Challenge-VI-02

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Hemispheres
  • Speed: Normal
  • Required: No Vassal States, No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: China (Mao Zedong)
  • Opponents: Must include Babylon (Hammurabi), Greece (Alexander), Holy Roman Empire (Charlemange), Khmer (Suryavarman), Mali (Mansa Musa), Maya (Pacal), Native America (Sitting Bull), Persia (Darius), Rome (Julius Caesar), Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 6th October 2011 to 6th February 2012
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I'm a noob but gave this one a try. Currently i don't think i'm gonna make it before 2050. I only have 1/4 of the initial continent and it's already 1470. There is still mansa and hamurabi with a tech lead of 10+ techs. Although i did pretty well with killing the holy romans i'm like a couple of turns behind each time. Like when attacking his capitol he got feudalism on the exact turn when i was going for him which cost me like 4 cata's instead of maybe 1. Same as for another time where he got machinery just before i invaded him with mostly maceman. Now i have a nice knight count and obviously weak charlemagne just got engineering and is stacking his infamous landsknecht so i have to suicide pretty much.

I think the first civ i went for was the reason for the so callled snowball effect. Sitting bull, attacking him first was a big mistake, but at the time it seemed right (didn't know the power of the dog soldier). Took me an age to take his capitol.

Since most of the opponents have early UU i think it's vital to pick the right civ to attack. Probably thats always vital, but hey i come from Monarch and this might be to much for me. I give it another try though, plenty of save games.

If anyone can hand some good tips on this one, i'm all ears. Rushing cho-ko's isn't a good option right? The good old swordsman + cata's should go a long way i think.

Starting off with this one. Rolled around until I hit an OK start with plainscow + 3 FP + clam + 2 gold (food light, but good on production and commerce). Teching AH revealed horse just outside BFC so I settled a good 2nd city (without needing a border pop) and just went straight to wheel, HBR, BW, Pottery, Writing, Alpha. At the end of BC I have hammurabi and darius dead with charly and Ragnar still left on my continent. That's a very average pace but I need to think long-term here which is intercontinental war and for that I need tech.

Techwise I have alpha/currency/code/monarchy and a few turns after 1 AD picked up calendar. Comically I ripped code off darius in a peace deal after taking his capitol (he had a monopoly on it) and with these techs I can keep conquering basically. Fortunately, neither Pacal nor Ragnar have HBR, Monarchy, or Construction yet at 75AD, and charly/Ragnar are fighting while Maya is near me. If I can sweep away everyone but charlie (IE kill all buddhists and leave the hindu) I can probably farm him for trade routes + minor tech while I consolidate 3 and possibly 4 AI. He's worth considering as a PA partner too if he keeps at war with vikings as it would save me the time of having to conquer him and I'll already have 20+ cities without doing so ---> more than enough productive base to chain capture cities on another continent.

Well I basicly scrapped my first attemped at this by deleting my own military to get a PA that I couldn't get because of hidden game mechanics that make no sense. That hurts the motivation to try again way more than legitimatly loosing. :mad:

Well I basicly scrapped my first attemped at this by deleting my own military to get a PA that I couldn't get because of hidden game mechanics that make no sense. That hurts the motivation to try again way more than legitimatly loosing. :mad:

Now you know why I hate huts, events, TAP, hidden diplo, and all the other things that have screwed me over the years. I play quickly. I play a lot of games. Most of the frustrations here I've experienced personally, including this one a few years back. When I lose, I want to be because I made a miscalculation in game rules or my opponents outplayed me, not because the rules of the game were hidden or 2-3 players chose to randomly not try.....

Okay, if things roll my way I'm looking at a late 1600's AD finish for this. Is it possible on hemispheres to win domination on 1 hemisphere continent only? If not I don't think anybody is breaking 1000 AD though some might get close. If it IS possible someone is going to win in the BC but then these settings are kind of crappy.

One can GS bulb Machinery and Engineering by following this strategy:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10891884&postcount=21

Although the above post assumes Suleiman and his Philosophical trait, you do not need the Philosophical trait to generate two Great Scientists with a non-Philosophical Leader like Mao Zedong. Just complete Writing and two Libraries ASAP and run 2 Scietists in each Library until you have one Great Scientist generated by the Scientists in each city.

Also note that China's unique unit, Cho-Ko-Nu, has 1 more first strike plus causes collateral damage neither of which its base unit, the Crossbowmen can do.

Follow this up with trading for Compass and possibly Optics and bulb Astronomy for Galleons and send your best units to the other World and conquer enough of it to win domination. Send 1-2 Great Artists along to grab land quickly via Great Works to hasten Land Domination.

Sun Tzu Wu

One can GS bulb Machinery and Engineering by following this strategy:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10891884&postcount=21

Although the above post assumes Suleiman and his Philosophical trait, you do not need the Philosophical trait to generate two Great Scientists with a non-Philosophical Leader like Mao Zedong. Just complete Writing and two Libraries ASAP and run 2 Scietists in each Library until you have one Great Scientist generated by the Scientists in each city.

Also note that China's unique unit, Cho-Ko-Nu, has 1 more first strike plus causes collateral damage neither of which its base unit, the Crossbowmen can do.

