Caveman 2 Cosmos

Well I finally got a victory in C2C after a good bit of time. Got it by conquest on a gigantic map of all things. Everyone willingly became my vassal as soon as I researched vassalage. I got this on 42.1, but I am going to put 43 back on and try it again. I'll just have to change things up a bit for now when it is time for war. Other than the culture issue, 43 looked good. It seemed to be faster and I like the way city selection works now. Knowing the last things built in them can be helpful.

Well I finally got a victory in C2C after a good bit of time. Got it by conquest on a gigantic map of all things. Everyone willingly became my vassal as soon as I researched vassalage. I got this on 42.1, but I am going to put 43 back on and try it again. I'll just have to change things up a bit for now when it is time for war. Other than the culture issue, 43 looked good. It seemed to be faster and I like the way city selection works now. Knowing the last things built in them can be helpful.
Nice.

Some may not like the AI being smarter but I am enjoying it in Ver 43 a lot. Everybody is expanding very nicely for a change and it's fun. I see more workers out and about too and I'm having a good time using stalkers to capture them for use in my civ. I'm seeing more hunters and scouts too. Nerfing the goody huts helps too because I had been getting units I really had no business getting that early. Being lucky with the huts was letting me get way ahead of everyone. I need to go start another game and put the barbarians in and see how they do in 43. If they are as good as the civs are now, I'll have my hands full.

@Blazenclaw maybe you can expand on why culture decay so slowly since you rewrote the culture mechanic?
Short answer is basically I didn't get that input from discord users who tested it ^.^;
Spoiler Expected outcome... :

1674763123719.png

The idea was that after 5 turns with no culture input, the amount of culture should've been ~50% of what it was, meaning that if there were any conflicting culture in the first place the balance should've been tipped. After 10 turns, 35% of what it was, after 25 turns 7%, etc. If you're conquering a city in an area you have zero cultural influence in, and there are other cities near it, it kinda should be the case that it's very hard to return to your culture. Granted, falling all the way to zero would be a bit hard if it was just 10% which is why there's a flat reduction as well.

In the pic, there are some example values of how I'd calculated it (normal gamespeed), you can see it does relatively quickly fall such that if you conquer a city and get it producing culture again soon, it really should win so long as there's not other sources (nearby cities) that take over the slack. Maybe the value should've been higher, ~25%? But Toffer's solution works too, so *shrug*.
Spoiler Here's 25% for reference :
1674763640013.png

Maybe the decay rate could be proportional to the amount of culture in the space, if that isn't the case already?
Was already the case ~10% value per turn, but Toffer's added a change (currently in testing) so that it does significantly more decay if no culture was added on that turn.

Is there any solution to the out-of-memory problem in the mod?
It's very difficult to play without using save/load

Is there any solution to the out-of-memory problem in the mod?
It's very difficult to play without using save/load
1. Auto-save exists and does it behind the scene, unless you deliberately turned it OFF. So, while I agree it being very annoying, you aren't exactly losing more than 3-4 turns per ERROR.
2. Don't play Gigantic maps with 40 civs. Yes, this IS why I never finish Pit's Earth map, or at least not with Barbs ON.
3. Use the newest version, if you already don't. The difference between 42 and 43 might be quite significant.

Is it possible to hide the resource under the city tile in the mod? like in vanilla civilization

Last edited:
I finally figured out what is going on with the culture during war now. I had not been looking at all the info on the main map where it shows percentage of culture. I see that once you get to 51% culture the plot changes over to you. Still not sure exactly what influences it except having units on the square and winning battles. It is still slow, but at least I have some idea what to do now.

I finally figured out what is going on with the culture during war now. I had not been looking at all the info on the main map where it shows percentage of culture. I see that once you get to 51% culture the plot changes over to you. Still not sure exactly what influences it except having units on the square and winning battles. It is still slow, but at least I have some idea what to do now.
Nearby city output and manned forts are the primary ways culture is influenced on a tile.

Would bards help? I never have used them.
Oh yeah. They have missions to work like mini-Great Artists to do works that give culture blasts and sometimes, too rarely imo, they even survive these efforts. They can also be used, if fixed properly, to tone down chances of revolt simply by being present, but so can LE units. There are buildups and promos to support this usage so that you should be able to even safely maintain an out of revolt city that's completely swallowed by enemy culture still, usually so that you can hold onto such cities until your armies can free up more culture coming from other established cities around the target of discussion. The Great Work mission also reduces local revolt rounds so it's kinda assumed you'll want lots of entertainers to follow up on conquests.

