Challenge-XIX-01

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series - "Fall of the Inca II". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 << or >>>BUFFY MOD 3.19.004b<<<.
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Monarch
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Epic
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Carthage (Hannibal), England (Elizabeth), Inca (Huayna Capac), Korea (Wang Kon), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Persia (Darius)
  • Version: 3.19.004b
  • Date: 10th September 2017 to 9th March 2018
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Submitted my first game with 1660AD victory (turn 352). Looking at the current top HoF date of 1655AD (turn 355, Warlords) I believe I did quite well.

I started a game with Gandhi with normal map settings and no additional AI. I did not even reroll the start. Wanted to get a feel for the game with jesusin's strategy article as a general guide.

A short overview of the game:
Shared the continent with Darius, Hannibal and Wang Kon.
I was able to get 7 cities by 470bc. 3 Legendaries, 1 GP farm and 3 helper cities (one for early settler/worker pump, one to claim copper and marble, and one just for help).
Only 2 religions got founded (Confucianism and Taoism). Both by me. Since there were only 2 useable religions, only a total of 4 Cathedrals could be built.
Late in the game Hannibal founded Islam. It got no use.
I got 1 Great Scientist for the Academy, 1 unlucky Great Prophet (4% chance) which I used for a Golden Age and a total of 16 Great Artists (one came from Music).
The Prophet at 4% was due to the city governor assigning one automatically after citygrowth. I missed that for only 1 or 2 turns.
I did not go for Oracle and Pyramids. No stone available and marble got hooked up too late.
Hannibal teched Alphabet at 470bc (turn 142). I believe that is way too late to get the early necessary techs for the Oracle and/or Pyramids gambit.
Built the following wonders: Hermitage, The Sistine Chapel, The Parthenon, The Taj Mahal, and National Epic.
Some key tech dates: 410bc Civil Service, 505ad Liberalism for Printing Press, 670ad Nationalism after which I switched to 100% culture.

This being my first try to play a cultural game the current top HoF date can be beaten easily by anyone who wants to give it a try. Maybe 13xx or even faster is possible.

Good luck everyone!

Gandhi is good, Lizzy might be better but she's an AI :)
I think Phi probably beats Fin, so not sure if there are other leader options.

On Monarch AIs are def too slow with Alpha, yup.
In another game i beelined it myself, and traded for stuff like BW or Oracle techs.

Did you add Mansa?

@Fippy
No, I did not add Mansa since this was just a test game. Next game I'm putting him in.

I will also play with low sealevels for more room to expand. No need to worry that AI's will ever get a Space Victory.

Another pro for Gandhi, he's Spi for a lot of civic changes.

Tbh i am wondering if it's intentional that bad map types are picked for culture challenges ;)

Had a nice game, but geez any type of continents map auto slows you down by meeting less AIs.

Correct if you use spies that will be an Espionage victory and not qualify for this Challenge.

Is there a link to more detail on this?
Should be in jesusin's main thread from way back when. If you can link that thread, I could look for it. It's toward the end iirc.

Top Bottom