marked as '2' in your image, as freshwater ought to allow the terrain to be settled. Rocky terrain might be unavailable to be farmed though, can't recall.
Anyways, unless I'm somehow wrong (but I doubt it), this is a signal of "too close", not "wrong terrain".
I believe you're thinking of terrain that's completely invalid, i.e. water. Terrain that can be settled if conditions are met (Salt Flats, if there is a source of fresh water, as in the screenshot) should also have the darkened icon, whose mouseover tooltip when the settler is on the tile will inform you of the missing condition(s).

Top Bottom