Oh yeah. They have missions to work like mini-Great Artists to do works that give culture blasts and sometimes, too rarely imo, they even survive these efforts. They can also be used, if fixed properly, to tone down chances of revolt simply by being present, but so can LE units. There are buildups and promos to support this usage so that you should be able to even safely maintain an out of revolt city that's completely swallowed by enemy culture still, usually so that you can hold onto such cities until your armies can free up more culture coming from other established cities around the target of discussion. The Great Work mission also reduces local revolt rounds so it's kinda assumed you'll want lots of entertainers to follow up on conquests.
Thanks. I'll try some of this when I get back into that game. The city in question now will not be too hard though since it belonged to the Neanderthals. I already have 7 tiles around it. Trying to take on an established civ will be tougher though.

By the way, the ai is much better in 43 than 42.1. They are expanding like crazy and it's lots of fun. Great job on that everyone.

Not sure if this is how it was in previous versions, but I noticed an oddity in my current v43.1 game. I just got into ancient age so gatherers became obsolete replaced by workers. However an enemy rogue destroyed a scavenging camp on a cow resource. The worker cannot build either a scavenging camp nor a nomadic herd. It can only construct a pasture which is greyed out until bronze working. Seems like there should be a way to construct lower tier improvements if the higher tier are ineligible but the lower are fine.

Seems like there should be a way to construct lower tier improvements if the higher tier are ineligible but the lower are fine.
Hm, thought I had left enough overlap in builds when I last sorted that out. Will check it tomorrow, thanks for report.

Iirc most builds disappear an era after the next one is available, so it should normally not be an issue. Lmk if you find other such things, though.

Ok found the issue. There was a forest on the plot and there were two remove vegetation options. One provided by slash and burn which does not give a production bonus and one provided by bronze working which does. The construct a pasture improvement appeared to be tied to the bronze working version. Therefore I could not directly create a pasture, but had to manually remove the forest on the plot and then construct the pasture.

Downside to that is you can make a scavenging camp with a forest intact and let it automatically upgrade to a pasture and preserve the forest for a plot bonus. Fairly inconsequential, but an interesting twist.

Thank you for this absolutely amazing mod that is clearly a work of love. I spotted a few bugs and issues while enjoying the game, and would like to offer suggestions for fixes that could help further refine it.

Assets/Modules/Thunderbird/Traits/C2C_TB_CIV4TraitInfos.xml

Excessive currently grants an increase to the birth rate of Great Statesmen, which seems like a bug. Excessive is supposed to be the counterpart of Efficient, and Efficient is what gives an increase to Great Statesmen birth rate, so Excessive should provide a decrease, not an increase, to the rate of birth of Great Statesmen. Applies to all 4 variants of the Excessive trait.

Assets/Modules/Cultures/Cultures_Cultural_CIV4UnitInfos.xml

UNIT_BALLESTER (Catalonian cultural unit) seems strictly worse than its non-culture-specific counterpart: the only difference seems to be the increased cost of the Ballester. I suggest giving it at least one free promotion.

Difficulty-based crime and education effects seem to be seriously messed up, with some difficulties currently having the opposite of their intended effect, among other issues.

Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4HandicapInfo.xml

Current (weird):

DifficultyCrimeEducation
Settler+1/pop+1/pop -3
Chieftain+3/pop +2+2/pop -3
Warlord+2/pop-1/pop
Noble+5/pop +2+3/pop -2
Prince+3/pop-2/pop
Monarch+7/pop +2+5/pop -2
Emperor+4/pop-3/pop
Immortal+9/pop +2+7/pop -2
Deity+5/pop-4/pop
Nightmare+6/pop-5/pop

Suggestion (standardized gradual increase in difficulty):

DifficultyCrimeEducation
Settler+1/pop-1/pop
Chieftain+2/pop-1/pop
Warlord+2/pop-2/pop
Noble+3/pop-2/pop
Prince+3/pop-3/pop
Monarch+4/pop-3/pop
Emperor+4/pop-4/pop
Immortal+5/pop-4/pop
Deity+5/pop-5/pop
Nightmare+6/pop-5/pop

Assets/XML/Buildings/Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

Ancient Embalmer should probably not have "Burial Tradition: Fire" as one of its potential requirements. Embalming ashes might be difficult.

Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml

The Larger Cities without Metropolitan Administration option grants 3-tile-wide work radius much much earlier than Metropolitan Administration would. I suggest increasing the influence requirement for 3-tile work radius with this option. With Realistic Culture Spread also enabled, this could just mean changing <iCityRadius>3</iCityRadius> to be granted at a cultural level of, for example, Impressive rather than Influential.

Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4HandicapInfo.xml

Receiving a full tech from a goody hut is insanely valuable. This contributes to the issue of a tech snowballing effect during the Ancient Era, where researching Sailing first (on any difficulty lower than Nightmare) means 2-5 free techs (!!) from grabbing numerous goody huts with explorer-type ships. This is the point where many of my games end because I gain an insurmountable tech advantage over AIs even on high difficulties. I suggest replacing all instances of GOODY_TECH above Settler difficulty with GOODY_HIGH_RESEARCH, which seems like a much more balanced option for providing a significant but reasonable research boost as a reward.

Buildable Cultures that grant access to unique Hero units as well as cultural units are generally a lot more valuable than those that only grant access to cultural units. This is because unique Hero units not only have military applications but can also provide significant long-term country-wide benefits via Achievements or joining cities. I suggest ensuring that the production costs of cultures that do not grant access to unique Hero units are lower than same-era cultures that grant access to unique Hero units.

The AI seems far too reluctant to declare war overall. I saw no wars being declared by any AI ever over two games (Long speed, Small maps, 8 rather than 6 starting civilizations, Immortal difficulty, Prehistoric start, ended by Classical Lifestyle due to my overwhelming economic lead). In particular, I saw a militarily strong AI being unable to expand due to a militarily weak AI bordering it and boxing it in, but despite bad relations due to religious differences, the small but strong civ never declared war on its large and weak neighbor, allowing the larger one to catch up economically and overtake it. I suggest increasing the opinion malus from close borders and/or increasing the probability of declaring war on a neighboring non-friendly civ while having a clear military superiority.

The AI does not seem to know how to save Great People to trigger Golden Ages at the right time to avoid Anarchy while changing civics. This means that AIs spend dozens more turns in anarchy than an astute player, the economic effect of which compounds over time. Teaching AIs how to time civic changes with triggered Golden Ages could be one option, but would probably be difficult to implement. As an alternative, I suggest a rule change that both helps level the playing field between players and AIs, and makes some historical sense: no civic changes during Golden Ages. The justification for this is that Golden Ages are times when society functions especially effectively; it is not a time when sweeping changes that upset the established order and upturn the fabric of society are occurring.

During the Prehistoric Era especially, AIs seem less efficient at collecting Folklore rewards than human players can be, which can make AIs gradually fall behind in terms of tech. To mitigate this issue, I suggest slightly increasing the research produced by tech-related buildings, slightly decreasing the research produced by Folklore buildings, or both.

Burial Tradition: Fire seems like a much worse option than the Earth or Air burial traditions. With flammability a serious issue early game, it is rarely if ever a good idea to take it, both for players and especially for AIs, who are not very good at dealing with flammability. I would suggest increasing its bonuses to make it a bit more competitive while retaining its distinctiveness.

Is Tech Diffusion affected by diplomatic treaties like Right of Passage and Open Borders, and/or border-related Civic choices? It would be cool if it was: it would present additional strategic options, like closing borders to try and preserve a tech lead, or opening borders and signing treaties to gain more tech diffusion while behind in research.

Current (weird):

DifficultyCrimeEducation
Settler+1/pop+1/pop -3
Chieftain+3/pop +2+2/pop -3
Warlord+2/pop-1/pop
Noble+5/pop +2+3/pop -2
Prince+3/pop-2/pop
Monarch+7/pop +2+5/pop -2
Emperor+4/pop-3/pop
Immortal+9/pop +2+7/pop -2
Deity+5/pop-4/pop
Nightmare+6/pop-5/pop

Suggestion (standardized gradual increase in difficulty):

DifficultyCrimeEducation
Settler+1/pop-1/pop
Chieftain+2/pop-1/pop
Warlord+2/pop-2/pop
Noble+3/pop-2/pop
Prince+3/pop-3/pop
Monarch+4/pop-3/pop
Emperor+4/pop-4/pop
Immortal+5/pop-4/pop
Deity+5/pop-5/pop
Nightmare+6/pop-5/pop
This is current scheme:

1675458849517.png

I spotted a few bugs and issues while enjoying the game, and would like to offer suggestions for fixes that could help further refine it.
Very good feedback, thank you ^.^
Will see about tweaking some things as a result, some is v easy to adjust.

I think based on what Toffer above me said, you might be playing on v43 proper (or earlier)? Based on your digging into the xml files, you may be interested in trying out the SVN build if you're still playing more, or checking out the discord (see sig) if that's your speed.

Top Bottom