cd or d/ling?

Mr_Wonka

Chieftain
I'm going to best buy to buy the game. I'm old school. I've never d/l a game before. But I like having a cd so I can put on my other computers.

if your d/l ing the game, why?

I wanted babylon, and the other D2D deals, so thats why. Normally I prefer a 'hard copy' myself, but having bought EUIII through online download, along with a few other games, I' getting used to the idea, actually.

My computer doesn't have a DVD or CD drive. Also, installing from a hard drive is significantly faster than installing from a CD, so I won't have to wait as long to play!

Btw you can put it on your other computers with Steam: I currently have it pre-loaded on 3 separate computers.

I'm going to best buy to buy the game. I'm old school. I've never d/l a game before. But I like having a cd so I can put on my other computers.

I got the Digital Deluxe edition. I'll be able to install it on any computer I want, just like you.

There's no difference. You will have the convenience of having the initial release day build on a DVD, whereas I have the advantage of getting it for cheaper and with additional content.

While I prefer boxed editions, the only way to go Deluxe was through Steam or D2D. So with D2D's nice 10 dollar off offer (and the first DLC package free), I had to go with that.

1) I lose Cds so they are of no value to me.
2) If I want a backup on a cd I can make it through steam.
3) I don't have to spend 45 minutes driving to the store, buying and driving back

Hi, I'm the same - this is the first PC game I've ever d/loaded and I was really impressed by how simple and efficient the process was - I was also keen to play as Babylon - one of my favourite civs in the series so I got the deluxe edition.

Normally I too like to buy hard copies for that feeling of having a physical and original cd/dvd, however this time i have ordered it thru Steam so I can preload it, as I have two days off work when it comes out! Otherwise I would prob have ordered it online as that would have been quite a bit cheaper, despite the extra wait.

1) I lose Cds so they are of no value to me.
2) If I want a backup on a cd I can make it through steam.
3) I don't have to spend 45 minutes driving to the store, buying and driving back

1) Losing CDs is unfortunate. I however have never managed to lose a CD, and I have thousands of game + music CDs combined.

2) Steam is a lot better for backups / data storage. If you do break a CD, you dont have the privilege of simply downoading the game. I however have never broken a single CD. I still have my Civ I and Civ II CDs somewhere and they work. I actually still have working CDs from an ancient Commodore 64.

3) I dont either. I simply order them from Game, Amazon or Play, and they get deliverd and popped through my letterbox. Very convenient and handy, I just fallout III complete delivered yesterday, ordered it on friday, £11.99 with free delivery dispatched same day, posted on saturday. The Steam price was £29.99.

However, as most other people here have said, I went for the Civ V digital Deluxe, because it was £10 less than the boxed CE, (I didnt like or want the figurines), it came with babylon + soundtrack, I got preload, and all boxed copies also require steam so it doesnt make much difference.

Honestly I prefer getting a boxed hard copy, however I have bought a few dozen games on Steam, Good Old Games and GamersGate because of the huge discounts and sales.
Have you heard the news yet about GOG yet?
http://www.gog.com/
Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

Bought online, don't need to go to the store, I get to preload and can install it on any computer I want to play it on in the future without having to remember cds or cd-keys and stuff.

By the way, I have had a number of game cds become useless due to age. Some sectors go bad, and the cds are worthless. Steam is a reliable platform that I already own several games on and it integrates my friends list across games.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but-- even if you buy the boxed version, once you have unlocked it on Steam I *believe* you can, in fact, download it from steam without the DVDs anytime after. This is helpful in case you were to lose the DVDs by losing them or scratching them.

That being said, I bought it from Steam, and I have it pre-loaded and ready to play on Tuesday.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but-- even if you buy the boxed version, once you have unlocked it on Steam I *believe* you can, in fact, download it from steam without the DVDs. This is helpful in case you were to lose the DVDs by losing them or scratching them.

That being said, I bought it from Steam, and I have it pre-loaded and ready to play on Tuesday.

That's correct.

ALL copies of the game need to be activated on Steam to run. And then they just became like any other game purchased on Steam.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but-- even if you buy the boxed version, once you have unlocked it on Steam I *believe* you can, in fact, download it from steam without the DVDs.

Yes, that's right. Once the game is on your account, all you need to do to install it in the future is to log into your account and choose it from the list.

3), Steam sometimes is bad for buying from, what you need to do is what out for sales, as they offer really good sales, comparable if not better to other retailers, however if their is no deal running currently for the product, or a special season deal on everything, you will end up paying the RRP price, which some retailers never sell anything at, you can buy things cheap all the time. Steam however sells really cheap, a slight discount or full price.

I sometimes buy from retail stores, sometimes from Steam, though I rarely buy games for either to be much concern.

Why choose? If you go CD, you'll dowload to update anyway.

I'm going with boxed, because it's 50% cheaper than going through steam. Only downside is I have to wait for the mail to arrive.

Top Bottom