Challenge-XIX-04

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series - "Fall of the Inca II". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 << or >>>BUFFY MOD 3.19.004b<<<.
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Speed: Normal
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Civ: Aztec (Montezuma)
  • Opponents: Must include India (Asoka), India (Gandhi)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
  • Date: 10th September 2017 to 9th March 2018
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Eets all about ze Woody II

Got a 125BC date on first try. Far away from neilmeister's date with Inca on this setting, but I'm sure my date can be beaten with the right conditions and tactics. Not sure if Inca date can be beat though...may depend on lucky hutting.

I should note that this is really a fun game. Jags are a blast in the right setting.

Few notes that I'm sure better players will most likely improve on:

1) Use huts and turn off barbs. I considered barbs for XP, but they can be a real problem on this map and there is no time for GW.
2) Straight to IW. Deer is in abundance on this map so no need for early food techs.
3) Very easy to roll deer/gems starts. It's actually very common, so this is what you want
4) Send first two Jags each to both Asoka and Gandhi. You want each Jag to get to WIII asap. WIII is very powerful in forest, not to mention the healing. You can kill archers in forest with ease, usually nabbing some settlers (workers) in the process. Obviously you will use these initial WIII Jags to choke and prevent AIs from settling more cities, until more Jags arrive. Probably give these WIII Jags Cover as next promo over anything else...you can GG one later.
5) Probably will end up deleting a ton of workers as you will nab so many.
6) Obviously choke out any metals AIs might have
7) Probably only settle one additional city just for more Jag production...really no time for more and maintenance will become an issue.
8) Technically IW is all you need and you can shut off research after the wheel. You will want to save gold from there to avoid strike, which I had no problem with from pillaging and city capture.

Proximity of AI is probably a factor. In my game, Asoka was a bit far away so this hurt. He actually got iron online but I pillaged it before he built any metal units, but his distance was a factor. Gandhi went down easily.

AIs will likely get at least 2 or 3 cities..more likely 3 at least before you can really shut them down. In my game I did hold Gandhi to 2, but Asoka got to 5 cities before I could clamp down - again, mainly as he was farther away.

Ha..thought I'd post up a interesting pic of an obviously busted second attempt at this:

Spoiler Anybody got a boat for rent? :

Game was pretty much toast once I realized there was a huge sheet of ice between me and Gandhi, but if you note the two little circles (not the ice sheet squiggles) in the screenshot and the fact that the Eastern mountain chain is locked, you can see that sheets of ice were the least of my problems :lol:

:)
Spoiler :
Not sure what's Neils date, but can certainly be a couple turns quicker than my 1360BC.

Was really enjoyable, merci for the idea Lymo ~~

Attachments

• monty.jpg
    monty.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Not sure what's Neils date, but can certainly be a couple turns quicker than my 1360BC.
Great effort and top of the Challenge entries so far, Neil's date is 1560BC which is going to be tough to beat without Quechas - hope you all keep trying though!

Awesome game, My! ;)

Hmm that's 8 turns or so, yup very hard to beat.

I think what i missed most was another worker, built a 2nd one at size 2 (working deer + gems) and then i think i made a mistake in improving another deer rather than chopping a 3rd worker. Imo it's all about getting the first Jags very fast, using 1 pop whips and chops should support so many come out in 1t intervals.

Did not choke, but gather i think 3 to attack fast instead without warning.
Workers are so important to road soon after, Ice is very common and was between me and Gandhi (attacked Asoka first).
Having only 2 slowed me down.

Top Bottom