Challenge-I-10

1950 AD finish.

Congratulations!

After you fix those mistakes and optimize your Cities and build a few early GAs, you should be able pull in a nice 1944 AD Win, right? ;)

Maybe, one could capture more Workers, build a few less Workers and have the Capital build something else early on?

Bureaucracy and the Expansive trait where a nice combo for building Workers, eh?

Very nice write up!

Sun Tzu Wu

After you fix those mistakes and optimize your Cities and build a few early GAs, you should be able pull in a nice 1944 AD Win, right? ;)

Maybe, one could capture more Workers, build a few less Workers and have the Capital build something else early on?

Bureaucracy and the Expansive trait where a nice combo for building Workers, eh?
Thanks, Sun! :)

I surely thought I was going to win in the 20s this time, so maybe. Capturing more workers in the first five turns seems pretty hard, but a really lucky map might do it. Or maybe playing with more AIs, but then you've got a major headache at the end. Yes, building wkrs one per turn is awesome.

Are you going to try again?

Are you going to try again?

Actually, I've simply been a spectator in this Challenge series.

Although this particular Challenge was my suggestion, I suspect that I'll remain a spectator, even for this Challenge.

Great game, LowtherCastle!

Sun Tzu Wu

Well, there you go everyone.
As a generous favour to you all, I have submitted . . . by far the worst victory in this Challenge!! :king:
(I will expect special gratitude from ChrisFromLUx - whose own entry now looks comfortably mid-table)

I actually feel quite pleased, and have a small sense of pride at completing my first win at Deity level - that is not a Religious victory. And this from someone whose military prowess is (how shall I put it) somewhat less than terrifying. Let me face it, my warmongering has raised a few laughs in the past. But no longer. I conquered the world at Deity :D

As a generous favour to you all, I have submitted . . . by far the worst victory in this Challenge!! :king:
(I will expect special gratitude from ChrisFromLUx - whose own entry now looks comfortably mid-table)

I actually feel quite pleased, and have a small sense of pride at completing my first win at Deity level - that is not a Religious victory. And this from someone whose military prowess is (how shall I put it) somewhat less than terrifying. Let me face it, my warmongering has raised a few laughs in the past. But no longer. I conquered the world at Deity :D

Any Win at Deity with Any Settings is an achievement you can be proud of!

Congratulations!

Don't forget, you have beat anyone who tries and yet fails to submit a Game. This fact won't show up in the results, but it should be taken under consideration, especially at the Deity difficulty level.

--- Challenge-I-9 ---

I see that you haven't tried Challenge-I-9. A nice gentle introduction to a Quechua rush ending in a Space Colony win. That would be the next step in Deity level rushing within this Challenge Series (actually the only other Deity Challenge in Series I). It's the next easiest Deity rush (after #10's Tank rush) to pull off. Give it a try; you may give up in frustration, but I assure you that you will be better for the experience.

--- Deity Conquest, Marathon Speed, Duel Map with a single Opponent ---

Actually, it may be better to just try a Deity Conquest, Marathon Speed, Duel Map with a single Opponent. Just settle on a Plains Hill next to a Plains Hill Forest and spam a bunch of Quechuas (4-6) and take the AI's Capital City, heal, reinforce and take the AI's secondary City for the Conquest Win. Don't bother with a Barracks. Half your Quchuas will die in the attack on the Capital City. Most of the others will usually get enough experience for 1-2 promotions. Your Quechuas start with a free Combat I promotion, so promote one to Medic I (one that's earned just one promotion) and all the others that survive should be promoted to Cover and City Raider I for any second earned promotion. Just be sure not to select Aggressive AI, an AI Opponent with Protective, Aggressive or Creative traits, or an AI Opponent that likes to build up its military, although few AI Leaders will be able to resist a Quechua rush when done early enough and done with sufficient numbers of Quechuas. Gandhi would be the best Opponent to start with -- he will be less inclined to build more Archers. Be sure to attack the AI Capital on a diagonal, so the City can be taken the turn right after the declaration of War. If the AI Capital has three rings of Culture (Defense 40), you have delayed the rush too long and probably should abandon the attempt. Also, if the AI founds a Religion, consider attacking the Holy City first, since its Culture grows at 5 Cpt versus the Capital's 2 Cpt. Thus, Gandhi may not be such a good Opponent, if he founds a Religion before your Quechua rush is well under way. Elizabeth, Fredrick, Ramesses II (maybe), and Roosevelt may be better Opponents that fit all the qualifications mentioned above.

Sun Tzu Wu

There you go: Thank you, AgedOne, for 'stealing' my last place! :D

Congratulations on your Deity-Conquest-victory, though! Like Sun Tzu Wu already said, not everybody manages to win that challenge.

I myself will try to improve my result in this game a little bit, once I have dominated in game 5. A victory in the 1980s will be the goal ... and then, I'll call it a challenge!

Congratulations! Its a big confidence builder isn't it?

Just getting a victory in these games is plenty of challenge. Enjoy!

Any Win at Deity with Any Settings is an achievement you can be proud of!
Don't forget, you have beat anyone who tries and yet fails to submit a Game.
Absolutely! You said it Sun Tzu Wu. I will try to maintain a very balanced view, and neither exaggerate my own achievement nor knock it down without due reason.

I see that you haven't tried Challenge-I-9.
I read your comments with interest. I can't remember ever using the infamous Quechua rush. Obviously, it isn't allowed in most HoF games anyway. I think there might be time before this one draws to a finish. I would like to get at least a submission in more than half of the games in this challenge.

...Thank you, AgedOne, for 'stealing' my last place! :D
*chuckle* Yes. You're welcome. I think...

I myself will try to improve my result in this game a little bit, once I have dominated in game 5.
Yes, Funny, but I haven't had much luck in a few attempts to improve on this one. Somehow I haven't been able to get the same start. Possibly, in trying to cut a few turns at the start I have attacked when still just under-powered. All you need is a couple of bad rolls on the RNG and the game suddenly looks impossible. Then I had another where Stalin (again my first opponent) just would not capitulate, and then put up an impressive defence of his last city. It just lost me too much time. Strange, the way it goes.

Congratulations! Its a big confidence builder isn't it?

Just getting a victory in these games is plenty of challenge. Enjoy!
Cheers! I can just remember that around the end of 2008 I considered myself a Monarch-level player, and had certainly never beated Deity in any kind of game. Now I've got my EQM at Emperor, and a couple of Deity wins. It's all progress!

Yes, Funny, but I haven't had much luck in a few attempts to improve on this one. Somehow I haven't been able to get the same start. Possibly, in trying to cut a few turns at the start I have attacked when still just under-powered. All you need is a couple of bad rolls on the RNG and the game suddenly looks impossible.

Hah, there it is ... I finished in 1989AD!

10th place so far, but a lot better than my first 2002AD-finish.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing their thoughts, which allowed me to improve my opening turns a lot! :goodjob:

@AgedOne: sorry for leaving you alone in the 2000AD's :blush:

Really a fantastic date LC. Couldnt hope to beat that one. You really have to get a great map and play perfectly with so few moves.

Really a fantastic date LC. Couldnt hope to beat that one. You really have to get a great map and play perfectly with so few moves.
Thanks. I'm honored to get a compliment from you! :)

I thought about doing it again and keeping a play-by-play, and uploading the starting save, so anyone interested could replicate how to do it. I imagine this would be a good way for people finishing much later to learn. Alas...not enough time.

Top Bottom