Challenge-IX-02

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Great Plains
  • Speed: Normal
  • Required: Raging Barbarians, Always War, Require complete kills, No Vassal States, No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Mongolia (Genghis Khan)
  • Opponents: Must include China (Qin Shi Huang), India (Gandhi), Korea (Wang Kon), Ottoman (Mehmed II), Persia (Darius), Russia (Catherine)
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 9th October 2012 to 9th February 2013
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Taking a stab at this one first. Actually usually don't like too many AW games in this set as there's been too many IMO, but this one is a blast. Easy, but a blast. Just lots of killing...mainly the AI :D

Great Plains just has so much production if you roll that right map, which can take quite some time with this script since you will frequently roll completely bizarre no resource starts. Oddly, in my current super cow game, there's not horses for miles.

oui :lol:

1380AD on first attempt. The "complete kills" thing does throw things off a bit. Never played it before. Not sure, but it seem that enemy spies keep a civ alive but the game ends regardless when the last civ dies even if spies are out there.

I expect the date to be a lot better. In my game, I had no gold or gems. No horses. In fact, I had to go to IW before I had an attack unit. My cap was nice though otherwise. Keshiks should speed things up a lot, but they are tricky as well since you need defense. I overestimated the AIs on this level in AW. Wih quicker strat resources one should be able to push harder early before any swarms come your way, most of which were easily containable.

I'm going to keep trying to get Keshiks up.

Fun game.

Glad you liked it :)

It sticks true to the nature of Genghis Khan who as you know was notorious for killing cities full of people (including children and women).

I have to give this one a shot myself since I did suggest it :p

Glad you liked it :)

It sticks true to the nature of Genghis Khan who as you know was notorious for killing cities full of people (including children and women).

I have to give this one a shot myself since I did suggest it :p

Yes, Ghenghis Khan was very notorious! Iran only regained its former population in the 1950's.

From the history books:
"The Secret History reports it was only after the war against the Muslim empire of Khwarezm, in the region of the Amu Darya (Oxus) and Syr-darya (Jaxartes), probably in late 1222, that Genghis Khan learned from Muslim advisers the "meaning and importance of towns." And it was another adviser, formerly in the service of the Chin emperor, who explained to him the uses of peasants and craftsmen as producers of taxable goods. He had intended to turn the cultivated fields of north China into grazing land for his horses."

Northern China caught a break! Reread that last sentence and think about it. :crazyeye:

His grandson also sent an invasion fleet towards Japan so big, it wasn't surpassed until Normandy in WWII. A great typhoon sank it killing 10,000's. It was tried again 7 years later with identical results. The Japanese were so happy with the miracles, they named the typhoons Kamikaze or "Divine Wind".

This map script has some extremely wonky capital generation! I keep getting the 3 Corn 4 Pig cities, or the 0 food at all cities. I have yet to see one of those super cow sites. Also Darius got a capital with 5 horses once, and no food once. Like wtf is going on.

^
Great Plains mapscript is qualified as a wacky one because it modifies the most basic rules of the normalizer. Most maps just play on land distributions and a bit on resources, but Oasis, GPlains, Rainforest, Boreal, etc. make a mess into resources distributions (like getting 8 food in a BFC), no starting location normalizer or a very simple one barely fair. Like boreal ensures two food resources for capital at least IIRC. Is that comparable to someone with 8 deers, uh, no!

Well to be honest this challenger only makes it worse due to you wanting to start near horse, and the spots near horse have no food. :p

Yep I know, and all of the starts I rolled in the plains literally have 0 food. Not even cows, or flood plains.

Well I decided to give this a go. Aways war = always fun (at Prince anyway). Had 3 cows and stone in BFC as well as 2 floodplains. Horses popped in BFC, which you've got to love.

Just got me some keshiks and went plundering. Won in 800AD or something like that.

Require complete kills was interesting. After I killed Darius, couldn't find his last unit but it must have got killed by barbs 1,500 years later (just before I won).

I too won my game after capturing the last city and even though one AI was still alive. :confused:

So I believe there is a misconception as to what “Require complete kills” does with regard to Conquest victories. I ran a test game with worldbuilder and it verified that you don’t have to kill all AI units to win Conquest; owning all non-barbarian cities is sufficient. So all that the option does is not deleting all remaining units of an AI whose last city was conquered. :crazyeye:

This can actually be quite helpful in other (HOF) games, as it allows for conquering AI workers after capturing their last city. :)

What you said is true, Pollina. But what about big stacks you mislead and then capture the last city? That's a trick I use sometimes to make vanish big stacks. How to kill culture that gives motherland unhappiness without sacrificing units on killing the remaining units of a declining culture (no more cities).

On low levels, yes, that can be useful, but on higher it decreases in effectiveness.

I never played complete kill option, so I have no idea how reacts units after last city down. I suppose military ones will gun for our cities until we force a peace deal and what about workers?
Either freeze incapable to join a city or flee interminably.

What you said is true, Pollina. But what about big stacks you mislead and then capture the last city? That's a trick I use sometimes to make vanish big stacks. How to kill culture that gives motherland unhappiness without sacrificing units on killing the remaining units of a declining culture (no more cities).

On low levels, yes, that can be useful, but on higher it decreases in effectiveness.

I never played complete kill option, so I have no idea how reacts units after last city down. I suppose military ones will gun for our cities until we force a peace deal and what about workers?
Either freeze incapable to join a city or flee interminably.

Yeah, you’re right. Using the option on higher levels is not really a good idea. I was thinking of some situations in g-minor games I played, when I had to decide whether to capture a worker and give a city time to build/whip reinforcements or take the city and lose the worker. “Require complete kills” might in some cases allow you to do both. But I’m not sure, if that would be worth it.

Top Bottom