Follow this up with trading for Compass and possibly Optics and bulb Astronomy for Galleons and send your best units to the other World and conquer enough of it to win domination. Send 1-2 Great Artists along to grab land quickly via Great Works to hasten Land Domination.

Sun Tzu Wu

I'm thinking something like this might win but w/o vassal states I wonder if you can move quickly enough...once they get engineering it gets mighty slow.

I'm thinking something like this might win but w/o vassal states I wonder if you can move quickly enough...once they get engineering it gets mighty slow.

There are three reasons why this should work better than in G-Major-96:

1. G-Major-96 started offensively with Crossbowmen while Challenge VI-2 starts with Cho-Ko-Nu
  2. G-Major-96 was Quick speed while Challenge VI-2 is Normal speed
  3. G-Major-96 was Deity while challenge VI-2 is Emperor
Note that Cho-Ko-Nu units allow one to be a bit short of barrage siege units (Trebuchets), since only 1-2 Trebuchets used for barrage attacks can cause enough damage to make subsequent attacks by Cho-Ko-Nu units to be at good odds (at least 80%).

Of course you are right that lack of vassals will take away the capitulation option, but lack of vassals helps in other ways, such as the AI can't have vassals either.

In my opinion, the weakest part of this strategy is the Galleon Invasion of the other continent.

Note for bulbing of Astronomy ASAP, one must avoid Meditation to prevent the Philosophy bulb and avoid Civil Service and Theology to avoid the Paper bulb. For Astronomy, one needs only Optics which a GS can also bulb and Calendar.

For stronger military for the galleon invasion, one can follow several different paths, but this one seems best to me:

Guilds (Knights) -> Gunpowder (Musketmen) -> Chemistry (Frigates) -> Steel (Cannons) -> Military Science (Grenadiers)

Note that Musketman will need support of Knights to be effective; when you can build Cannons, stop building Musketman; Upgrade all Trebuchets to Cannons. Overwhelm one of the largest Civs in the other continent with Cannons, plant a couple Great Artists and Domination Victory should be yours.

I believe that a non-Philosophical leader may be able to generate another 2 Great Scientists to bulb Optics and part of Astronomy, and may be able to generate two Great Artists as well, but it will take some coordination of the cities generating them optimally and may require a switch to Caste System after the Engineering bulb (trade for Code of Laws). Trading for Drama (Theatre) may be possible, and running just 2 Artists per city may get two Great Artists out in time, but I'm not sure. Note that the real reason for using Great Artists to create a Great Work in a captured is the city will avoid disorder and pop to Cultural Boundary 4 immediately; this is much better than waiting for about 10t of disorder and then whipping a Theatre and running Artists, or running Caste System and Artists or just building Culture; its the captured city disorder that slows down later era domination victories.

Sun Tzu Wu

Crossed the finish line, a bit earlier than expected too at 1610 AD. Someone who can cross the continents with lower tech units can probably beat it by a lot, otherwise I wouldn't expect more than 20-30 turns improvement. We'll see what happens though.

Nice time TMIT. I think I was on route to a 17th cent. finish date as well when this happened. http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7935/civerror.jpg
Needless to say that like a real noob I didn't set the autosave intervall to 1 turn, because I though well I've never had a crash to desktop in civ. :lol:

Oh man, I'll play this map one more time. If it doesn't work out this time I'm calling it quits, cause this will be take four that I play past lib. :crazyeye:

Nice time TMIT.

I concur. 1610 AD Domination is great for these settings, especially No Vassals and Hemispheres.

EDIT: m00n, my condolences for the loss of your game due to crash to desk (that must be the worst possible way to lose).

Sun Tzu Wu

Nice time TMIT. I think I was on route to a 17th cent. finish date as well when this happened. http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7935/civerror.jpg
Needless to say that like a real noob I didn't set the autosave intervall to 1 turn, because I though well I've never had a crash to desktop in civ. :lol:

Oh man, I'll play this map one more time. If it doesn't work out this time I'm calling it quits, cause this will be take four that I play past lib. :crazyeye:

Ouch! I see people are really unfortunate these times.

Man that's enough for hemispheres for now :D
Anyway I didn't quite beat TMITs time but I'm very happy with the result I got in the end. This game was almost exactly the same timing as last one. Only that my continent was smaller and I got a PA partner. So instead of having 45% on my own at 1500 AD when I began cross continent invasion, I had 45% with my PA partner Charly. I was a bit later for the invasion ~1550 AD this time, but I had cav instead of currassiers and I had PA culture to take possetion of the conqured lands immediately. It all burns down to a mid 17th century time in both games and 1655 AD would be good for me even on a pangea map with vassals :king:

There submitted a 1695AD victory. This map sure learned me a lot about keeping my empire from going on strike, never been good at that.
About my map itself, had the smaller continent by about 4% so that made me need to take a few more cities on the other one.
Also had quite some barb problems at the start due to the large open space north. Hadn't anticipated such potential barb trouble with the supposed crowded map.
This did slow down my Horse Archers quite a bit since they pillaged my horses...
For conquering the AI I just used HA and Knights.

Top Bottom