CD not found error - (Read this for problems with CD drive after patching)

DarthS1d

Chieftain
Hey, I just found a solution to the CD not found error when starting Conquests - I was running ot from a normal DVD-ROM drive, and didn't have any virtual imaging software. I went to Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->IDE controller properties->Primary or Secondary channel, depending on where your optical drive is installed, and the drive access mode was "Multi Word DMA 2". I just changed it to "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33" and the game detected the CD! Not sure if this is a general solution or not, but hope it helps at least some people. It was driving me crazy not being able to play!

Thanks for the tip......but it won'T work in my case.

Here's my situation :
Just bought the Civ3 game. After playing a couple of weeks, I d/l the 1.29f patch, directly from the infoframes.com web site.

PAtch installed perfectly....but now, the game asks me to insert the CD-ROM in the drive. Problem is, IT IS in the drive. Can't get the game to work properly with the damn 1.29f patch.

I own the US version of the game and d/l the US patch.

Does anyone have a hint of HOW can I resolve this problem???

Cheers all

aargh... I am victim of the same problem, it would appear. Install CIV PTW from CD, no problems, can play.
Patch to 1.27f and it error's "Insert CD".

Wonder if the fact that I am using a DVD-RW drive is an issue?

Saw some mention made of "virtual drive" software - is the thinking that Daemon tool's may cause a problem? Disabled, but that didn't seem to help...

quick question:

Your civ3ptw127f.exe file : what size is it?

I have: 11757746 bytes, which is giving me the Insert CD issues.

Am D/L'ing a 7.31 MB version from www.uk.atari.com - this may solve my problem ? Thoughts?

Since I order my Civ3 a LOONG time ago, over the net, since we didn't get the local in South Africa, I am unsure of which version I have, UK or US. Any easy way to check?

ahah ... the 7.31MB patch is the correct one (for me).

happy days.

Is there a resolution or any suggestions for solving this?

I downloaded the Civilization Complete from a website and now after the 1.29 patch I am unable to even start the game as it asks for a CD which I simply do not have... :sad:

I'd hate to download some hacked 'no-cd patch' and get something in my computer that doesn't belong there...

Any suggestions from the computer savvy before I :suicide: ?

You shouldn't have patched it. If you still have the original d/l file of Civ Complete, reinstall it. Complete (and gold, for that matter) come fully patched. No need to apply any patches found on the net. You might be able to uninstall the patch.

Should another patch come out, you'll want to contact the people who sold you Civ Complete. They should have a special patch from Firaxis that will allow your version to patch.

Yeah, I just reinstalled and realized I was an idiot when I saw the patch version in the bottom left corner... :crazyeye:

Thanks. :)

I get the same error message about no CD in the drive. I just work around it by opening the drive and then closing it...the game comes right up then. :D

I have the same problem. I just joined, mainly because I thought my question would be answered, but since this topic is almost a year old and the problem hasn't been fixed. Does anyone know how to fix this? I bought Civ 3 with no expansions, but the game version was only 1.07, so I patched it to 1.29, and now it asks for the CD when it is in the drive. I have two optical drives, a DVD and a CD-RW, but neither works. Has any solution to this problem been found?

@CIV34ME:

Check out the file sizes, for your patch. I found that was my problem. I had UK Civ3, and it seems that:

The 11757746 byte civ3ptw127f.exe is for US version (which was giving me the Insert CD issues)

The 7.31 MB version from www.uk.atari.com - solved my problem - Thus I believe it is the UK version.

HTH

Wanderer said:
@CIV34ME:

Check out the file sizes, for your patch. I found that was my problem. I had UK Civ3, and it seems that:

The 11757746 byte civ3ptw127f.exe is for US version (which was giving me the Insert CD issues)

The 7.31 MB version from www.uk.atari.com - solved my problem - Thus I believe it is the UK version.

HTH

I don't have PTW, and therefore I didn't download the civ3ptw127f.exe file. I downloaded the civ3v129f.exe file. The size of that file is 9.91 MB. I also have the US version of the game. Is there another file that I should download?

Good questoin ... I've just realized I only have PTW and C3C patches, so I can't answer... Check the atari site and see if they have the file, and what size it is ...

Well, I found the UK version of the patch on the UK Atari website, but the file was the same size, 9.91MB, so I didn't bother to download it. (I don't have broadband and so it takes a while to download that file.) Maybe tonight I'll download the file, but I doubt it will work, since it is the same size.

I emailed Atari support, and they sent me another Civlilization3.exe file which didn't look for the CD, so my problem is solved. I guess they must hear about that problem alot if they're basically just sending a No-Cd patch to everyone with the problem. I'd advise anyone with the same problem to do the same, just send them a screenshot of the error next to the my computer window, showing that the CD is in the drive, and send them you detailed PC specifications like I did.

I have the PTW patch problem too but see neither the UK or US patch work.
the Us gives me an insert disk error and the Uk gives me a login as an admin and try again except Im the admin soo... please help

Hey all...

March 24 -- I'm having this exact problem. Tried to put 1.29 patch on Vanilla and got the "CD Not Found" routine. Only solution was to re-install the game.

I guess this problem has remained unsolved after all this time. What a shame! I guess the only solution is to buy one of the expansion packs or just live with the bugs in Vanilla.

Top Bottom