Challenge-XIX-02

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series - "Fall of the Inca II". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 << or >>>BUFFY MOD 3.19.004b<<<.
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Speed: Quick
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Civ: Mongolia
  • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), Arabia (Saladin), Inca (Huayna Capac), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
  • Date: 10th September 2017 to 9th March 2018
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Thanks to @elitetroops for this one:-

If you're doing a continuation to Fall of the Inca, then immortal/quick/domination, small or normal map size, would be worthy but doable targets. Pangaea playing Mongols, any leader. Maybe small map size is better, as imm/quick/domination can seem a bit intimidating.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Kublai seems the best choice by far for domination. Currently the #1 HoF date to beat is 800AD. With Kublai I once played a 400AD imm/small/quick/conquest game (but unfortunately I had lost the starting save and couldn't submit to HoF), so I know this Inca game can be beaten for sure.

Standard tricks for finding micro-pangaea apply. And probably max opponents.

Edit: on second thought, maximum opponents might be a big mistake here. Especially if Keshiks are the weapon of choice. Once they run out of space to expand, which they will almost immediately if max opponents, they start building stacks. Might be better if they have a bit more room to expand while you tech HBR...

Last edited:
I am seriously considering Axes here, Genghis would get the strongest possible with faster generals added.
I think comparing bfc copper to Keshiks could be very interesting, now where to find that guaranteed copper start ;)

Have a game going where I have vassalled Roosevelt, Sally and Isabella. HC will capitulate too. The land threshold for Domination is 68% but only got 60. If I accept HC cap then it will be Conquest, not Domination?

Should have used max opponents. Also for easier tech trading.

If you vassalise (is that a word?) HC then you will probably be over the 68% and I'm not sure which victory you would get (Domination or Conquest). I'd take his cities, raze them and replace with settlers and also spam settlers into any unclaimed land as well to make sure.
Yes, I should have done that. But still pondering about which victory I will get this turn if accepting HC capitulation.

If both victory conditions are satisfied, it's a coin toss. Might get either.
Thanks! Coin toss went well. Got domination.
Anyway, I screwed up so might have another try later. But perhaps still submit it so something going on at the leaderboard.

Last edited:
Wonder if vassals are a good idea, gives 50% of their land but faster hmm..

Maybe settlers (only, almost) after a nice Keshik army would be something, settling everything that's free and turning research off after hbr already so it's affordable ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, but the good thing about vassals is techtrading and you also tell them what to tech. So finding the perfekt balance are also something to figure out.

On a game currently where i started with Genghis and Axes, really weak start too by HoF standards without gold or gem mines.
Plains hill start for 2 fast warriors and worker stealing i looked for, was ment as testing game but then really went well so i continued ;)

Curious to see where that will end, when i got HBR i already had plenty cities taken with Axes and can produce Keshiks very fast.
Time really flies on quick :)

So i think this went well, 40 AD :)

Strike only for ~2 turns in the end, before that plunder gold kept my horde alive.
Axes into Keshiks, with Axes i took HCs capital and all of Asoka's cities (added both indians, 7 AIs total) and started a bit on Roosi where the first Keshiks arrived.

Difficult to say what's worth more imo, normal Keshiks preparation and having them much faster than i did, or a nice amount of land with Axes first.
Maybe plunder gold favors Axes, a bit.

Attachments

• genghis.jpg
    genghis.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Wow, nice game, My! ;) Did you hit any LBs near the end?

That is very impressive, Fippy! Especially since you apparently didn't cheese the settings for minimal land mass. You really had to conquer a LOT of land there!

Interesting pick to go with Genghis. If you did it again, would you still pick the same?

Sorry guys, i totally did not see your replies :(
Very much appreciate your comments :)

Did not encounter longbows, nope.
I picked high sea level i think? Are there other ways to make them smaller Elite? :)

Used Genghis cos i thought cheaper settlers and especially faster generals would be good at start (for Axes).
I expected to take stonehenge from an AI, lucky for me it was really close, so border pops where nps.
I think Kublai is better if going for Keshiks first, good old library and maybe maths bulb?
So hmm..i would probably take Genghis again if using Axes, it's very nice to have lots of highly promoted units fast.

Last edited:
I picked high sea level i think? Are there other ways to make them smaller Elite? :)
Toroidal wrap, solid shoreline, high sea level can produce micropangaeas. With these settings 300 tiles is somewhat common and 240 tiles is also possible, although more rare.

Top Bottom