Challenge-I-08

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Any
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Speed: Epic
  • Required: Aggressive AI, Always War
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Russia (Peter)
  • Opponents: Must include China (Mao Zedong), Egypt (Ramesses II), Greece (Pericles), India (Asoka), Korea (Wang Kon), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.002 or 3.19.003
  • Date: 1st January to 30th April 2010
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

A good strategy to start this:
-Start in corner, with plenty food.
-Raging barbs+Great wall
-Do not scout! the later you make contact the better. Beating 5 medieval stacks at once is hard.

Question: can you have an AI capitulate and become your vassal under these settings?

I've started this game now, and I cannot even contact my neighbors! So, I guess I can answer my own question: No, I cannot get any vassals, as I cannot talk to the AI!?! :(

If you spawn a colony in AW *you* declare on it (which is technically illegal).

This is probably the hardest in the series yet but can certainly be done.

I got spanked in my first attempt. I'm not used to AW at all. In response I just reviewed the published submissions for OCC AW. A lot of janissary usage, those games seemed to be won via treb + mace using an early CS oracle then engineering path.

Raging barbs + gwall does seem to massively hamper the AI, around 1500 BC I had similar power to izzy with a couple axes total.

I lost a lot of battles that were good odds, but with the #'s I was getting thrown my way I couldn't keep up.

Now I'm concocting a couple new approaches. We're not forced OCC, so we potentially have more early production...I might use the same approach I did on the domination map with Joao.

Does anyone have an idea on how to win this one? :p

My 1st attempt was my 1st AW-game ever ... used that to learn this option :mischief:

My 2nd attempt went better, but still, I had to abandon it around 1400AD.
I chose Raging Barbarians and built the Great Wall to be safe. I didn't scout at all, to avoid meeting the other AIs. I had 1 stack that was able to fend of all attacks, until 3 AIs showed up simultaneously. That was too much, my city fell and with it, my whole army (except for some garrison archers and warriors) was destroyed.
In techs, I managed to keep up somewhat, helped by stealing some techs. 3 AIs were a bit ahead, but I was ahead of the other 3.

My major problem still was Commerce, though: you cannot build enough cottages on that map! After I had settled 4 cities, quite close to the capital, my :science:-slider dropped to 20%. After I had Courthouses and Markets, I only got it up to 50% while being ~breakeven. This was also due to unit costs, around 25gpt from ~1000AD on.

So, how was I supposed to be able to afford an attacking stack, not to talk about keeping foreign cities?!? :cry:
And if I cannot attack the AI, how am I supposed to win :confused:

There's always space :lol:.

No, I haven't won this yet either (If I had, I'd have completed all 10 games by now). Do note, however, that people have won this as a ONE CITY CHALLENGE on the same map, speed, and difficulty. In other words, it's possible (they seemed to like trebs and maces, a rather unusual choice of war units, though as ottomans in that gauntlet they eventually threw in jans too which surely helped).

But even though I know it's possible, I haven't pulled it off yet. I am hell bent to do all 10 games in order before I go back to refine :p. This is the bottle neck. I can win each of the remaining 2 easier than this which is saying a lot. Some things I tried that have failed:

1. Sword choke (no copper): No, they settle on copper/iron and then you can't pillage it. You can successfully choke 3-4 of the AI, but then you're exposed.

2. Tech and avoid war other than defensive units: No, there's problems with this when they 1) attack simultaneously and 2) do that awkward AI "choke" (park 5-6 units in a forest in your territory) which while crappy nevertheless slows you down. Later on it's collateral hell.

3. Horse archer charge: Actually, it might work, but this map doesn't spam horses. I've not managed to roll them close enough to make it serviceable yet.

Now, I suspect someone who has the patience to roll a triple gem start will have the commerce to oracle civil service before the AI gets it (esp with gwall harassment) and use that to fuel early medieval beatdowns, which is probably all one needs. However, I am not 100% convinced yet that one can't paint the map in blood using axes and then a last push using catapults on the remaining 1-2 AIs.

One might be tempted to crowd the map to minimize the size the AI gets individually, but I don't think it's a good idea and until I see someone do that successfully I won't change my mind. Also, it nerfs raging + gwall.

Horse archers do suffer the script somewhat though, since their movement advantage is somewhat reduced. If only we were aztec or mongolia! But we're not. We're not even AGG.

The one final possibility for a very early finish time I can envision is the sextuplet axe or chariot choke. Iron is far more common on this script, but copper/horse do exist and this can let us get in the AI face sooner. Gwall slows this down however, but w/o it we don't have barb pressing to help us.

I also haven't ruled out oracle ----> feudalism (should be very easy as the raging barbs really hamper the AI and oracle goes post 1000 BC a lot). One probably would not want to use longbows to choke (too many opponents), but I can picture feudalism buying a lot of time, not to mention the enhanced unit promos through vassalage. If one got a corner start and a lake bottle neck this could probably allow a lot of kills, GPP, and so forth on the cheap until better units become available.

I've had two tries at this as well and found commerce the big killer. 4 cities and I was down to 20% science. Food isn't really a problem so I tried Caste System to run Merchants but when the AIs come calling you want Slavery I think.

On my second game I got stalled taking out Wang (the closest AI) and was under-prepared when 3 of the rest came calling at the same time.

From what I read here, it seems not playing OCC may actually make it harder. OCC has a much greater early tech potential (on this map, probably right up until the industrial era), and you very much need to have superior units, as there is no way you can fight wars straight up with such a massive production disadvantage.

I've got a weird game going--it's 430 AD and I've not been contacted by any AI civ!! I haven't fully explored, but if I'm completely cut off by mountains and sea and the edge of the map (I'm on the right edge) I can tech my way to space or culture.

I've got a weird game going--it's 430 AD and I've not been contacted by any AI civ!! I haven't fully explored, but if I'm completely cut off by mountains and sea and the edge of the map (I'm on the right edge) I can tech my way to space or culture.

That is the ideal situation, hopefully the raging barbs and internal AI wars have slowed the others down quickly. Sometimes (I've seen it once or twice) you can be cut off by land or water from the other AI.

There's always space :lol:.

Of course, there is Space!

But with those 6 Emp-AIs, who can happily trade techs and will do so as they all like each other a lot, because some stupid human player DOWed them alltogether, I'm not sure on how to beat them to Space, while they all send stack after stack to your cities!

And the fact that you cannot get tech or resource trades going, that you cannot sell stuff and that you don't get foreign traderoutes doesn't really make it look easier. :)

Do note, however, that people have won this as a ONE CITY CHALLENGE on the same map, speed, and difficulty. In other words, it's possible

Oh, I don't doubt that it's possible, but maybe not by me?!? :D

2. Tech and avoid war other than defensive units: No, there's problems with this when they 1) attack simultaneously and 2) do that awkward AI "choke" (park 5-6 units in a forest in your territory) which while crappy nevertheless slows you down. Later on it's collateral hell.

That was exactly what I did in my game. The map was good for this strategy: I started in the left-bottom corner, I had a big lake to the east of the capital completely blocking that side off, and another lake to the northwest, leaving only 2 small passages at the left border of the map and above the capital.

I didn't scout at all, except for my neighborhood to settle some cities, and I didn't meet anyone but Pericles for an eternity.

All attacks went to 1 city, which easily fought back until Wang Kon, Ramsesses and Pericles showed up simultaneously with large stacks around 1400AD.

One might be tempted to crowd the map to minimize the size the AI gets individually, but I don't think it's a good idea and until I see someone do that successfully I won't change my mind. Also, it nerfs raging + gwall.

Even if I ignore the GWall-strategy, I can't imagine this to be a good idea, unless you like 5-6 simultaneous stacks at your borders instead of only 3 :)

I've had two tries at this as well and found commerce the big killer. 4 cities and I was down to 20% science. Food isn't really a problem so I tried Caste System to run Merchants but when the AIs come calling you want Slavery I think.

This is what I plan to try in my next attempt.

If you can stay unknown for some time, like I did in my game, you shouldn't need Slavery to build your units.

In my attempt, I wanted to use GSpies from the GWall to steal techs from the AI.

It worked, but more Beakers from Scientists, 1 or 2 Academies and some Bulbs might have worked better!

On my second game I got stalled taking out Wang (the closest AI) and was under-prepared when 3 of the rest came calling at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds quite unfair! You could go for Culture and defend your cities with 1 Warrior! :eek:
Good luck, though :king:

I cannot imagine the AI to build a city on a lake to attack you by ships?

Isn't the 'lake' considered 'coast' if he has more than 20 tiles?

I'm not sure how many tiles are required, but it is possible apparently to have lake+mountain only blocking. If someone rolls that kind of start the could conceivably get all the AI to meet them, mass units, then get locked away from ever using the units.

Especially bad for the AI which then workshop spams and otherwise hampers its improvements.

I have never seen a complete isolation spot on boreal, and I saw quite a bit of maps during the last boreal gauntlet!

I just did an OCC test game to see how the game played with Peter and these AI, but lo and behold, I ended up winning :D
I had a rather poor city resourcewise, but almost perfect isolation deep in a mountain valley. Only met Asoka by 500AD. But met them all shortly after that, and some of them were almost unharmed by barbs. It was pretty close at one point with only AI stupidity saving me. Conquest starting with rifles/trebs advancing to cossacks and finally infantry.

OCC may be the way to go for winning, though it will be hard to come close to the dates of the gauntlet without janissaries/praetorians.

Top Bottom